Notices

Thrownd upon induction kits for a uk... So what to coose?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2013, 12:20 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrownd upon induction kits for a uk... So what to coose?

Hi, guys, how are u uk boys enjoying the snow in the scoobs?
Ok ive been reading up alot how aftermarket induction kits are bad for maf snsors and can generally produce lower figures power wise than the standard airbox. The car in question is my my00 uk turbo.

Its currently running td05, walbro pump, cat back system, sti top mount and a cosworth style air filter mapped to boost 20 psi.. Im planning to take the car off the road and takethe lump out for some restoration and paint. Before i reinstall it im going for a 3 inch straight thru ststem with widemouth d.pipe, heders,3 port boost controler and a big intercooler then a map tweak to get to 1.5 Bar. I have read that aftermarket induction kits are a nono especially k and ns. Ive found a pipercross full kit which goes on about reducing turbulance etc, is it worth a punt or just stick with the cossy panel filter? As im thinking with the headers, full 3inch exhaust and a bit more boost it may need even better breathing on the induction end... Any help would be great thanks.
Old 21 January 2013, 12:40 PM
keljon
Scooby Regular

I have an Apexi filter (not oiled) for sale and also a FMIC kit which would suit your classic
Old 21 January 2013, 12:42 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Stick with the standard airbox. With a decent filter it'll easily be up to the job. I use a Cosworth filter in mine without any problems. Just make sure the car is mapped to run correctly with all the mods.

As for the bigger intercooler unless you're going for big power ie more than 400bhp, the STi top mount is good enough.

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 21 January 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 21 January 2013, 12:49 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Nice one rescure dude! I have seen larger topmounts and was going to go for one of these as i didnt want the bother of re plumming, cutting bumper etc to fit a front mount, if the cooler ive got will be good enoughh to support my 1.5 bar and about. 300 hp i am happy and it is still left looking stock (ish) then thanks
Old 21 January 2013, 01:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

only other option is wing mounted, if you go front mount then you have to repalce the standard airbox anyway.
Old 21 January 2013, 01:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aaron_ions
Hi, guys, how are u uk boys enjoying the snow in the scoobs?
Ok ive been reading up alot how aftermarket induction kits are bad for maf snsors and can generally produce lower figures power wise than the standard airbox. The car in question is my my00 uk turbo.

Its currently running td05, walbro pump, cat back system, sti top mount and a cosworth style air filter mapped to boost 20 psi.. Im planning to take the car off the road and takethe lump out for some restoration and paint. Before i reinstall it im going for a 3 inch straight thru ststem with widemouth d.pipe, heders,3 port boost controler and a big intercooler then a map tweak to get to 1.5 Bar. I have read that aftermarket induction kits are a nono especially k and ns. Ive found a pipercross full kit which goes on about reducing turbulance etc, is it worth a punt or just stick with the cossy panel filter? As im thinking with the headers, full 3inch exhaust and a bit more boost it may need even better breathing on the induction end... Any help would be great thanks.
K&N are generally well respected and if holding the correct amount of oil, should be of no problem.
When you say "big intercooler" do you mean a front mount? If so, you'll need to use some form of induction kit anyway.

JohnD
Old 21 January 2013, 01:50 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

No i am currently using a v6 sti topmount but i have found large top mounts avaliable which have really big core sizes too! They just need slight mods to the mounts and the y pipe extending to fit.
Old 21 January 2013, 02:08 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Nice one rescure dude! I have seen larger topmounts and was going to go for one of these as i didnt want the bother of re plumming, cutting bumper etc to fit a front mount, if the cooler ive got will be good enoughh to support my 1.5 bar and about. 300 hp i am happy and it is still left looking stock (ish) then thanks
I'm running 1.5 bar on a new age STi top mount. Works absolutely fine.

Old 21 January 2013, 02:10 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

No i am currently using a v6 sti topmount but i have found large top mounts avaliable which have really big core sizes too! They just need slight mods to the mounts and the y pipe extending to fit.
My top mount will be bigger. If you're only around 300 your top mount should be fine I'd have thought.
Old 21 January 2013, 02:38 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

So the pic featured top mount there is a v7/8 top mount then, maybe ill source one of these. Ill be perfectly happy with 1.5 bar as its close to it now at 20 psi and have no current probs but just want to get everything i can squeeze out of her but still be on the safe side. My v6 top mount on mine does look alot smaller then that.
Old 21 January 2013, 06:12 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran 1.65bar on the standard STi top mount. It should run whatever you (sensibly) want it to!

JohnD