Notices

Buying STi Type-R Vers. VI ... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 03:16 PM
Scoobyfan
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am looking at a year 2000 STi Type-R Vers.VI 2-door model..... anything to look out for? It's a completely stock model with about 22,000km on it.

Any obvious places to look for crash damage?

Any problems associated with this model?

I am from Hong Kong...... looking at paying about GBP 900 for just a year's LIABILITY insurance for this model! Grrrrr!
Old 13 May 2002, 05:43 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Er yeahhh

The Type R's tend to have gearbox problems. They especially like to jump out of 5th Gear - so give it a drive and check out the gearbox.

The ratios are such that 1st gear is redundant.

Nothing else I can think of, personal choice on the 2 door. The 4 door is said to handle much better and the 4 door gearboxes are more reliable - to do with the ratios

Of course in HK you'll be stuck in Traffic most of the time anyway so you'll only get to cruise around!!

Nothing obvious on crash damage. For clocked mileage I'd check the drivers door sill - it tends to get kicked all the time - so if its got a few marks then its probably done more miles than it states! - they are so, so easy to clock - either by Computer - 5 minute job, or by disconnection of a certain device near the Lamda sensor - so watch out!
Old 13 May 2002, 05:55 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Feed it the right petrol too... as some sti owners have had bottom end problems... it might be related to something else though not just petrol..??

Dan
Old 15 May 2002, 04:31 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyfan,

You do have to be careful of the stick jumping out of 5th but you also have to look for the cosmetics to see any obvious abuse.

I looked at a lot of Scoobs and Skylines in HK before getting my '99 STi5 and most Scoobs had stone chips all over the front, some were quite bad but they were usually the white ones. A few were still quite low milers so you have to think what they were up to. I've had my car since October and hardly have any marks, maybe one or two. Totally the my early MY99 has 22,000kms.

If the car has a lot of stone chips then you might like to feel the clutch and brakes. I know its an odd link but it points to driving style. To be honest i haven't seen any crazy Scoob drivers here only crazy Civic and Benz drivers.

Alternatively if there are absolutely no chips it could point to the front being re-sprayed. As i say i have a couple but i still tend to leave a reasonable space between me and the car in front - ample space for a Konker to wedge in where the traffic merges.

Also you have to look for the usual car park damage, i have a small dent on the passenger front wing done in the car park. I also have a couple of scratches on the bumper. People here don't care too much about that here.

The choice between 2dr and 4dr is a personal one. There is a 2dr STi5 the same colour (a Metallic Thundercloud Grey) as mine in the New World Car Mart TST and i still prefer my 4dr - much more useful and easier to get in and out of when parked in the smaller spaces of HK.

Incidentally mine is for sale at HK$168,000 (GBP14,900) complete with Ultra Turbo Timer and Digital Speedo. The TST one is for sale at HK$178,000 but you can easily haggle.

I have 40% no claims bonus, am 30 and have fully comprehensive insurance with HSBC at HK$8,100 (GBP715). If you buy a Scoob it is advisable to get the most cover you can afford even if the car theft rate here is quite low. There are not too many Scoobs here compared to other types so if it gets nicked it is relatively easy to find but you cannot guarantee what condition you'll get it back in.

If you need help or want a chat, e-mail me.

brian
Old 15 May 2002, 07:28 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Scoobyfan,

Might be able to help you out with the insurance...give us an email, I am in Hong Kong by the way.

Regarding the low theft rates here in Hong Kong, I kinda disagree...it depends where you 'hang out'. My friend who lives in the new territories with the car parked outside his how had his 94 WRX knicked. He only had third party too!!! If you drive a ITR or Civic Type R and hang out in Mong Kok, TST I know proffessional care thieves will follow you around to see where you park it, then steal it once you have left the car park.

Civic SIRs, Type Rs, WRX (especially the STI), Evo's are stolen every day. No offence Brian...you're an expat so I guess you don't read the local newspapers, the SCMP doesn't report minor things such as stolen cars etc. but there are plenty every day believe me! The prices of the above cars have dropped so low because so many are stolen, the insurance companies don't even quote if you are aged below 25/new driver or had any previous claims!

Oh by the way...if you are buying from places such as TST, Kai Tak etc. be careful because I have heard of cases where they know your address from the details you give them, they make a spare key and then steal the car from you less than a week after you bought it. My mate works for the Subaru Hong Kong, i'd go there to look if I was you...their used cars are much more reliable.
Old 15 May 2002, 08:29 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

bb,

I was talking in relative terms. You'll find UK based people on here that have been, or now of somebody that has been, held up at gun or knife point for the keys to their Scoob, Evo etc.

