08 WRX STI Type uk.

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2012, 09:26 PM
Tiny...
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 WRX STI Type uk.

Evening guys. Newbie here.

Currently drive a Mk2 Ford Focus RS in Green pushing just shy of 400bhp and 405 ft lbs.

I'm looking at an 08/58 WRX STI. Need to pull a bit of money out of the car so the RS has to go.

Love the look of these and the performance speaks for itself even though it is almost 100bhp down on the Ford.

Been looking on here at things to look for, faults and other things about them, but there I cant seem to find the answers to my questions. Also, you only seem to read about the bad things.

I've read about engine failure. How reliable is the engine? What are safe levels of power?

Also been looking at the 330 PPP. Can this be done to a standard 300bhp one afterwards? If so, what is the cost of doing it.

The cars I'm looking at are out of warranty, so is an aftermarket warranty advisable or are they reliable enough to not bother?

Finally, what are servicing costs like, and what do they cost to maintain. My RS has been reliable from day one with no issues whatsoever. Hoping i'll find a scoob just the same.

Thanks in advance.

T
Old 01 July 2012, 10:18 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum dude!
If your going for a car outside of warranty go for one with a forged engine rebuild!!

They are great cars and with 400bhp/400ltb theres not much out there that can beat them heres my baby.

Old 01 July 2012, 10:22 PM
Tiny...
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply. That's what I want. Looks the dogs go-nads.

Are the forged engine rebuilds quite common then?

What should I be looking at spending to get a good one? See a fair few around the 14k mark.
Old 01 July 2012, 10:31 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Mines a special edition (JDM) Japanese domestic market only STI SPEC C R205. it's based on the spec c varient which comes with the stronger 2.0L higher revving stronger engine good for 450bhp with out fiddling with the internals.

£14k sounds fair enough for an 08 car with forged engine or better yet sell your car and buy one dirt cheap £8k-10k with a blown engine and have it forged ya self. Or you can go down the JDM route however finding a JDM hatch will be very hard and if you do your looking at £18k+
Old 01 July 2012, 11:11 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Or for that budget buy one from a main dealer and it comes with a 12 month warranty, can be extended at the end of that year of you wanted to. No need to worry or looking out for a forged one as they don't come up often and if they do more times than not they have big turbo and all supporting mods and they are over your 14k budget.

Great cars though, tick all the boxes and in my opinion look spot on.
Old 01 July 2012, 11:20 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Try get a 2ltr IMO as the 2.5 are a bit funny when modding you can get bottom end failure. Jdm specs are the one to be had if your wanting a bullet proof one they have the strongest engines when modding.
Old 02 July 2012, 08:50 AM
Tiny...
Scooby Newbie

I've been looking in all the usual places, but the only 2ltr one I can see is a Keighley Trade Centre, and I wouldn't buy a car off them if they were the only dealer left on the planet.

Can anyone point me in the direction of one? The others I keep seeing are not WRX STI's.

Also, whats the difference between the 330S and the 330PPP?

Are the 2.5's really that bad?
Never say never when it comes to modding, but the first job it to sort the interior out. Having had Volvo's, Beemers and the RS, the Scoob is lacking inside, but nothing a bespoke retrim couldnt fix.

At the moment, I'd be more than happy with 330bhp.

Would love the Cosworth, but I don't have £35-40k to spend...
Old 06 July 2012, 01:27 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Your not gong to get a 2.0l jdm hatch for 14k perhaps a forged aftermarket on yes, but theres none for sale at the mo by the look of things.