No noise from the speakers at all.....

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 03:12 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hope this isnt considered to be in the wrong forum :|

Simple problem, hopefully simple answer - the stereo in my MY96 (clarion single CD) works for a few minutes then there is a short burst of static, less than half a sec, and all the speakers go off. I have had the thing out and waggled the block connector, but to no avail. The CD keeps playing, and it makes no difference if its the radio or the CD, it still goes silent. Sometimes it "just comes back on" for a bit...
I took the unit out and took it to be checked and it was OK on the bench,and the bloke said I must have a short in my speakers.
So question is - how do I find out? How on earth do i test the speakers without becoming a qualified sparky and buying all sorts of tester devices and a tri-corder... ? Can I do it without pulling the car to bits or paying out huge sums to have it done by someone else ?

I need to check the speakers properly to find itf its an intermittent fault with my CD, so I at least know what to replace. Hope you lot of boffins can help me out. Cheers

Buzz
Old 13 May 2002, 04:51 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Hullo

Sounds more like an IC failure, rather than an earth-problem. If you didn't get sound from the word go, I'd say it was more likely to be a wiring problem, but yours sounds much more terminal.

Best bet would be to get hold of another head unit and connect it up ('coz it's only two ISO connectors) and see if that works.

Good luck
Old 13 May 2002, 09:02 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

If you know what the speaker wires are in the loom, connect a battery (AA for example), one to +ve and one to -ve. The speaker will crackle, this confirms wiring to speaker is okay.
Old 13 May 2002, 09:22 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I CAN actually do that, Ive got the pin diagram for the block connector from the clarion website..it LOOKS like its part of the scoob harness anyway, so Im wondrering if its just an ISO...might make life a LOT easier if it is and its the CD unit...and I think it will turn out to be just that, so here's hoping for easy replacement
Old 14 May 2002, 11:58 AM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Beg or borrow a basic digital multi meter and measure the speaker resistance at the dash socket.... should read around 4 Ohms, if not that channel has a short. Most times its the speaker terminals touching the door or shelf frame edge.
Old 14 May 2002, 02:41 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Being Mr Extravagant Ive paid £8 for a multimeter - hire terms available upon request once Ive used it, cos I'll never use it again :P

Thanks for the help chaps, when Ive found out whats broken I'll no doubt have to post again during the course of fixing it
Old 14 May 2002, 03:58 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Question

Errm, if both speakers are going at the same time, it seems unlikely that they've both conveniently shorted... unless something in the harness/cabling near it had also gone, and at that point I'm pretty sure that fuses etc. would start going.
Old 14 May 2002, 05:50 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

all FOUR are going off at exactly the same time, in a split second - so i reckon (but what do I know? nothing) that its a component breaking down in the stereo - the guy who tested it only did so for a minute or two at most, and it generally lasts longer than that....I havent experimented to see if it can "cool down" and then come back on, but if the speaker test proves OK then I'll try that next.....