There was a thread i read on here somewhere telling of somebody being attacked in their bed just for the car keys to the Scoob parked outside. I think even the SCMP would report this if it happened here. I had the stereo in my old Porsche knicked here during the last T10 and i'm out in Sai Kung working in Shatin so i'm still out of the Mong Kok hot-spot. I'd still say the crime rate here is low in comparison but definately good insurance is a must.

Cars in all countries get knicked but you should still get the one you want. If it is at high risk get full coverage.

It doesn't matter where you buy the car from (even Subaru) the key can still be copied. If it is second-hand of any description you run the risk that the previous owner has a key and would use it or sell it.

Scoobyfan, buy it if you like it but get full insurance coverage and enjoy - same as we all do. Just look for obvious damage and see how it drives. I'd agree with the point above about getting it on Nova or Shell Powerblue or whatever they call it. I always run the STi on SUL but this is difficult to check with a second-hand car so try to find one with low milage to avoid possible damage.

brian
Old 15 May 2002, 02:47 PM
Scoobyfan
BANNED

Brian> Thank you for your informative posts. I am looking at a Type-R STi VI from the Tsuen Wan dealer, who is appointed by Subaru Hong Kong. It's a MY2000 model with 22,000km, which is about right.

I have been calling around for insurance, but the mention of "WRX" would elicit an immediate hang up from the agent on the line. Guess no-one wants to do biz with WRX owners anymore....

WRX's, Evolutions, Type-R, and GTR's are nicked daily, and as bb says, people may follow you around and steal your car the moment you leave it parked somewhere. So it is also dangerous to own one in Hong Kong.

bb> do you work in the insurance industry? I would love to be able to get a decent quote. I am 29 yrs old with 10 yrs experience. Still have no luck getting a quotation. I do have a 20% NCB discount from the agent I am using.

The MY2000 STi VI Type-R is being listed at the Tsuen Wan shop for $195,000. Any comments?

Old 16 May 2002, 02:13 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Scoobyfan,

No, I'm not presonally in the insurance industry, but my relatives own an insurance broking firm, so I might be able to give you a decent quote. I must admit, the previous quote you got doesn't seem too bad. I'm gonna need a bit more info for you and I should be able to give you a quote by today. Please email me, to give me further details such as your job, any previous convictions, etc. You don't seem to have your email in your profile so i can't email u direct. my email is mhctsoi@pacific.net.hk.

BTW, HK195,000 seems on the high side personally. Because it has been so hard to get insurance for these type of cars, dealers had had real problems offloading these cars. Its almost getting to the stage where u can name them a price and they'd be glad to get rid of it. If you email me, tell me the specs of the car you saw at Subaru and who you talked to, I will get my mate at Subaru (Kwai Chung) to see if he can get you a better deal on it. If it is the Subaru in Tsuen Wan near the Panda hotel..I think that they are not the official dealers as I wasn't aware they had that many showroom...if u go on their website I don't think they list one in Tsuen Wan.
Old 16 May 2002, 02:44 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Price seems a high but i suppose this is normal from a main dealer. Mine was initially bought from Motor Image Kowloon Side and has always been serviced there so they seem okay.

Due to the insurance rates going up, the prices for these cars have dropped and while $195,000 may have been reasonable for a car of that milage and age last year now it appears high. Going back to the car mart places that bb seems to dislike a little, there is a White MY2000 RA 4dr with 17,000kms in Kai Tak for HK$148,000 that is probably negotiable. This is the prices some cars are going for and while i agree that you pay extra for security of mind it shouldn't be 25%. Milage on this one is more normal as well. As i said before white is probably the most difficult colour to keep looking nice given the thin paint on Scoobs. Making it worse, the primer i saw on some was black so you can imagine what that looked like.

For insurance try calling the company i use (M.G. Geraghty) and talk to Andy Brooks who seems to work miracles given a few days or a week. He moans when you mention these types of cars but he's done my WRX and Porsche 944 and when i started with those i was only 27 with 2 years NCB in HK. His number is 2877 8006. Feel free to remind him of the job he did for me. My WRX was insured in Oct.99. I suppose, as normal, a lot depends on where in HK you live and this will make a difference more than your 10 years exp.

Hope it helps.
Old 16 May 2002, 05:35 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Brian/Scoobyfan,

I wouldn't really say I dislike places such as Kai Tak etc. I have actually bought two cars from Kowloon Bay including the Legacy that I drive now and haven't had any problem! I was just pointing out what I had heard or friends had experienced. I heard that Kai Tak was the more 'dodgy' of the lot, but then I haven't had any experience myself there. Am I correct that most of the cars at Kai Tak are actually imports and the one Scoobyfan saw at Subaru should be an 'official' car so might attract a premium over the imports? Anyway, with the short/crap one year warranty we get here with Subaru HK, I don't suppose it makes much difference. I agree with Brian that there is now a lot of room for haggling but beware, I know a lot of the RA's here came without A/C or power windows. These were then added afterwards and I have seen some pretty poor examples so I'd check those carefully. Had considered getting one of the last few RA's that came out before the new shape but being only available in white and seeing the horrible addon power windows and a/c, i decided to give it a miss. Anyway good luck and take your time, its a buyers market at the moment.
Old 16 May 2002, 06:41 AM
Scoobyfan
BANNED

Kaitak is infamous for dodgy deals, I heard quite a few friends who got burned trying to buy WRX's there. They would ask you to put down a deposit for the car, say HK$10,000, and they promise to find you an insurance deal or give you your money back. Of course, no insurance, and then no money back...... they can't sell the cars, so they resort to these low-brow tactics to get your money by stealing your deposit.

