My new impreza.......... ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2012, 11:16 AM
Milkybadger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new impreza.......... ?

Hey, new here

Bought my 02 bugeye WRX and been driving it for around 2 months, must say.. its awesome!

Ive just sold my old car...
(I forced myself to sell it, before I start mess with the impreza.. it was hard but I did it!)

The Subaru is as mint and as clean as they come, stamped by a subaru dealer for the full 92k miles its done, garaged, 2 owners. COMPLETELY STANDARD! (strange for a scooby i know) and i bought it from a chap who was retiring (hed owned it 5 years) and it was his pride and joy,

The condition of the car is immaculate, no smoke atall, no knocks or bangs, squeaks or rattles, feels tight and very under tired, an absolute catch.

I want to hit 300bhp with my first set of modifications etc etc, I live near warwick and ive heard great things about Mark at Thwaites Development both from the forums and friends who have used him.

The cars a completely blank canvas and I want to take this chance to do everything properly.

What mods am looking at to achieve the 300bhp generally with a remap?

Also is TD open on Saturdays? no answer on the phone, and also does Mark obtain the right parts for you? or are you expected to bring them along with you?

Looking to get the main part done before I go on my random road trips in the nice weather, I want the sexy burble...

Any help is much appreciated, i know this has probably been asked 100 times before but hopefully it will provide help to others wrapping it all up in one topic on a blank car with no variables or work already done.

Last edited by Milkybadger; 26 May 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:29 AM
Milkybadger
Scooby Regular

From what I gather, the main initial remap is done by modifyign the exhaust and sticking in the 255lph walbro fuel pump,

Exhaust wise your looking at clearing out satans sandboxes (Cats) from the exhaust system, and going straight through from the turbo to the end,

I gauge that this will take you from your 220bhp standard to around 280bhp unless im missing something :S

But also is anybody still leaving a sports cat in of some kind just to remain legal because as we know subarus attract 'the rozzers' whether you like it or not.

Would even fitting the highest flowing sports cat available affect the outcome power a noticable amount or is it more along the lines of, take them all out or it isnt worth it?

Is it realy as simple as exhaust and fuel pump remap to get 280bhp? and what will take you that little extra to hit the nice 300?
Old 26 May 2012, 01:02 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

A frequently asked question this, may we need a sticky on this subject?

Anyway, 300bhp is really pushing the TD04 turbo you have and not even sure if the injectors will max out before that. I'd focus on a more realistic figure of 270-280, this is very achievable with simply a cat back exhaust package, decent panel filter and a remap.

Anymore power and your looking at bigger turbo,injectors,up rated fuel pump to name a few bits. With these added bits your looking at +\-330 ish depending on parts.

A word of warning though, upgrade the brakes if your thinking about doing this. The standard ones are awful and with the added performance your want the extra stopping power. A decent set of pad and discs will do the job if you didnt want to go all out and replace the calipers.
Old 26 May 2012, 01:20 PM
Milkybadger
Scooby Regular

ID be looking to do that first initial 1st stage then to 280 ish then look at going the next step to 330+ at a later date, I dont want to put new parts on now for the 280 to then have to change them again to get 330, so for example id only want to put a new exhaust on once.

Yes, dont worry im not the normal clueless chav, already eying some new callipers and brake setup to go with some Sti wheels..... which brings me onto another little question

Whats the deal with sticking the 18" STi wheels onto my standard WRX which are 17"s, will the change need to be mapped in so the speedo reads correctly?
Old 26 May 2012, 01:44 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

You won't need to change the exhaust system more than once even if you buy a new cat back package. It will work fine with the future mods unless you decide to go for a 3" full system. I bought a cat back package when I first got my car and it's still on there (with a supporting decat up pipe and downpipe) and I'm now running 346bhp.

Not sure about the speedo issue, mine doesn't seem much out when I compare it with a Tomtom.
Old 26 May 2012, 02:23 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you go upto 18's you will have to drop an aspect ratio on the tyres . ie 225/50 on 17's will need to be 225/45 on 18's.
Old 26 May 2012, 03:06 PM
Milkybadger
Scooby Regular

Yes i envision rubber bands lol,

i think that theres a clear stage 1 and stage 2 on the scooby mods here looking across other forums and posts also,

Stage 1: Exhaust, fuel pump, remap 280bhp ish
Stage 2: Injectors, turbo etc etc remap for 330bhp ish,

Exhaust wise, what if i want to keep a high flowing sports cat in there to remain legal, how will this affect figures?
Old 26 May 2012, 03:18 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

all within easy reach of you...

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/

http://www.apiimpreza.com/

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/

this is good for.. ref your mod list..

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58901.html
Old 26 May 2012, 03:19 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Your only loose about 15-20bhp in my experience compared to the decat.
Old 26 May 2012, 05:25 PM
Milkybadger
Scooby Regular

Awesome links!

ill have to ring Thwaites and see how their prices compare.

Generally i find Milltek prices for exhaust parts are insane, but if its whats needed... its needed!

10-20bhp... TOO MUCH! lol, its coming out, going to have to have it made with flanges on for the MoT haha :P

Last edited by Milkybadger; 26 May 2012 at 05:33 PM.