Notices

Which jap car to get 7k ish...(drivers car)

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2012, 11:10 PM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which jap car to get 7k ish...(drivers car)

Hello,

So heres the thing. I drive a jdm honda integra type r which I really love.....But since I started a job I had the idea to get a different car. Always been jap car daft...really fancy an evo 5 or 6 rs........Then started looking at siubaru recently (last few weeks) as I save and research each car...Im struggling because the mpg is a big issue. I drive 4 hours to matlock every week or so and in the dc2 it costs about £45 each way....guessing 30mpg ish. An evo or subaru at 21mpg would be £50+ each way, I dont drink or smoke but that would add up

Is it at all possible to have some sort of ecu mode for motorway driving..ie off boost or something...Just have it as a standard 2.0 car....? Or am I talking tripe

I want a real drivers car, especially coming from the integra. It feels pin sharp and light as a feather....Any suggestions. I looked at r32 skylines just for the hell of it and they are terrible on fuel.

I test drove a wrx bug eyed wagon before I got the integra. Only subarus Ive ever driven. It felt top heavy and wooly at best.

Mentioning evos on a subaru forum is maybe like bringing a knife to a gunfight perhaps..Im just kinda lost at sea with what I can get so..need some direction. Note, evos are getting very hard to find...theres a lot of **** boxes out there...probably a similar deal with subarus too....Morons bolting bits on and ragging them around. I want a mint standard car.

Things I have looked at are the blob eye ppp sti /wide track dccd one too Not test drove or looked at anything in the flesh.

I have been rather alarmed at the amount of cars for sale that say (engine rebuilt) :0 thats one thing that would put me off.

Does turbo power basically equate to huge petrol costs?

I like to have something a little different from something you see everyday on the roads.

Last edited by jdm4life; 30 November 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 29 November 2012, 11:18 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

i would say on a budget you have, if you dont mind older cars, think about a classic Type R they are great cars, you can also pick up a newage sti from 4k so there is plenty of choice the best newage is 1's fitted with the 2.0l engine as there are problems with the 2.5 sti lump, i cant comment as i have never known anybody i know with one to have it fail,

as for fuel use age i have a 05 sti ppp and i average 19mpg a week over 80 miles, i drive it like mr magooo as my dad says ha! i know my mate used to have a civic type R and he used to be bouncing of the limiter every time he drove it and used to average 23 he told me, so they are more thirsty but you come to expect that

Dan
Old 29 November 2012, 11:44 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Newage STI from 4k
Old 29 November 2012, 11:56 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

ive seen a few bugs go for 4K
Old 30 November 2012, 12:20 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-
ive seen a few bugs go for 4K
Ahhh, that explains it
Old 30 November 2012, 12:34 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

stronger engine's the bug sti, good for 4-450 wish i kept my last one lol
Old 30 November 2012, 08:20 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

I have just finished my WRX project (is it ever finished?)

A budget build by most standards here, but ended up with 349/351 mapped by Andy Forrest, point is I do 50mls a day and get 23mpg, mixed driving, hasnt really changed from stock mpg. Although with more power I dont rev it as much so maybe that compensates a bit.
I get about 25mpg on 'low' thats 280/295 BHP/lbf

hope that helps.
Old 30 November 2012, 02:58 PM
beefoss
Scooby Regular

For a little over your budget you could get a Spec D. Its a sleeper STi and cheaper on insurance than an STi.
Old 30 November 2012, 07:26 PM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

The wrx sti seems like the performance car bargain on the decade really. There seems to be a lot more of them around..many in great condition.....The thing that puts me off them...or subarus in general is the handling....The understeer :0

Old 30 November 2012, 08:19 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

never saw that episode! does make the scooby look awful!! but ive seen on 5th gear you have to take a different approach into the corner and once you get that right it looks fine, plus you get dccd which im sure on track will make a huge difference to the understeer!
Old 30 November 2012, 08:19 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Its so exagerated in thast video. for £7k, you can get tidy, low mileage blob sti. I personally would look away from the PPP as I hear its a fuel heavy map which may not suit. Save the cash and tune it your way. Expect sub 20mpg, although "economy" maps are done.
Old 30 November 2012, 08:47 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt say its anyworse than you would come to expect, on a long run its the most economical car ive ever owned! alot of people dont belive this but on a 157 mile round trip on motorway i managed it to £21!!!! i was gob smacked, obviously thats keeping at about 60mph the whole way in 6th gear
Old 30 November 2012, 09:12 PM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

Ive searched and read a LOT of reviews on this wrx sti and.........they all mention the understeer as a negative point. Also a lot of forums mention the 'understeer problem'

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/general/...r-problem.html

Im suprised to hear about this because youd think subaru would have their act together and make a car that handles better considering they were in the wrc for years.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evol...x_sti_ppp.html

"But a few doubts remain over the UK-spec STi's ability to entertain to the same degree as one of the old-school Imprezas like the P1 or the RB5 Prodrive. Barker never warmed to its spiky power delivery, its sticky gearbox or its reluctance to commit to corners without that ever-present understeer, and others shared his misgivings."

I have drove the blob eye on a track and the gearbox shifts didnt feel great...

I heard that anti lift kits/uprated arb can help it???

Last edited by jdm4life; 30 November 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 30 November 2012, 09:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had 360 miles on a trip to London and back in a wrx running 340hp, average speed 80, depends how you drive with the throtle pedal, use it calmly and it makes a diffrence
Old 30 November 2012, 09:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jdm4life
Ive searched and read a LOT of reviews on this wrx sti and.........they all mention the understeer as a negative point.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evol...x_sti_ppp.html

"But a few doubts remain over the UK-spec STi's ability to entertain to the same degree as one of the old-school Imprezas like the P1 or the RB5 Prodrive. Barker never warmed to its spiky power delivery, its sticky gearbox or its reluctance to commit to corners without that ever-present understeer, and others shared his misgivings."

