Notices

Question on Buying Scooby.

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 06:32 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Buying Scooby.

Was looking at an 03 wrx for sale and was going to trade in my st205 gt4 towards it.

the thing is. the subaru needs its front brakes done. How much do you think this will cost me? and if its worth buying a scooby that needs that done.

also has a broken clip on the air filter but am guessing that's minor.

its such a long drive to where it is getting sold so cant exactly rock up and go over the motor.
Old 28 November 2012, 10:15 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Can you do the pads and discs yourself? A lot cheaper if you can, also depends what quaility of discs and pads you want mate.
Old 29 November 2012, 12:17 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, I wouldn't trade in your GT4 for a WRX.
STI yes, WRX nooooo!

Have you test driven any scoobs yet? I think you'll find the WRX disappointing.
Old 29 November 2012, 12:28 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

not much difference i would think between an sti and a wrx once you start pulling parts out and moding it.

Last edited by Camsedin; 29 November 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 01:41 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Camsedin
not much difference i would think between an sti and a wrx once you start pulling parts out and moding it.
No offence intended here but that statement speaks volumes about your actual knowledge of these cars.

STI's and WRX's are very different cars, from engine to suspension, bodywork, interior, track, gearbox, the list goes on.
Save yourself the money and just buy an STI to start with.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 November 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 01:45 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If you rip it apart and build it no it won't be that much difference

BAR THE PRICE

Sti is a much better car, make no mistakes about it, the little extra it will cost to buy one will probably cost you the extra of what a 6 speed box conversion will cost you for a wrx, Let alone the breaks, intercooler, interior is far better, just an all round better car, honestly mate if ur planning on modding do the right thing and buy an Sti
Old 29 November 2012, 02:02 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
No offence intended here but that statement speaks volumes about your actual knowledge of these cars.

STI's and WRX's are very different cars, from engine to suspension, bodywork, interior, track, gearbox, the list goes on.
Save yourself the money and just buy an STI to start with.
IF i was keeping it standard then i would go for an sti as the extra cost would justified.
but what's the point in buying an sti for a large difference in price just to rip out most of what makes it a better car?

id rather rip out cheaper parts than more expensive parts just to replace them with uprated stuff.
at least with replacing parts over time you dont need to worry about a large outlay of cash in one go.

not to mention the wrx i may go for now am getting for very cheap as its a family members. (not the one mentioned above)

Last edited by Camsedin; 29 November 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 03:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

IF i was keeping it standard then i would go for an sti as the extra cost would justified.
but what's the point in buying an sti for a large difference in price just to rip out most of what makes it a better car?

id rather rip out cheaper parts than more expensive parts just to replace them with uprated stuff.
at least with replacing parts over time you dont need to worry about a large outlay of cash in one go.

not to mention the wrx i may go for now am getting for very cheap as its a family members. (not the one mentioned above)
As Infected By STI Says - "bar the price"
Can I ask what you think you're going to rip out and uprate? Because vs an STI I'm assuming this means you're proposing to change at least the:
- Suspension (STI has inverted struts)
- Engine (STI has bigger intercooler, AVCS, no TGV valves, stronger internals, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, intercooler water spray (gimmicky sure), better heads, just to name a few).
- Gearbox (STI has 6 speed capable of taking torque over 400ft/lbs. WRX gearboxes tend to **** themselves at 350ft/lbs and often less. Later STI's also have DCCD adjustable split).
- Body Parts (e.g. scoop, skirts, spoiler, fog covers)

If you go for a built engine with AVCS or a 6 speed box you'll either need a decent map or aftermarket ECU to cope, possibly with some additional wiring too. All of a sudden it doesn't look so cheap.

When I bought my old WRX I modded it, until I reached 350bhp.
I then realised it would cost me probably best part of £2.5k to find a 6 speed, get it fitted and then have it mapped.
I also realised that if I took the engine much further on standard internals it would likely **** itself all over the road whereas the stronger newage STI blocks can take 400bhp all day long. Yes I could have pulled the engine out and put a built one in - for another £2-2.5k...

And that was why I sold my WRX and bought an STI, wishing I'd done that in the first place. I hated selling that car, but the cost would have been stupid.
An STI might cost you £1000-1500 more but you gets what you pays for. Check out my garage and see what I've done with mine.
To achieve the same with my old WRX would have been a whole load more cash I didn't have to spend. It's simple maths.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 November 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:48 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

350 is all i will be going for its a daily driver.
and considering wrx for 2 grand or pay 5 to 6 grand for a around the same mileage sti its a large difference in cost.

sure upgrading the wrx may cost more to be better than a standard sti. but that price can be spread out over time.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:54 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Old 29 November 2012, 05:26 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
2 grand for wrx
5 grand at cheapest for an sti
that's 3 grand extra... that's a fair amount of cash to put down and cash i probably don't have.

but upgrading the wrx can be spread out over the ownership of the motor and since am only aiming for 350 at the most i cant see why it would require the sti...
am surprised people are so against modding the wrx.

Last edited by Camsedin; 29 November 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 05:34 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

2 grand for wrx
5 grand at cheapest for an sti
that's 3 grand extra... that's a fair amount of cash to put down and cash i probably don't have.

but upgrading the wrx can be spread out over the ownership of the motor and since am only aiming for 350 at the most i cant see why it would require the sti...
am surprised people are so against modding the wrx.
i have a wrx 04 plate with loads of mods and i love it,its only 270bhp at the min but will be mid 300's in the new year

new front discs and pads are not expensive mate,get in touch with aztec performance on here who currently have brake offers on or buy a second hand set of sti brembos for around £400-£500
Old 29 November 2012, 05:49 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If that's all your aiming for fella then that's fair comment and yes 3k is a big difference especially given the time of year, you seem to know what you want and nobody is against modding the wrx we just see that your going to "pull parts out and replace them" so we just try to give some guidance as to the cost of things as many have done the "keeping it standard" but soon get the itch for more power etc and I would say most of them would tell you to start with an Sti for sure!

On another note 2k for an 03wrx is cheap money, make sure the car is sound before you part with your cash because you can soon fall in to the trap of thinking "BAGAIN!!" But in reality it's gonna cost a fortune

Best of luck to you
Old 29 November 2012, 06:23 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
If that's all your aiming for fella then that's fair comment and yes 3k is a big difference especially given the time of year, you seem to know what you want and nobody is against modding the wrx we just see that your going to "pull parts out and replace them" so we just try to give some guidance as to the cost of things as many have done the "keeping it standard" but soon get the itch for more power etc and I would say most of them would tell you to start with an Sti for sure!

On another note 2k for an 03wrx is cheap money, make sure the car is sound before you part with your cash because you can soon fall in to the trap of thinking "BAGAIN!!" But in reality it's gonna cost a fortune

Best of luck to you
Yeah 350 and ill be perfectly happy with that

yeah its a decent wrx its family owned (my oldmans) i drive it a lot already and know its history, seems a bit sluggish compared to my gt4 but i like the drive. and he never scrimps when looking after it. this is only reason am getting it for very cheap.

i find out on Saturday if the deal is 100%, if not then i will probably look at the sti vs wrx points again as it will no doubt cost me a decent bit more than 2k for a good wrx so it would be closer to the cost of an sti
Old 29 November 2012, 07:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above guys said and recommend STi will be better choice from more just few points better choice

If you are looking to modify your car,I would choose STi,but if you want to leave car like is I still would choose STi just due better internals,6 speed,Brembo etc

Jura