Notices

bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2013, 08:18 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bit of advice

i will be fitting my new exhaust over the weekend so i thought as i wont need my car untill monday i would go and have a crack now, glad you cant use some of the words my dad said to me ha!

well basically im doing it with the car on the ground laying under it, trying to remove the backbox bolts they seem to have rusted to the flange both side, they all seem to be odd size nuts aswell, 11mm, 14mm, and 12mm is that a subaru thing haha, ive tried spraying freeze and release, and plus gas both to no effect, i would undo the front clamp looks to be alloy bolts and still shiny so i dout there stuck just its a hell of a weight to lift off the hangers

what has anybody here done that have done it on there drive used to remove them

Thanks
Old 22 January 2013, 08:33 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

You'll always struggle on your back without the correct tools. Soak in WD40 or equivelent overnight they might release then. If not grinder for the bolt heads of if you have access to a compressor air guns help with tight nuts.

Right tools and experience would make things a lot easier
Old 22 January 2013, 08:50 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replying its a shame as i work as a engineer so do stuff like this on a daily basis, just im not aloud to use any of the work pits or heating torches, kind of sucks! so im stuck just using my tool collection and a my ramps but im abit hesitant to use them on this car as its bite heavier than my old 180! there isnt quite enough space to lay under there with an angle grinder "/
Old 22 January 2013, 11:25 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it off at the centre section, Unbolt it all and take the hangers off from the back box first and put your spare wheel under it, Then do it when its off the car
Old 22 January 2013, 11:30 PM
Imprezive
Scooby Regular

Halfords a tin of camping gas and a blow gun heat the thing and then shock it and will undo just fine. I'm in the middle or restoring my classic and every bolt head was like this , a few we're that badly rusted I had to drop 2 or 3 metric sizes just to get a head round it , I'm also working of my back in the garden on axcel stands so I share your pain.

Last edited by Imprezive; 22 January 2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 22 January 2013, 11:33 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

I did mine on my back. I took the center section off from the down pipe. So it all drops as one, and then took my grinder to all the bolts. Job done lol
Old 22 January 2013, 11:35 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Take it off at the centre section, Unbolt it all and take the hangers off from the back box first and put your spare wheel under it, Then do it when its off the car
Thanks Gaz! so you think unbolt from the de-cat pipe and drag it out from back off the car do you know if (if you have done yours) the bolt with a spring is alloy doesnt seem to have any rust on so should that just undo trouble free?

i could try but i cant get under there by crawling im not small enough to get that far under the car!
Old 22 January 2013, 11:38 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Imprezive
Halfords a tin of camping gas and a blow gun heat the thing and then shock it and will undo just fine. I'm in the middle or restoring my classic and every bolt head was like this , a few we're that badly rusted I had to drop 2 or 3 metric sizes just to get a head round it , I'm also working of my back in the garden on axcel stands so I share your pain.
thanks for the reply! i use heat at work when stuff wont budge always works a treat just like like being near naked flame and fuel tank :P

nothing worse than working outside at night in this weather, but its us that choice to do so can only blame ourselves
Old 23 January 2013, 10:21 AM
Imprezive
Scooby Regular

I blame my dad, was his untill he neglected her then was singed over ti me, i took center section and box box off as one dragged out from the back then just blasted them with heat using a fire blanket around the fuel tank and lines on the left hand side and pop, job done.

Originally Posted by Dan-
thanks for the reply! i use heat at work when stuff wont budge always works a treat just like like being near naked flame and fuel tank :P

nothing worse than working outside at night in this weather, but its us that choice to do so can only blame ourselves