I have drove the blob eye on a track and the gearbox shifts didnt feel great...
Rear arb easily solved and maybe drop links to match
Old 30 November 2012, 09:27 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Rear arb easily solved and maybe drop links to match
is that all it is, so fit a 23mm rear arb it will turn in sharp? i cant notice any roll in mine though, seems very flat on corners, does it not mess with the dccd if you know?
Old 30 November 2012, 09:33 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

is that all it is, so fit a 23mm rear arb it will turn in sharp? i cant notice any roll in mine though, seems very flat on corners, does it not mess with the dccd if you know?
Not sure about dccd but subarus are common for under steer as to why rear arb are fitted to eliminate it, if you get adjustable 24mm for instance and set it to hard and leave front stock as its a bit soft anyway then you may get a bit of oversteer.
Set on medium for good results and leave front stock or get 22 for front and 24 for rear but most people just change rear.
I'd also upgrade drop links front and rear too for better response, nothing to do with roll

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 30 November 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 30 November 2012, 09:53 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

awsome thank you
Old 30 November 2012, 10:13 PM
beastturbo
Scooby Regular

Or get a decent geometry set up and adjust the camber to allow more oversteer
Old 30 November 2012, 11:11 PM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

Is it the last of the blobeye sti's that have dccd???

Id probably look for a standard wrx sti 03/04 if I could afford one..Just wasnt sure about the centre diff and what models have it.

Last edited by jdm4life; 30 November 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 30 November 2012, 11:42 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Wr1, 54 reg onwards STi, jdm from 2003, type r classic

I would say its handy to have as a gadget but until track I'm unsure how effive it I
Old 01 December 2012, 11:57 PM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

OK, I think I have decided on which model Id be looking at...The 2005 wrx sti type uk. Since ratching around on here etc, Ive seen a couple for around 7-7500 ish with great spec and low miles so that looks like the one.

Ive figured I dont drink or smoke so I guess my cash will go on burning juice......

I dont like the colour blue...or blue cars....and they dont make them in red :/....

But I think a blue one with anthracite 18" speedline turini's would be rather cool.

Last edited by jdm4life; 01 December 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05 December 2012, 12:26 AM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

Is the dccd worth having? Is there a huge improvement from the non dccd 03 cars to the 04/05 dccd equipped, wide track versions?

They seem a little harder to come by than the standard wrx sti.

The rear arches do look a bit naff with that wider lip/arch affair but a small price to pay if its a better car.

Can anybody clear up why so many adverts for these cars seem to include the words engine and rebuild :s ? That is a worry....Are the engines weak?

Last edited by jdm4life; 05 December 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05 December 2012, 10:28 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

after my 1st drive with the car in the snow, i can tell you yes its worth having!

leaving for work this morning fresh snow, had the diff in auto and although its 4wd you think you can drive on any surface, with RE070 tyres on the car, there were not biting at all, set the dccd to lock and instantly pulled me, abit of spin but was much better to drive on, once i had arrived at work, i set the dccd to open and omg that was like trying to drive with the car tied up didnt move anywhere!
Old 05 December 2012, 10:32 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Is the dccd worth having? Is there a huge improvement from the non dccd 03 cars to the 04/05 dccd equipped, wide track versions?

They seem a little harder to come by than the standard wrx sti.

The rear arches do look a bit naff with that wider lip/arch affair but a small price to pay if its a better car.

Can anybody clear up why so many adverts for these cars seem to include the words engine and rebuild :s ? That is a worry....Are the engines weak?
They are slighty harder to find due to only being made for just under 1 year before going to the hawkeye and the 2.5 engine

didnt see the engine bit, ive only ever noticed the words engine rebuilds on the P1 and the classic sti's, never when looking for a newage, far as I'm aware its the strongest of the engines, other than the jdm lump!
Old 06 December 2012, 12:13 AM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

They are slighty harder to find due to only being made for just under 1 year before going to the hawkeye and the 2.5 engine

didnt see the engine bit, ive only ever noticed the words engine rebuilds on the P1 and the classic sti's, never when looking for a newage, far as I'm aware its the strongest of the engines, other than the jdm lump!
Cheers, I guess I will keep an eye out and.....keep saving. Not sure what the average price is for a mint car with less than 50k on. I want a faily standard car really so I can get a few mods done myself......

Been watching things like this.....

I was surprised to hear about the effort that went into balance of the chassis etc (20 mins in)

Also how the 1st edition ate the r32 for breakfast :0

Is the wrx sti type uk roughly equal to the jap spec c?

Last edited by jdm4life; 06 December 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06 December 2012, 12:27 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

ive watched that video a fair few times, good watch i loved the bit when the skyline got destroyed :P

its very close on the surface, you get a roof flap, bbs alloys, sweeping speedo clock, xenon headlight blob eye, rear wiper, and folding mirrors, im not 100% sure if they use the same chassis but im sure they do, maby with a different suspension setup
Old 06 December 2012, 12:29 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

oh and looking at that vid again the weight! my uk weights 1870kg that weight 1361kg!
Old 06 December 2012, 01:12 AM
jdm4life
Scooby Newbie

oh and looking at that vid again the weight! my uk weights 1870kg that weight 1361kg!

1870kgs!!!!!! Jesus christ...Is that with 4 ppl on board?

A GTR weighs 1,740 and thats a beast.

My cars 1060kgs.

Last edited by jdm4life; 06 December 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06 December 2012, 11:10 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

I like to have something a little different from something you see everyday on the roads.

Celica GT4 WRC.

Last edited by skyinsurance; 06 December 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Which jap car to get 7k ish...(drivers car)