Notices

my00 my99 detecting ecutek license & mapper.. possible DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2012, 12:58 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my00 my99 detecting ecutek license & mapper.. possible DIY

Regarding buying of 2nd hand ecu's E3 Y7 or similar...

Is there any way to detect an ecutek mapped my99 my00 ecu using a tactrix type cable and software?

I believe that mappers who have the proper ecutek flashing kit (is it called flash 99) can detect whether there is a license on there but what exactly are the possibilities here?

For example I read that if you dont know the mapper then it cant be easily remapped because it may have been locked. Can the likes of JGM BR etc get around this?

Furthermore assuming you somehow detect there is a lisence is there a way to detect who mapped it either by form of an electronic signature or simply by style of alterations? I guess this is simply for my own curiosity, if it were me I would add something unique just for fun

The reason I ask is because in the process of looking for a cheapo E3 stock ecu to replace my Y7 to experiment with its slightly different (supposedly better) stock tune, I have come accross 2 E3 ecus 1 claiming to be chipped (sellers term not technically correct i know) and the other remapped, one was £30 one was £40 neither knew who mapped them. If they are liars and they are stock then that may explain it.

Either way I cant lose because I am only really after a stock E3 anyway but an ecutek one may be of use in the future if I ever decide to mod the car, however if its locked to an unknown undetectable mapper then they are basically worthless bricks already see my point.

I have a working vagcom and a few bits of software including evoscan if it helps? Could I query a specific area of the ecu to tell perhaps boost or is there an easier way?
Old 09 March 2012, 07:50 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

When my MY99 STI was playing up an Ecutek mapper used his software to check what was going on 'live' as it were and was able to detect a failing lambda.

He was unable to access the map as it was locked (good as I trust the original mapper far more than him) but he could see the map was written by Paul @ Zen , on a certain date and that a P1 base map had been used.

Whether you could do this DIY I'm not sure but I know Ecutek do Deltadash software which may be able to read this sort of thing.
Old 09 March 2012, 09:18 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only way to tell is with flash99.

Its not locked as such just you can only write with the software not read so have to map it from scratch when mapped by another ecutek dealer.

Ecutek is pretty much the only way to reflash a 99 as far as I am aware

Simon
Old 09 March 2012, 10:20 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the great answers I am clear whats possible now.

I understand what you are saying Simon about flash 99 I have read a bit about it and thought that was the case.

Some very clever people around thats for sure I hope I can absorb 1% of it and I will be happy!

Thank you very much.