Notices

Good place to change cambelt in the South.

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2013, 09:09 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good place to change cambelt in the South.

Hello,
This is my first scooby (bug eye wrx), and its done 85k miles, the service does say cambelt on 65k but on the stamp its a mobile mechanic... so im quite sure its fake, so for peace of mind idd like to change the cambelt..
Whats the best place to do it??? Im arround Southampton area
What is the approx price? Is it etter to buy the belt myself or leave it all for them?

Any tips on how I might check it myself ?? ( in a lexus is200 I could see it was tired just by taking the cover off, never played with a boxer engine tho)

Thank you!!
Old 21 January 2013, 09:30 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If you want to inspect the belt you can take the covers off each end of the belt and have a look, you will have to turn the engine by hand on a socket with a bar or you could give the key a quick flick, but the first way is better IMO. I believe you have to drop the center pulley off to take the covers completely off.

What makes you think the stamp is fake? There are some pretty decent mobile mechanics about out there, is there any details on who done it so you could possibly enquire about it? Still a good choice to have it done again tho for piece of mind, and that way you know where you are with the car, may as well give it a good service whilst your there
Old 21 January 2013, 10:15 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate!!
Im a technician myself (contact lenses tho )) so ill do the spark plugs myself (which ones are best??)
Bought 10w50 race titan oil ( read its the best) and k&n oil filter
Planning to go for a sport air filter - which one is recommended?? (Hks mushroom?)
Gb and diff oils still need to buy )
Alternator belt ordered-going to do myself... and aircon belt looks new...
Old 21 January 2013, 12:39 PM
Nic k
Scooby Regular

I take my car to Simon at Cadnam Garage services just outside Southampton, hes done all the work on my car and wont take it anywhere else again. His knowledge of imprezas is amayzing and you have to go see what he's done to his car! Roger Clarke build running close to 700hp;-)
Old 21 January 2013, 08:41 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Plugs you can run either ngk pfr6b on a standard engine or go to a cooler pfr7b for a modified set up, i run 7's in mine and gap them to .65 / .7

Filters I would say keep to your standard air box with a decent panel filter like K&N or cosworth, don't really need to go for a after market filter, the standard setup is good for 400hp, just add in a cold air feed if you want it to breath easier but if you do go aftermarket route then again K&N would be a decent filter, people recommend a map tweak for this to take full advantage so unless your going to add in some other goodies to get it mapped all at once, stick to your standard air box

Oils millers is recommended, do a search on here using the search box, it will throw loads of results up its a widely debated subject, not so much with gear oils but people still run all different brands, like I say millers you won't go far wrong but that's down to personal choice
Old 21 January 2013, 10:51 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nic k
I take my car to Simon at Cadnam Garage services just outside Southampton, hes done all the work on my car and wont take it anywhere else again. His knowledge of imprezas is amayzing and you have to go see what he's done to his car! Roger Clarke build running close to 700hp;-)
585bhp

Does go nicely