Notices

Return to sump catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2012, 12:53 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return to sump catch can question

I am about to fit my return to sump hose from my oil catch can. I was planning on replacing the sump plug with an adapter for the hose.
This one:

Is some sort of non-return valve required to stop the oil from the sump going up the hose?
I'm interested how other folk have plumbed their return to sump.

Cheers
Old 20 May 2012, 09:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty well the same as mine. There's no one-way valve. I guess the highest oil would go in the return pipe is the level in the sump?

JohnD
Old 20 May 2012, 10:47 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

does your catch tank have a water separator? i've seen the moisture content that collects in them and i wouldn't want it back in my engine.
Old 21 May 2012, 07:50 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

i thought that the return pipe would go higher up on the side of the sump not replace the sump plug? plus as above with the crap that collects in mine i wouldnt want it returned back to the sump.
Old 21 May 2012, 07:54 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

thirded! oil vapur condensates with moisture from the air and ends up looking like mushroom soup in the catch can, ill stick with draining into a bucket now and again and replace with nice fresh silky stuff.
Old 21 May 2012, 08:34 AM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

All that is in your catch can is a mixture of oil, fuel vapour and water.

If you left your can still for long enough, all that will remain will be oil, as out of your engine.

By returning to sump simply speeds this process up, as the water content burns off once it reaches the sump, leaving just oil.

So instead of emptying your catch can every now and then, along with constantly topping your oil level up, you won't have to. (although it is always recommended you check your oil level on a regular basis).
Old 21 May 2012, 09:01 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

mine just fills up with a bit of mayo and mainly water so glad its not being returned to the engine.
Old 21 May 2012, 11:17 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your advice guys but i don't want this thread to be about the merits of return to sump. My catch can is half full after 1 track session so emptying everytime i return to the pits is not practical. And i don't get milky mayo in mine, just oil. Well nothing on the road as i have kept the pcv and drive like a granny but lots of oil on track.

Originally Posted by JohnD
Looks pretty well the same as mine. There's no one-way valve. I guess the highest oil would go in the return pipe is the level in the sump?

JohnD
Thats what i thought but i was wondering if there was any pressure in the sump that might force it up the hose or maybe some hard cornering/braking might push it up.

Last edited by DonNedly; 21 May 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 21 May 2012, 09:55 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Only one person with any input on this then?
Old 21 May 2012, 10:46 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DonNedly;106325
Thats what i thought but i was wondering if there was any pressure in the sump that might force it up the hose or maybe some hard cornering/braking might push it up.[/QUOTE]

I assume you've got two breather pipes into the tank, one from the tank to atmosphere and the return pipe at the bottom?
There should be no pressure in the sump as it's being vented via the tank to atmosphere. I suppose in theory, hard left hand cornering would push oil to the plug side of the sump but I wouldn't imagine much would be forced along and up the pipe and certainly nowhere near the catch tank itself (Mines mounted to the rear and just below the fuel filter)

JohnD
Old 22 May 2012, 11:23 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
I assume you've got two breather pipes into the tank, one from the tank to atmosphere and the return pipe at the bottom?
There should be no pressure in the sump as it's being vented via the tank to atmosphere. I suppose in theory, hard left hand cornering would push oil to the plug side of the sump but I wouldn't imagine much would be forced along and up the pipe and certainly nowhere near the catch tank itself (Mines mounted to the rear and just below the fuel filter)

JohnD
I have 3 breathers in to the can and then a vta from the top of the can venting down the transmission tunnel and the return pipe at bottom of the can. Mounted in the same place, just behind/below the fuel filter.
I guess i'm just worrying because the consequences of oil going round the system the wrong way would be catastrophic.