Engine overhaul,

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2012, 02:48 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine overhaul,

Right so I wanna over haul my enigne in the next year or so,

I dont want to put silly power through I just want it standard but new standard.

So wanna do head gaskets , rings , get a head skim done,
Now ive been fitting engines and rebuilding them for now not as a carrear but as a hobby, done a few now but they have all been either motorcycles or v6s or straight 4s ,
Ive never attempted a boxer engine before.

Ive had a look and from what i can see i cant figure out how you get the pistons out, now im assuming that the sump comes off like any other car and you can get to the rod caps and undo them and then knock the pistons out, am i correct in thinking this?

Now unless there is really obvious signs of scorching or scratching or pitting on the shell bearings would i need to change them?

I m hoping to have to just do rings, gaskets all round.

Any pointers anything I should look out for?
Anything you advise i should do whilst its in bits, other than the obvious of fitting forged internals but like i said i dont want to go do down that route,
ODB, 5 speed box and money just a few reasons why

Looking forward to your input and suggestions.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:35 PM
scoobyhyp
Scooby Regular

hi ive got a pdf file on flat 4 engines but not sure how to put it on this site ?
Old 29 March 2012, 06:47 PM
Leekay
Scooby Regular

HI..

I'am in the middle of Rebuilding my EJ20 And even with 12 years of being a mechanic i could'nt work out how to get the pistons out...Untill i used you tube

there Are Quite a few videos showing all aspects of rebuilding The EJ20..

To get the pistons out you first Remove A blanking plug out of the block, Remove the Clip holding in the Wrist pin (Little end to Me) And i used The Rod out of a Old Silicone Gun With a Small 5mm Hook Lip Ground on The End To Remove the pin..And then Turn The Crank to push the Piston Crown Out Of The Top Of The Clyinder...Sounds Easy When you know how...

I have taken over 100 pictures So If You Require any info Just ask..
Old 29 March 2012, 07:08 PM
scoobyhyp
Scooby Regular

Default pdf scooby 1993-1996

whats you email i will send it to ya
Old 29 March 2012, 10:07 PM
scoobyhyp
Scooby Regular

hi guys well you are very welcome to the file but its 47.2 mb and that is to big for an email ive tried to compress but it doesnt compress enough any ideas ??????
Old 30 March 2012, 09:51 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyhyp
hi guys well you are very welcome to the file but its 47.2 mb and that is to big for an email ive tried to compress but it doesnt compress enough any ideas ??????
erm , you could set your self up a dropbox.com account and put the file into public folder and then share the link,

this will allow you to give a link to the file and people can download it from that link.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2012, 10:46 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Taking a lead from the carpentry trade, the trick is to "measure twice and cut once".
As we spend a fair bit of time rebuilding Subaru engines, and more often than not, those that others have worked on, it appears it's the actual engineering that leaves much to be desired.
We're more than happy to work with those brave enough to have a go at them, by offering machining work, part builds, or anything else we can help with.
Old 30 March 2012, 03:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sending some bits your way in the not too distant future.

Can you get hold of wiesco piston rings, or would any of the correct diameter do the same job, which is what i'm thinking.

Sorry for the thread hijack, my advice would be to let alan do your machine work, he's very reasonably priced.
Old 30 March 2012, 06:50 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
sending some bits your way in the not too distant future.

Can you get hold of wiesco piston rings, or would any of the correct diameter do the same job, which is what i'm thinking.

Sorry for the thread hijack, my advice would be to let alan do your machine work, he's very reasonably priced.
Yes, we can supply Wiseco, many thanks..
Old 30 March 2012, 09:43 PM
scoobyhyp
Scooby Regular

evening check your email should have recieved that pdf ???
Old 31 March 2012, 12:26 PM
vote for pedro
Scooby Regular

I'm just doing my first Subaru rebuild and I'll dig out copies of manuals and spec sheets and can send if you pm address. I would say use genuine parts where poss(found advanced automotive reasonable) and buy gaskets you need rather than whole kit. Use three bond sealant for crank cases and graphogen paste on bearings.with new oil pump and cam belt kit it's not cheap but should give you a spot on engine for a good price.
Hope this helps
Pete
Old 31 March 2012, 05:37 PM
vote for pedro
Scooby Regular

To tap out piston pin I used an old rover head bolt(long ones) with piece of metal with hole in, then hit the final 10mm of thread over to form a 90 degree / hook .
Place the hook through piston pin and hook onto far edge then use as a slide hammer tapping block away ontothewasher /bolt head and pulling pin out.
Cost nothing as had Bits in workshop.
"I love it when a plan comes together"
Old 02 April 2012, 11:38 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

PDF Is awesome can send on if any body needs it pm me.

Ok cool well i want to get this underway as im sure i have real sh** compression, i can turn my flywheel over by hand doesnt feel like much compression yet car still goes like the clappers!

SO do these have shell bearings on the rod ends and is better to replace these or use the existing as they are already worn in,

Whats a se of rings gonna cost for standard jap import wrx. ?

Cheers guys
Old 02 April 2012, 12:00 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

what rings would i need can i use 92.25mm or would i need the block machine for this.? what is the standard size jap import wrx 1995 ?

Cheers
Old 04 April 2012, 07:35 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Definitely Replace the big ends & mains mate. They are the main cause of engine failures. The oilways & jets get blocked with contamination and therefore stop lubricating the bearings properly, so make sure you fully clean everything & replace the bearings with ACL Race series or Cosworth bearings.

If you want to run oversize pistons you will need to get your block rebored. See if the bores are in good condition first before you decide, you may just need a set of rings (92mm).
Old 04 April 2012, 03:25 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

can any one tell me about gapping rings i have a 3 sets that are oversize by .25 but heard something about gapping?