turbo intake pipe

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 04:59 PM
matt077
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo intake pipe

Hi all

won a new turbo intake pipe to replace the standard pipe off ebay cheap which i'm over the moon about BUT looking at the engine, how could i fit this with out taking the inlet off?

its a shame as the engine was bits the weekend before as i'm upgrading alot of bits and dont really want to remove the inlet again

any help would be great guys

Thanks
Old 27 March 2012, 05:05 PM
colebags
Scooby Regular

i did mine with out taking the inlet of just a real tight fit with the inlet on i cut the old one off as was split any way
Old 27 March 2012, 06:29 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope it's of good quality and thick! Lesser ones have been known to collapse due to the suction of the turbo under full boost.

JohnD
Old 27 March 2012, 09:22 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

No need to take manifold off, move power steering pump to the right and slide it under the manifold . I have done this on my last 2 Scoobs , hardest part is removing the old inlet pipe which you need to cut off the vac hoses and cut it in half to remove it.
Old 28 March 2012, 11:01 AM
matt077
Scooby Regular

well it come this morning and looks ok, not brand new but no one will tell once i've cleaned it up

looking at the pas pump, can i remove it to the right with out removing any ps lines? i've seen some people have problems when removing ps lines
Old 28 March 2012, 11:07 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I did it last weekend without taking off inlet manifold and was a right PITA!!! Several cut fingers and 5 hrs later!! Better to just take manifold off.
Old 28 March 2012, 11:41 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
I did it last weekend without taking off inlet manifold and was a right PITA!!! Several cut fingers and 5 hrs later!! Better to just take manifold off.
for sure. and you can tidy up under there while it's off too
Old 28 March 2012, 12:07 PM
matt077
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tom-r33
for sure. and you can tidy up under there while it's off too
its only just been cleaned painted and refitted lol

looks like it be coming off again tonight
Old 28 March 2012, 01:26 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

not 100% necessary if you really dont wana take it off.....
Old 29 March 2012, 04:36 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Don't quite know how come it took you so long, as I could have fitted 2 turbos on 2 cars in less time than that and I am no mechanic . The 1st time I fitted a samco induction pipe on my 99 car it took me 45 mins,and the hardest part was cutting the old induction hose out . When I fitted another samco induction to my current car it took 30 mins tops. It is a PITA , but if you slacken the power steering pump off and move it slightly to the right, then cover your induction hose with fairy liquid you will find that it slides under the manifold quite easily. Then it is a case of simply easing the breather hoses under and twisting into place. No cut fingers after just a cloth to wipe the induction hose after you have secured it to the turbo.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:45 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

5 hrs for me because, remove:

Air box, Catch Can, Breather pipes, move 3 port hoses, Intercooler, Dump valve, Strut Brace, old turbo inlet.

A few stubborn bolts under inlet manifold that were in the way, these took a while to get to and move.

First fitting which involved several breather pipes on inlet to be trimmed and find and adjust bungs for this.

Second fitting and aftermarket silicone inlet is an inch too long as hose that recir dump valve fits into is inaccessible. Trim it short, refit and then spend almost an hour trying to get this hose from recir dump valve to fit into inlet hose. This fitting is under the inlet manifold with no room for manoeuvring.

Finally get it on and fit all breather bungs, jubilee clips. Re-rout some of the messy 3 port hoses, drain catch can & re- route neatly breather pipes. Then put everything back together again only to find the standard airbox flexi hose will not join to silicone inlet which is too long on that side. Try and bodge together a temp solution bu cutting flexi hose etc.

Go for a test drive an inlet is sucking itself shut at over 4k revs!!! To do: get correct silicone joiner hose with aluminium ring insert, extra jubilee clips on outside to keep shape and ditch std airbox in favour of CAIK!!!

ps have breakie in between!! lol

Last edited by rickya; 29 March 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 29 March 2012, 01:42 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

5 hrs for me because, remove:

Air box, Catch Can, Breather pipes, move 3 port hoses, Intercooler, Dump valve, Strut Brace, old turbo inlet.

A few stubborn bolts under inlet manifold that were in the way, these took a while to get to and move.

First fitting which involved several breather pipes on inlet to be trimmed and find and adjust bungs for this.

Second fitting and aftermarket silicone inlet is an inch too long as hose that recir dump valve fits into is inaccessible. Trim it short, refit and then spend almost an hour trying to get this hose from recir dump valve to fit into inlet hose. This fitting is under the inlet manifold with no room for manoeuvring.

Finally get it on and fit all breather bungs, jubilee clips. Re-rout some of the messy 3 port hoses, drain catch can & re- route neatly breather pipes. Then put everything back together again only to find the standard airbox flexi hose will not join to silicone inlet which is too long on that side. Try and bodge together a temp solution bu cutting flexi hose etc.

Go for a test drive an inlet is sucking itself shut at over 4k revs!!! To do: get correct silicone joiner hose with aluminium ring insert, extra jubilee clips on outside to keep shape and ditch std airbox in favour of CAIK!!!

ps have breakie in between!! lol

quality mate you must have the patient of a monastary to go through all that and then find the pipe collapsing when under boost .
Fair play to you for sticking at it, as i think i would have had my car on autotrader if i had to go through all that . which make of inlet hose was it ?
Old 12 April 2012, 06:44 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

How did you get on? Planning to fit mine myself after hearing it can take 2hrs if removing the inlet manifold...