Oil filter relocation advice

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2013, 06:37 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter relocation advice

Good morning, all

I'm in the process of installing an oil cooler on my classic and it's been strongly suggested that I move the oil filter from its stock location at the same time.

I have everything I need for this except for a very good place to mount the filter in the engine bay - I'm not comfortable with moving it to the inner wing because it's just going to be too vulnerable there. There is sort of enough room behind the RH headlight if I relocate the charcoal canister but there are some concerns. First of all, am I limited in how high I can mount the filter?

This is what I need to find a place for - filter mount plus thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil cooler

Name:  IMG_0594.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.9 KB

If I mount it sideways there's a bit more room and it will be easier to change the filter but I priming the filter will be quite hard

Name:  IMG_0592.jpg
Size:  84.8 KB

This is the way I'd like to mount this whole contraption even though it will be a pita to replace the filter. The main concen is just how high it will be in relation to the stock location and to the oil pan.

Name:  IMG_0593.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

So has anyone got any thoughts and ideas on this? If you've done this before your input (and pictures! ) will be greatly appreciated.

Also here's my highly technical diagram of what the connections are going to be like

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by alessio; 27 January 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 27 January 2013, 07:15 AM
V9 STi
Scooby Regular

Personally wouldn't move it unless I absolutely had to...
Old 27 January 2013, 08:06 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

That's actually also very much an option. I was concerned that with the sandwich plate the filter would be too low but with the Modine removed it's not a concern anymore. Why do people move the filters other than to make filter changes easier?
Old 27 January 2013, 08:30 AM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alessio
That's actually also very much an option. I was concerned that with the sandwich plate the filter would be too low but with the Modine removed it's not a concern anymore. Why do people move the filters other than to make filter changes easier?
I had one of these fitted to mine and put the filter in the inner wing but was advised by Hdc Subaru run by Howard (top bloke) that on a road car even running big power it's not really needed its more for heavy track use so took mine off. The reason for relocating the filter in a lot of cases is that some aftermarket headers ( which I also had on mine) make it almost impossible to fit the sandwich plate and filter in stock location
Old 27 January 2013, 08:53 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

I see, thanks zippy.

Im running standard headers but I am planning to use the car on the track a lot - ironically the very reason I don't want to put it in the inner wing as that part tends to hit hard objects first.

So are you running an oil cooler?
Old 27 January 2013, 11:50 PM
nzwst
Scooby Newbie

Im doing the exact same on my 93' ahhh, anyone help the situation?!?!? heres wat i have- wat do i need to buy to complete the circuit and can sumone draw on my picture and repost it on wat goes where, wat i need buy possibly, and yeah- im not stupid just learning :/

Old 28 January 2013, 09:30 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

It's not too easy to tell from this picture.

First of all, I would be very cautions installing a used oil cooler onto my car because if it came from a car with a damaged engine you're very likely to get in trouble with shavings that will be trapped in it.

I cannot really understand whether it's designed to work in-line or not but at the very least you're missing one hose. Maybe two hoses if there is a separate inlet and outlet for the oil cooler in the filter housing.
Old 28 January 2013, 09:37 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

why relocate it?

funky blue one

not the greatest of pics, but mine is fitted straight onto the underside, (this is before fitting)

Old 28 January 2013, 10:13 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

So just a sandwich plate under the filter? No thermostat? Are you still running the modine cooler?

The reasons to relocate, as explained by David from API, are to make it a bit more accessible for oil changes, to increase oil capacity due to additional oil in the hoses and to move the filter away from the exhaust headers to help keep it cool. These all make sense but I'm just not sure that the pros weigh over the cons here (i.e. hard to find a place for it, more things to go wrong, etc).
Old 28 January 2013, 10:26 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the sandwich plate its the thermostat.

David knows his stuff, but lifting the car and then just undoing the plug on the sump, then filter etc etc is exactly the same.

bit dark but this is mine, fits between rad and front mount.

Name:  IMAGE_00035.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 28 January 2013, 10:26 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

just to add, this is on a classic
Old 30 January 2013, 07:27 PM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Well this did not go well at all - the sandwich plate does not want to fit onto the block as there's just so little room there Depending on which way I turn it it either catches on the edge of the oil pan or on the timing belt cover. Also getting the hoses around the bloody headers is a bit of a nightmare.

Tidgy, is it just the picture or has your oil pan been trimmed a bit?
Old 31 January 2013, 08:01 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Just the pic i think matey i'll ask the question next time im up to confirm though