The $195,000 price is negotiable, I think a 20%-25% discount is not out of the question due to the market situation in Hong Kong.

I am 29 yrs old, own my own trading firm, and have 10 yrs driving experience.

bb> if you can get a decent quote, please send an email to : busybee8888@hotmail.com

Many thanks!
Old 16 May 2002, 07:54 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Most of the new Kai Tak cars are Grey Imports. I had a look at a couple of MY01 turbos there just before i got the STi and they were HK$198,000 to HK$209,000 with a one year warrenty, not a great deal more than my MY99 STi. Now new ones are selling for HK$180,000 with one year warrenty from the seller.

Places like Winfield & Car City on the Island also tend to import them.

bb probably has the right impression of Kowloon Bay mall as i prefer that one too. No matter where you buy it, it should still be possible to have a look at the original sales invoices if the car is a recent one and this will tell you if it is a grey import or a HK Car. By buying from Motor Image they can gurantee where it came from because either they sold it or didn't. They are the only official agent in HK and have a showroom on Kowloon and another on the Island. I have the original sales invoice from Motor Image plus those of the Timer / Speedo and the services, for example, and for the sake of History this is almost vital.

Whether or not it is a Grey Import or not is less important here as it is in the UK because we have more choices about where to service it and buy bits. With the main dealer only offering a one-year warranty anyway, as bb says, you can basically take your pick and pays your choice as there is little significant difference.
Old 16 May 2002, 01:55 PM
bb
Scooby Regular

Scoobyfan,

emailed u a few times but no response. Anyway....sorry, couldn't get anyone willing to insure u. Maybe u could try Brian's place. Good Luck. U haven't put down a deposit yet i hope? Anyway, the dealers know how hard it is to insure so if u do manage to get covered, maybe more leverage to get that price down by at least 40K!!

Maybe u could look to buying the B4, I know they are easier to insure, but not as fast of course. I think they are more than adequate for HK!! Or get a new shape WRX, I know they are giving free one years insurance, but then come next year......

Actually a brand new WRX for only just over 200K is a very good deal, pity about the looks.
Old 16 May 2002, 02:26 PM
Scoobyfan
BANNED

Hello bb,

Thanks for your email. I already replied to you!

I am driving an E36 328i coupe right now. I won't consider B4 as it is not really that good, definitely not worth swapping for my Bimmer!

I am just looking for a quotation for liability coverage. I know it is IMPOSSIBLE to find comprehensive insurance for it, and even if available, will cost like HK$30,000 or more. So I will just HOPE the thieves don't target me....
Old 17 May 2002, 02:27 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That's a very big hope for a car that costs $160,000 and will rip the pants off most cars.

A great deal depands on where you live and work but if you haven't called Andy or his colleagues yet then give them a try because like i say my fully comprehensive cover is less than $9,000. I still have 5 months before the renewal but i hope to sell the car by then, before i leave for Malaysia.

I'd be interested to know if Andy can't help.
Old 17 May 2002, 06:24 AM
Scoobyfan
BANNED

Brian> so you are going to Malaysia? To KL, right? you won't be driving any fancy cars there anymore...... so damn expensive to buy even a locally made POS!
Old 17 May 2002, 06:42 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Don't i know it.

Not quite to KL but to Klang about an hour or hour and a half west buy car.

Looked briefly about taking the Scoob but i would have to pay 170% import duty on the current market value PLUS 10% Sales Tax so for a car worth ~US$20,000 I need to pay US$36,000 TAX - un-***** believeable.

Cars over 5 years seem to be sensible prices so depreciation seems to be the highest in the world. I think i'll start with something really cheap and see how the new job goes.
Old 18 May 2002, 12:13 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

Scoobyfan, I would just like to add that I have a Type R and know several other owners as well as 4 door STi owners. And any comparison between the two is always weighted in the Type R's favour.
As for claiming that 1st gear is redundant and that the gearbox is weak...well simply bollocks!!!
They handle like a dream and leave other STi's behind....

Its a great car, if it looks good, it probably is......

I know a couple of guys running over 400hp through the standard running gear in Type R's and they havent had anything let go or break. Thats good enough for me....