Notices

STI Blob? Worth paying 5k NZD extra on top of bugeye?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2012, 12:04 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Blob? Worth paying 5k NZD extra on top of bugeye?

Hi guys,

Past few months I have been trying to save up for a Bugeye STI and now that I have managed to save up for it I am having second-thoughts about getting one. I have had an eye out for the blobs too (they are out of budget still) and they do have extra features, however, is it worth to spend about 5k (NZD) more for a blob or just stick with a bugeye?

And by that being said, which one is easier to push over 350 ponies and its going to be a daily drive too if that helps.

Just wanted to know whether I should start saving for a month or two more to get the blob or go with the Bugeye.

Cheers
Old 27 June 2012, 12:41 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I dont think there is a great deal between the 2 of the cars engine wise, but the later blobeye would be the one to go for 2005 onwards with the dccd and widetrack running gear, if you like the look of the bugs then go for it and save your pennies for making it the way you want, however that said if ur heart desires a blobeye over a bugeye then get the blob eye or else everytime you see one or next to one your not going to be happy sat in a bug eye! Each to their own dude but both the bug and blobs run same engine and running gear or so i beleive
Old 27 June 2012, 12:53 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

I used to have blobeye with wider track and was brilliant but as said not sure much different engine. With a map and full turbo back exhaust and fuel pump manages 350 roughly no problem and could have the 2maps to use
Old 27 June 2012, 01:12 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

I think Blob it is =) in the long run I believe blob might be the better option
Old 27 June 2012, 01:16 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I think the 2 map switchable setting is only available also from 2005> fly by wire throttle (non cable) wanted this for my 2003 blob with the extra toys such as the racer rom software over here which gives you anti lag, flat throttle changing, launch controll etc, but the bug is just as capable just means new management!
Old 27 June 2012, 01:17 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

So it is possible to have a switchable setting in the blob 2003?
Old 27 June 2012, 01:24 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

No not on oe ecu, it can be fully mapped but does not support the switchable maps, again this would be after market ecu such as simtek,link,apexi etc. this is what i was wanting in mine (u.k spec sti), but like mentiomed its onlt available on the later blobs onwards (2005 i beleive)
Old 27 June 2012, 01:26 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Aw man! I would have loved to have something like that!

Guess cant have everything at the same time. I will see if I can score a 2nd hand ECU too from breakers
Old 27 June 2012, 01:33 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Its not as easy as that as the blobeye up to 2005 ran a throttle cable where as the later 2005> models have drive / fly by wire which is sensor operated on the peddal which inturn supports different management, if your refgering to second hand aftermarket ecu just watch what you buy an make sure it supports your model car, mine has been mapped on the oe ecu with an ECUTEK remap and is currently running 345/355lb ft, but i am also on the hunt for management but all to be done on a budget so buying everything else to go with it so can upgrade everything elae in 1 go and get it back in to be mapped
Old 27 June 2012, 01:39 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Yeah man I am on a budget too, I am only 20 so it takes a while for me to save up but as long as the end result is what I want then its allgood!
Old 27 June 2012, 01:50 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Same here fella! Although sometimes i do wish i had a get rich quick scheme so i can make the car what i want lol, there is always the lottery i suppose

Good luck with it all and if u got the spare change try finding the later 2005 model if prices aint that different where you are or even the jdm model although i would immagine they would be a bit more in NZ lol
Old 27 June 2012, 02:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think all uk blobs are throttle cable.
i think fly by dire came in on the hawks
Old 27 June 2012, 02:05 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Same here fella! Although sometimes i do wish i had a get rich quick scheme so i can make the car what i want lol, there is always the lottery i suppose
Just put your foot down and work hard man.
"apply yourself, to supply your wealth" << Came across that haha using that as a motivation

Good luck with it all and if u got the spare change try finding the later 2005 model if prices aint that different where you are or even the jdm model although i would immagine they would be a bit more in NZ lol
Man 2005> would cost me an arm and a leg and plus insurance over here is expensive as it is because they are the top 5 cars to get stolen in the country.
Old 27 June 2012, 02:10 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Tubby i thought that the later widetrack blobs can run the racer rom software on the oe ecu? If so dont they have to be fly by wire to run the racerom software?
Old 27 June 2012, 02:15 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I do apply myself lol just working in the health sector does not always reap the financial benefits but gives you a much better sense of what your doing is helping another person to lead a fullfilled life

And getting a second job with out taxes just aint worth it lmao robbing lot our government see!
Old 27 June 2012, 02:20 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I do apply myself lol just working in the health sector does not always reap the financial benefits but gives you a much better sense of what your doing is helping another person to lead a fullfilled life

And getting a second job with out taxes just aint worth it lmao robbing lot our government see!
I know what you mean, I usually get only 3-4 hours of sleep, got work in a bit so going to sleep now. Take care bud! hope everything works out on your end.