ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Is 2006 STI 2.5 engine the same as 2009 STI engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/948245-is-2006-sti-2-5-engine-the-same-as-2009-sti-engine.html)

maxscooby 31 August 2012 02:10 PM

Is 2006 STI 2.5 engine the same as 2009 STI engine

HI, the bottom end is knocking on my 2006 sti. I know someone who may have a engine from a 2009 2.5 sti. Is there anyway i can put maybe the bottom end from 2009 to my06. Also who does rebuilds on subaru around the west midlands and prices. thank you

lotus49 31 August 2012 02:22 PM

The big end went on my blob a few months ago. Having looked around for a long time it seems that the most economical way of doing this is just replacing the entire engine. It baffles me how it is cheaper to do that but that is the conclusion I came to. I got mine from Scooby Spares in Fleetwood and although it wasn't cheap, it was a lot cheaper than all the alternatives and three months later I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

The worst quote I had for this (from my local Subaru dealer) was £7k just for a short engine! An engine from a breaker should be much less than this. It is frustrating that a simple worn bearing is such a big deal but sadly it is.

BTW whatever you do, don't touch reconditioned-engines.co.uk (AKA Heathrow Engine Centre) with a barge pole - they are the worst criminals in the business.

juggers 31 August 2012 02:22 PM

Don't waste your time it will happen again just get a forged rebuild.

maxscooby 31 August 2012 02:48 PM

Thanks for reply mate. I could get the 2009 bottom end at a cheap price and thought maybe fitting that with forged steel con rods and pistons. Will that do me any good

wms-racing 31 August 2012 03:44 PM

How much is cheap? It may be cheaper to put a crank, bearings, rods, pistons in your engine? I can quote you if you want, where are you, i'm not far from Chester.
The 2.5 STI engine is notorious for piston problems, the rods are pretty good and happy enough at 400bhp, (many have run more), but a set of pistons is a must at the minimum.
Andy

Hawkeye D 31 August 2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wms-racing (Post 10771613)
How much is cheap? It may be cheaper to put a crank, bearings, rods, pistons in your engine? I can quote you if you want, where are you, i'm not far from Chester.
The 2.5 STI engine is notorious for piston problems, the rods are pretty good and happy enough at 400bhp, (many have run more), but a set of pistons is a must at the minimum.
Andy

Judging by your username, I guess you are in the know, but why have Subaru made so many 2.5's with chocolate pistons??!!

They must have known about it for ages, but still continued with poor materials?

My standard 07/07 WRX STi Spec D has done 25 k miles now, so I hope my bottom end doesn't go soon, or the pistons?
I put a lot of faith into the Japanese.

Hawkeye D 31 August 2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lotus49 (Post 10771464)
The big end went on my blob a few months ago. Having looked around for a long time it seems that the most economical way of doing this is just replacing the entire engine. It baffles me how it is cheaper to do that but that is the conclusion I came to. I got mine from Scooby Spares in Fleetwood and although it wasn't cheap, it was a lot cheaper than all the alternatives and three months later I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

The worst quote I had for this (from my local Subaru dealer) was £7k just for a short engine! An engine from a breaker should be much less than this. It is frustrating that a simple worn bearing is such a big deal but sadly it is.

BTW whatever you do, don't touch reconditioned-engines.co.uk (AKA Heathrow Engine Centre) with a barge pole - they are the worst criminals in the business.

And I'm sure the engine places around Twickenham rugby ground are still mugging people off.

maxscooby 31 August 2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wms-racing (Post 10771613)
Andy

hi im in birmingham. what kind of price am i looking at

wms-racing 31 August 2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 10771723)
Judging by your username, I guess you are in the know, but why have Subaru made so many 2.5's with chocolate pistons??!!

They must have known about it for ages, but still continued with poor materials?

My standard 07/07 WRX STi Spec D has done 25 k miles now, so I hope my bottom end doesn't go soon, or the pistons?

Difficult to answer really, and debated many times, in std tune they are just about ok, but once you start to put extra stress on them (heat/boost) they crack around the ring lands usually. They are cast pistons and 2.0 WRX (cast) pistons have the same issue.

wms-racing 31 August 2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxscooby (Post 10771948)

Pm Sent

TonyBurns 01 September 2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 10771723)

Its because the engine was never designed to go into the Impreza STI, if you look at the cars it is in, JDM 2.5 Impreza (hatch) with automatic transmission (no manual's, and rated at 265ps), Forester STI (rated at 265ps) etc, its not a stressed engine in these vehicles, but emissions meant that the 2ltr was not viable for the EU (and the Yanks like bigger engines) so the 2.5ltr gets around that, but people wanted more power and they upped it, just that the engine wasnt up to it, but you may find there are virtually no failures in Japan as its not stressed the same.

Tony:)

Infected by sti 01 September 2012 02:30 PM

Later 2.5 engines from the hatches were changed around 2009 wernt they? Didn they change the block slightly and have slightly thicker liners in them? Pistons are still chocolate tho and as mentioned above would be the first port of call by all accounts as they are the same from start to finish from what i recall???

cster 01 September 2012 09:13 PM

API engines are well worth contacting for this type of problem.
The are near Leamington Spa.

APIDavid 03 September 2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by maxscooby (Post 10771948)

We are right on your doorstep and can sort that very economically if you want to go that way. Used engines are always a risk and some people get a good result, many don't. How often do you win the lottery ??

Call me if I can help

Good Luck David APi Impreza - Supporters of West Midland Scoobies

01926 614522