Notices

Problems after fitting front mount cooler, filter and exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2012, 03:05 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after fitting front mount cooler, filter and exhaust.

Hi all, really need some advice please. My cars a uk my00 uk turbo 2000. Been driving the car as standard with no probs for around 4months. This week i have fitted a fronnt mount cooler, de cat exhaust and an induction kit. I drove it quick for a test drive and it drove fine, slightly fluctuating under boost which i put down to the bigger cooler. I cleaned the car, and took out again thenn all of a sudden it started spluttering under load as if the fueling has changed. Mechanically it all looks/sounds fine. It slightly fluctuates on idle too and just generally sounds rougher than it did. Any ideas? Thanks, aaron.
Old 14 March 2012, 03:09 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Has it been mapped for the mods you've carried out? It sounds like your MAF sensor needs replacing but if you've been driving it without having it mapped then you're lucky you've not blown the engine.
Old 14 March 2012, 03:17 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Definitely needs remap if you haven't already, just fitted a front mount and induction kit to mine and it doesn't like it much, I'm booked in with jgm to have my map tweaked for it though so I'm just trying not to drive it until then as I would advise for you to do also.
Old 14 March 2012, 03:26 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Ok many thanks so hopefully just the map will sort this then. Like i say it was just round the block for test drive and engine sounds fine. That was the original plan to fit these parts before the map but i assumed id be ok driving it as the boost pressure hadnt changed but what do i know lol good job i havent gon far in it.
Anyway as for remapping in the birmingham/west midlands area where do u guys recomend?? I was going to go to a place in tewkesbury but if theres somewhere close thtd be beter as im gna have to trailer it now obviously. Thanks
Old 14 March 2012, 03:44 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can get ECUtek on that car, no open source if I'm right. Best to get the likes of JollyGreenMonster or similar who do ECUtek to come out to you to map if. You don't need to take it anywhere when mappers travel
Old 14 March 2012, 03:47 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

You can also contact Duncan @ racedynamix top man.
Old 14 March 2012, 03:49 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

So whats that ecutek thing ur talking about? Cos ive looked into this before and all i could find out was that it needed to be mapped on rollers or something. A remap at home would be good though. But i was wanting a full tune/remap on rollers to have boost turned up as its running standard at the mo, thanks
Old 14 March 2012, 03:56 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaks-STI
You can also contact Duncan @ racedynamix top man.
Duncan can't do MY00 cars if I'm right because of the ECUtek thing. Otherwise I would have recommended him. Did a great job with my car

Originally Posted by aaron_ions
So whats that ecutek thing ur talking about? Cos ive looked into this before and all i could find out was that it needed to be mapped on rollers or something. A remap at home would be good though. But i was wanting a full tune/remap on rollers to have boost turned up as its running standard at the mo, thanks
ECUtek is a license to map your car. You buy the license and then pay for the mapping services. Normally all supplied in one go from an ECUtek mapper. You do not NEED to be mapped on the rollers to have boost etc turned up. This can all be done on the road on a good stretch of road where you can safely accelerate time and time again so the mapping can be done
Old 14 March 2012, 08:00 PM
trainer
Scooby Regular

Richard Bulmer at Tracktive Solutions there in Melton Rich is one of the top mappers in Europe you wont get much better than him
Old 14 March 2012, 08:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Any of the above, but get it mapped.

IF you haven't already done damage you'll be OK then.
Old 14 March 2012, 08:12 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I hope i aint damaged it how do i tell?... It sounds still mechanically fine no bad noises at at all other than running a bit lumpier and splutterier. So am i ok to actually run it on idle or not run it at all till its mapped.
Old 14 March 2012, 08:12 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

as in cleaned the car (water wash ect) poss water in the new intake filter, did you spray oil it before fitting it ??
on another note it really does need mapping but i reckon it's water causing the missfire as it only started after it was drowned,.
Old 15 March 2012, 09:26 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Is it correct that these ecus can 'reset/change' as ive read this in a few posts. Is this what could have possibly happened to mine as its sensed something different going on so has now started fuelling differently... Just trying to educate myself a little more on the subject.
Old 15 March 2012, 09:56 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Duncan can't do MY00 cars if I'm right because of the ECUtek thing. Otherwise I would have recommended him. Did a great job with my car

ECUtek is a license to map your car. You buy the license and then pay for the mapping services. Normally all supplied in one go from an ECUtek mapper. You do not NEED to be mapped on the rollers to have boost etc turned up. This can all be done on the road on a good stretch of road where you can safely accelerate time and time again so the mapping can be done
Erm, I hope he can , either that or I've been ripped off as he mapped my MY00 STi a few weeks ago! Top man too, and a top job. Would thoroughly recommend him.

Last edited by Bristol98; 15 March 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 18 March 2012, 09:23 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bristol98
Erm, I hope he can , either that or I've been ripped off as he mapped my MY00 STi a few weeks ago! Top man too, and a top job. Would thoroughly recommend him.
lol

Yep - can do 99/00 cars with ecutek now and also ecutek/racerom on later cars too
Old 18 March 2012, 12:11 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the MAF sensor changed before you pay for the ECUTEK software licence and get the car mapped, i think they are about £100??. The 99/2000 models are well known for them to fail. Mine did when i had the same age/model UK car. The idling fluctuating, lumpy and cutting out are all the symptoms.