Notices

advise with buying my first impreza

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2012, 04:04 PM
jamesmacc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise with buying my first impreza

hey folks, sorry in advance for the long post, just want to be sure i buy the right car without any hidden problems. i have wanted a impreza for a few years now but couldnt own one due to my age etc etc so i chose cars i could insure like astra gsi, fiesta st.focus st,focus rs, fiesta st and mondeo st. i can now insure a uk sti for about £800 so im happy. were i live i can only get 95 ron fuel, i have enquired about methenol mix's and octane booster etc and the general verdict from tuners was to have it mapped to run 95 petrol. i prefer the hawkeye look but im told im best to go with the 2.0 blob eye as the engine is stronger than the 2.5 in the hawkeye and is more likely to hold up better to the 95 fuel. i contacted andy and he said a mapped 2.0 sti that made 350 bhp on 99 would make about 320 on 95 and be nice and safe, im happy to loose the 30 bhp knowing the car will be ok, he also said the best car to buy to hold upto it is a 2005 uk sti, he said they are one of the best made and for the £450 for mapping he will do twin maps (low/high boost) he can also do launch control and flat foot shift, i dont need them but its nice to have all the extras for a play around.
my budget is about £7-7.5k, i have seen a couple very nice low millage 2005 uk stis for around that price with some decent modifications that i would have done myself.
is there anything i should watch out for when going to look at and drive them, im a mechanic to trade so i have the essentials covered but is there any model to stay clear of or any common faults that are hard to spot?
please let me know what you think and go easy on me
cheers,