Notices

Is 2006 STI 2.5 engine the same as 2009 STI engine

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2012, 02:10 PM
maxscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Is 2006 STI 2.5 engine the same as 2009 STI engine

HI, the bottom end is knocking on my 2006 sti. I know someone who may have a engine from a 2009 2.5 sti. Is there anyway i can put maybe the bottom end from 2009 to my06. Also who does rebuilds on subaru around the west midlands and prices. thank you
Old 31 August 2012, 02:22 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

The big end went on my blob a few months ago. Having looked around for a long time it seems that the most economical way of doing this is just replacing the entire engine. It baffles me how it is cheaper to do that but that is the conclusion I came to. I got mine from Scooby Spares in Fleetwood and although it wasn't cheap, it was a lot cheaper than all the alternatives and three months later I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

The worst quote I had for this (from my local Subaru dealer) was £7k just for a short engine! An engine from a breaker should be much less than this. It is frustrating that a simple worn bearing is such a big deal but sadly it is.

BTW whatever you do, don't touch reconditioned-engines.co.uk (AKA Heathrow Engine Centre) with a barge pole - they are the worst criminals in the business.
Old 31 August 2012, 02:22 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't waste your time it will happen again just get a forged rebuild.
Old 31 August 2012, 02:48 PM
maxscooby
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply mate. I could get the 2009 bottom end at a cheap price and thought maybe fitting that with forged steel con rods and pistons. Will that do me any good
Old 31 August 2012, 03:44 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

How much is cheap? It may be cheaper to put a crank, bearings, rods, pistons in your engine? I can quote you if you want, where are you, i'm not far from Chester.
The 2.5 STI engine is notorious for piston problems, the rods are pretty good and happy enough at 400bhp, (many have run more), but a set of pistons is a must at the minimum.
Andy
Old 31 August 2012, 05:57 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by wms-racing
How much is cheap? It may be cheaper to put a crank, bearings, rods, pistons in your engine? I can quote you if you want, where are you, i'm not far from Chester.
The 2.5 STI engine is notorious for piston problems, the rods are pretty good and happy enough at 400bhp, (many have run more), but a set of pistons is a must at the minimum.
Andy

Judging by your username, I guess you are in the know, but why have Subaru made so many 2.5's with chocolate pistons??!!

They must have known about it for ages, but still continued with poor materials?

My standard 07/07 WRX STi Spec D has done 25 k miles now, so I hope my bottom end doesn't go soon, or the pistons?
I put a lot of faith into the Japanese.
Old 31 August 2012, 05:59 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by lotus49
The big end went on my blob a few months ago. Having looked around for a long time it seems that the most economical way of doing this is just replacing the entire engine. It baffles me how it is cheaper to do that but that is the conclusion I came to. I got mine from Scooby Spares in Fleetwood and although it wasn't cheap, it was a lot cheaper than all the alternatives and three months later I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

The worst quote I had for this (from my local Subaru dealer) was £7k just for a short engine! An engine from a breaker should be much less than this. It is frustrating that a simple worn bearing is such a big deal but sadly it is.

BTW whatever you do, don't touch reconditioned-engines.co.uk (AKA Heathrow Engine Centre) with a barge pole - they are the worst criminals in the business.

And I'm sure the engine places around Twickenham rugby ground are still mugging people off.
Old 31 August 2012, 08:41 PM
maxscooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Andy
hi im in birmingham. what kind of price am i looking at
Old 31 August 2012, 09:12 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Judging by your username, I guess you are in the know, but why have Subaru made so many 2.5's with chocolate pistons??!!

They must have known about it for ages, but still continued with poor materials?

My standard 07/07 WRX STi Spec D has done 25 k miles now, so I hope my bottom end doesn't go soon, or the pistons?
Difficult to answer really, and debated many times, in std tune they are just about ok, but once you start to put extra stress on them (heat/boost) they crack around the ring lands usually. They are cast pistons and 2.0 WRX (cast) pistons have the same issue.
Old 31 August 2012, 09:13 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maxscooby
Pm Sent
Old 01 September 2012, 02:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D

Its because the engine was never designed to go into the Impreza STI, if you look at the cars it is in, JDM 2.5 Impreza (hatch) with automatic transmission (no manual's, and rated at 265ps), Forester STI (rated at 265ps) etc, its not a stressed engine in these vehicles, but emissions meant that the 2ltr was not viable for the EU (and the Yanks like bigger engines) so the 2.5ltr gets around that, but people wanted more power and they upped it, just that the engine wasnt up to it, but you may find there are virtually no failures in Japan as its not stressed the same.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 01 September 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01 September 2012, 02:30 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Later 2.5 engines from the hatches were changed around 2009 wernt they? Didn they change the block slightly and have slightly thicker liners in them? Pistons are still chocolate tho and as mentioned above would be the first port of call by all accounts as they are the same from start to finish from what i recall???
Old 01 September 2012, 09:13 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

API engines are well worth contacting for this type of problem.
The are near Leamington Spa.
Old 03 September 2012, 09:46 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxscooby

We are right on your doorstep and can sort that very economically if you want to go that way. Used engines are always a risk and some people get a good result, many don't. How often do you win the lottery ??

Call me if I can help

Good Luck David APi Impreza - Supporters of West Midland Scoobies

01926 614522