Notices

Decoke kit? Anyone used one?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2012, 09:06 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decoke kit? Anyone used one?

Just wonder if anyone has used one of these special decoke kits, spray can to remove gunk from inside engine cylinders? Anyone recommend a brand that they;ve used before without issue?
Old 17 April 2012, 11:18 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally i would never touch anything like that.
Old 17 April 2012, 11:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nor me. It MIGHT loosen a bit of crud which then gets caught under the exhaust valve, and helps it to burn out
Old 17 April 2012, 03:17 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're usually pretty safe and can be effective in some cases. Used to use a bottle of Redex in the old days - poured into the carburettor and clouds of smoke!
You may feel a difference or you may not, but used as directed, should do no harm. The best known is probably http://www.ecotekplc.com/PowerBoost.htm I've used this with no ill effects but admit I didn't feel any noticable improvement, that's not to say it didn't do a bit of cleaning.

JohnD
Old 17 April 2012, 03:57 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys, I did have concerns with chunks of coke going out the exit ports...also read about BK44 something...that's meant to be good.
Old 17 April 2012, 05:15 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

If you manage an actual chunk of coke (albeit small) coming loose, I would suggest your engine needed a treatment a long time ago! Modern petrols and oils produce very little carbon as well as engines running much leaner than before and physical de-coking is virtually unheard of. I remember back in the '60's and '70's scraping carbon off pistons and valves and lapping the valves into their seats after just 20-30k miles.

JohnD
Old 17 April 2012, 06:14 PM
Spencerdale89
Scooby Regular

if its aint broken..... dont fix it!!
Old 18 April 2012, 08:51 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well my cars only done about 4-5k but most of it has been bloody rich on idle. Various mappers setup the car the same so it would idle semi smooth (lary cams) but now I've got the software myself and I've made improvements...I've seen the bores though, coked up on pistons...hence asking.
Old 18 April 2012, 04:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Well my cars only done about 4-5k but most of it has been bloody rich on idle. Various mappers setup the car the same so it would idle semi smooth (lary cams) but now I've got the software myself and I've made improvements...I've seen the bores though, coked up on pistons...hence asking.
From what you say I assume you are running open loop on and off boost so the mapper has adjusted AFR for off boost running to accomodate the timing of the cams? Do you know what the AFR is at idle? Thank heavens for VVT

JohnD
Old 18 April 2012, 05:00 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Not yet as I'm still waiting for my ecu to come back with wideband functions added and then i can install my innovate....doesn't really make much difference as I'd already changed my idle area of mapping to reduce fueling (by decent numbers) and get the ecu/narrrow band lamdba to read rich/lean rich/lean more often, previously it was always in the 2nd to top red on rich at idle. Another chap that's helping me with mapping said my idle fuel figures were double his...

Car def is a bit sooty around bores...so fancy giving it a clean up...looking at seafoam now.