Notices

newbie here with a turbo issue, sorry if im reposting an old post :S

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2012, 06:34 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie here with a turbo issue, sorry if im reposting an old post :S

Hi guys im new here so go easy please I have a 1999 impreza AWD 2000 turbo. my problem is my car seems to be under boosting, i used to get 0.9 on the gauge which i believe is standard for my car, in the last couple of days i am unable to get it over 0.5 i can here the turbo spooling. I have the standard dump valve on her and there are no other after market parts other than silicone hoses which where put on by previous owner, i have tried to move the wastegate actuator arm as i have heard this may be the issue, it does move back and forward all though it seems quite stiff and rough to move but i dont know what its supposed to be like to start with lol. any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 12 June 2012, 07:02 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

I would say you either need to clean or replace your boost solenoid
Old 12 June 2012, 07:54 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

ok thanks i will try that, i forgto to mention that a few weeks ago like a fool i fitted an after market boost controller to just get a little more boost, i only had it up one click on the boost controller but it was over boosting to around 1.2 or more in the end i took it off and has not been rite since, i should have mentioned it in previous post as its this that has made my turbo poorly
Old 12 June 2012, 07:58 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

I would check all your plumbing is correct and not leaking
Old 12 June 2012, 08:18 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

i have check, checked and double checked all the pipes are on correct, only one thing im kinda unsure about is the little plastic T piece that connects 3 pipes one from intercooler manifold i think, the other goes to turbo and other buggers off under a electric box or some sort on the inside of drivers wing by the airbox im pretty sure they are as there supposed to be but i have no pic to compare it to. but by the length of pipes it can only go in one combination. thanks for you replies guys.
Old 12 June 2012, 09:05 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the restrictor pill is missing?

I cant remember if your year has a 3 port or 2 port solonoid.

if its a 3 port. The pipe that goes from the bottom of your OEM solonoid plumbs back in to the intake system. It'l have a little brass nipple in the pipe thats leads to the intake. that nipple is there for a reason bud.

If you have a 2 port solonoid. the nipple will sit between the turbo, an the T piece.

This is all off memory. but im sure if the restrictor is missing in some applications, the car wont boost. So find the oem pipes if there not fitted.

Last edited by scoobaru mad; 12 June 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12 June 2012, 09:14 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

sounds to me like you have got the vacum hoses wrong or missing the restictor pill in the vacum hose.
Old 12 June 2012, 09:25 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Old 12 June 2012, 09:29 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

i have put all the pipes back on that where originally on it when it was running fine, up till 2 days ago after i took the boost valve off i was getting around 0.7 but now just the 0.5, i didnt recall seeing this restrictor pill thing as did not touch any other pipes only the ones where the plastic T piece meets 3 pipes together, do any of you guys knw where i can see a standard picture of the set up, as u never knw i could have put a pipe on wrong or something, i usually take pics whenever i do something like this but on this occasion i didnt and looks what happened, only have myself to blame.
Old 12 June 2012, 09:43 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
wow great pic thanks, looks very similar to my set up, that pipe with the pill in? the one on mine is a blue silicone hose and has been on it since i had it, when it was running fine i will take the laptop out tomorrow and compare this to mine exactly and see if its all the same.
Old 12 June 2012, 10:10 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

so sorry guys i just racked my brains and there was a dark gray piece of pipe where the vacume pipe is on pic, i will have to hunt for it now, would that be the reason the boost valve i added was over boosting no matter how low i turned it down? im such a tit so sorry and thanks for all you replies your good guys.
Old 12 June 2012, 10:14 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpearce
so sorry guys i just racked my brains and there was a dark gray piece of pipe where the vacume pipe is on pic, i will have to hunt for it now, would that be the reason the boost valve i added was over boosting no matter how low i turned it down? im such a tit so sorry and thanks for all you replies your good guys.
does anyone know where i could get a new pipe with the pill, incase i cant find mine
Old 12 June 2012, 10:37 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

You could go to subaru themselves. Or just put a wanted up on here.

Hope it sorts your problem buddy
Old 12 June 2012, 10:39 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

yeah i will do mate, its here somewhere i knw i didnt chuck it away for sure lol, i wont sleep tonight wondering where it is cheers buddy
Old 13 June 2012, 01:33 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jpearce
yeah i will do mate, its here somewhere i knw i didnt chuck it away for sure lol, i wont sleep tonight wondering where it is cheers buddy
I am sure there are Gremlins that look for people working on their cars and move thingsa when you are not looking. I on many occasions have been working put something down only to look for it 5 minutes later and give it where the "F!!" is that?

Last edited by 360ste; 13 June 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 13 June 2012, 02:02 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

many moons ago without realising there was a pill i did the same, lucky for me i never throw pipes away.
Old 13 June 2012, 11:48 AM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

just an update guys, found the pipe it was in my glove box have re fitted her and all is now ok. thanks so much for all your posts as i would have never realised what it was.
Old 13 June 2012, 12:38 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Great news buddy!
Old 13 June 2012, 01:38 PM
jpearce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobaru mad
Great news buddy!
yeah thank good, i just took her for a good blast, am only getting about 0.8 instead of 0.9, thats in 4th with foot to floor just wont jump that extra .1 lol any ideas.