Notices

twin scroll turbo or not?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2012, 07:58 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin scroll turbo or not?

What do you think guys, should i get the twin scroll convertion done and then get the twin scroll billet turbo from scooby clinic or get the bolt on sc42/sc46 billet turbo? all i want is sooner spool,i am not after chaseing numbers because i know the twin is limit on bhp.well it all started after being in a mate hawkeye, even though the bhp was less then my scooby it seem alot faster with constant boost ! and i though i want this lol , i dont want to end up spending £1,500 to get the sc42/sc46 and still have the lag till around the 3.5k +rpm mark and wish i have done the convertion. my scooby is running at 340bhp JDM sti

cheers rob

Last edited by scoobyrob2002; 27 February 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 08:22 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a SC42 with a 20% meth map, Best of both worlds, Better spool and more power
Old 27 February 2012, 09:15 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

so it will spool as just as soon at the twin scroll? and what do you mean 20%meth map? does that mean i have to keep adding meth into the tank to get better spool? bit of a pain if it is

Last edited by scoobyrob2002; 27 February 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 09:27 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this... 04 UK sti blobeye VF35 to VF37, then forged 2.5 and sc46 twinscroll. I did it more to suit my style of driving. Im not mad about reving the nuts out of the engine and changing down a gear to overtake. Chasing numbers wasnt for me either and never will be......I cant advise for or against to be honest. I would of suggested trying both types of engine beforehand but it sounds like you know what a twinscroll is like,,, its all down to your personal preference.
Old 27 February 2012, 09:35 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyrob2002
20%meth map? does that mean i have to keep adding meth into the tank to get better spool? bit of a pain if it is
Once you get into it, its very simple and becomes the norm. Pull up at a shell garage and add one Jerry can of Meth (5 Litres) and 20 Litres of V power. Job done!

I use to keep 2 Jerry cans of Meth in the boot, and everytime I got to 1/4 tank of fuel I would complete the above task.

Or if you can judge your fuel stops better, you can always go with two cans of meth (10 Litres) and then fill up with 40 Litres of fuel, but to do this you need the Fuel light on pretty much prior to filling, otherwise you wont get all the fuel in and you will end up with a high % of meth mix, I would imagine a few % out would be fine though as it would just act as Octane booster.

Oh and its worth pointing out that you ideally need to add the meth first so the larger mass of fuel will mix when it meets intank. The latter method above requires more ***** imho as Shell garages near me are not "local", neither is Tesco and I hate/avoid running less than 1/4 tank!

Obviously you will need a map tweak to do the above, but then if your changing set up you would need a remap anyway.

Rob

ps - I havent had any experience of twin scroll turbos so cant comment, but I would imagine some decant headers/uppipe and various other tweaks will lower the spool of any turbo. I find that if you shift gear at the correct rpm you will always select the next gear above the lag to keep you in boost anyway
Old 27 February 2012, 10:16 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
I did this... 04 UK sti blobeye VF35 to VF37, then forged 2.5 and sc46 twinscroll. I did it more to suit my style of driving. Im not mad about reving the nuts out of the engine and changing down a gear to overtake. Chasing numbers wasnt for me either and never will be......I cant advise for or against to be honest. I would of suggested trying both types of engine beforehand but it sounds like you know what a twinscroll is like,,, its all down to your personal preference.

The only thing putting me off getting the twin scroll is that there equal length headers so you loss the scooby *burble* sound other wise i would get it done tomorrow so i am 50/50 still as the twin scroll seem so much more faster then a standerd turbo and you dont need to get meth just to get sooner spool

Last edited by scoobyrob2002; 27 February 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:20 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Once you get into it, its very simple and becomes the norm. Pull up at a shell garage and add one Jerry can of Meth (5 Litres) and 20 Litres of V power. Job done!

I use to keep 2 Jerry cans of Meth in the boot, and everytime I got to 1/4 tank of fuel I would complete the above task.

Or if you can judge your fuel stops better, you can always go with two cans of meth (10 Litres) and then fill up with 40 Litres of fuel, but to do this you need the Fuel light on pretty much prior to filling, otherwise you wont get all the fuel in and you will end up with a high % of meth mix, I would imagine a few % out would be fine though as it would just act as Octane booster.

Oh and its worth pointing out that you ideally need to add the meth first so the larger mass of fuel will mix when it meets intank. The latter method above requires more ***** imho as Shell garages near me are not "local", neither is Tesco and I hate/avoid running less than 1/4 tank!

Obviously you will need a map tweak to do the above, but then if your changing set up you would need a remap anyway.

Rob

ps - I havent had any experience of twin scroll turbos so cant comment, but I would imagine some decant headers/uppipe and various other tweaks will lower the spool of any turbo. I find that if you shift gear at the correct rpm you will always select the next gear above the lag to keep you in boost anyway

sounds like a right pain in the *** having to buy meth making sure you have enough and judding how much to use,just so you could get the same effects as a twin scroll
Old 27 February 2012, 10:46 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a right pain in the *** having to buy meth making sure you have enough and judding how much to use,just so you could get the same effects as a twin scroll
Not the same affect mate from what I gather, BUT for example in my case I as running 413/360 then went meth and got around 430/400.

So bucket loads of torque with slightly earlier spool and more power too

Food for thought, and in terms of filling your car its not hard or a pain, and for most that use it, It is definitely worth the useage. Oh did I forget to say it around 1/2 the cost of Petrol too

Rob
Old 28 February 2012, 12:52 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Have look too on MDX321T which spool great too on 2.0L STi

https://www.scoobynet.com/865046-new...-turbos-3.html

We are made 490bhp on V-power and 20% methanol and 452bhp on V-power

Jura
Old 28 February 2012, 07:00 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience, even the single scroll SC42 or SC46 are no less responsive than the VF series turbo you'll be replacing.
I have mapped a fair few of both on 2 litre, 2.1 and 2.5 engined cars and have never been disappointed with any of them.
Old 28 February 2012, 11:53 AM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Not the same affect mate from what I gather, BUT for example in my case I as running 413/360 then went meth and got around 430/400.

So bucket loads of torque with slightly earlier spool and more power too

Food for thought, and in terms of filling your car its not hard or a pain, and for most that use it, It is definitely worth the useage. Oh did I forget to say it around 1/2 the cost of Petrol too

Rob

Did i hear 1/2 cost of petrol ! lol i be looking into that lol we not got shell around here for like 15miles but we got a bp with bp unlimited
Old 28 February 2012, 11:57 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Not to mention the insurance. If you dont declare it to the insurance company, they will use it as an excuse to invalidate the insurance if you make a claim. That includes your home insurance too if you store it in the garage/shed...All that said though, I see no harm in using it if thats what you want to use.