Notices

Question for Mappers - IAT Sensor & SD

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2012, 06:04 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Mappers - IAT Sensor & SD

What are you guys doing with your IAT sensor when running speed density?

I've been working on my SD map on my car for a while now and it's great. I've got my boost, timing and sd comps dialled in perfectly but on warm days I'm finding that I'm running slightly lean (still no knock). I've tried scaling the MAF IAT and it's made an improvement but the location of the sensor is not ideal.

I've picked up an AEM IAT which is going to be tapped into my old TGV sensor wiring but I'm not sure where the best place to plumb the sensor is. I'm running a TMIC and was thinking about dropping it in the hose between the throttle body and TMIC, or maybe tapping it into the IC itself?

What are you guys doing??

Cheers

Ben
Old 15 June 2012, 09:28 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I'm not running SD on my car but have run it on some motorsport applications at work ( not Subaru tho).

I would put the sensor in the intake manifold if possible, hose between TMIC and TB would be OK but is then a source of boost leaks etc. TMIC would be OK but is it consistent ? Ideally you want to measure the air temp that the engine is using, this allows your mapping to be the most accurate.
Old 15 June 2012, 10:54 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

When I was mounting a k-type thermocouple, for IAT, on an FMIC, I was told not to use the inlet manifold as the mounting area. As heat soak, in that area, effects the temperatures.
So it went in the pipework, a few inches before the throttle body.
HTH

Last edited by 2pot; 15 June 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 15 June 2012, 11:41 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

A correctly mounted thermocouple is immune from heat soak as the measuring tip should be in the airflow. Who ever told you different was wrong.
Old 15 June 2012, 01:13 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Surely the charge temperatures are higher in the inlet manifold, due to heat soak? That's why we use thermal spacers between the manifold and the heads, to reduce charge temperatures/increase density?
Old 15 June 2012, 02:43 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's right and the reason that measuring the air temp in the inlet manifold will give the most accurate data for the SD mapping. I took your original comment to mean that the thermocouple would suffer from heatsoak through the inlet manifold itself, which would mean it was'nt mounted correctly. Heatsoak from the manifold metal into the air is what we want to be measuring.
Old 15 June 2012, 05:27 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input lads

I think I'm going to tap it into the IC/TB hose, I can't see there being huge difference (temp wise) mounting there than in the the inlet manifold - and it'll be much easier to install

Next question then, can I purchase the small metal hose for the IC off the shelf or am I better off getting one fabricated, I'm definitely sticking with the TMIC,

Cheers

Ben