Notices

MY99/00 SINGLE DIN STORAGE POCKET/CUBBY THINGY...???

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2012, 02:25 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation MY99/00 SINGLE DIN STORAGE POCKET/CUBBY THINGY...???

I'm prob. gonna replace my OEM-fit double DIN H.U. with a single DIN H.U. (with a 7" flip-up LED screen) soon.

This will leave me with a redundant single DIN aperture below the H.U.

Therefore, which is the best DIN pocket storage pocket/cubby thingy out of those listed below, to fit my MY99 STi 5 -- if any!?:-

subaru pocket

Cheers.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 February 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06 February 2012, 05:58 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Forester pocket but that was in a newage - think they should fit in a classic too

In mine I had to drill a few holes to fit it as it needed to be mounted to the brackets/plates. Not sure if that's applicable in a classic?
Old 06 February 2012, 06:36 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
...In mine I had to drill a few holes to fit it as it needed to be mounted to the brackets/plates...
Cheers Triple-S

Nothing too hard/ballachey though, I take it?
Old 06 February 2012, 07:35 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i just did the same thing joz,its up to you but im gonna go for a double din as single with a pocket is a pain in the ****!i have a 7" flip up and everytime i use it, i say"wish i bough a double din instead,it gets right in the way of the heater dial etc and would highly recommend fitting a decent double din,the pocket is ok but like i said im probably going to swap back to a good double din.it would be a better overall fit and nothing would get in the way of anything.
ps..
..check your sparkies while your there.
Old 07 February 2012, 12:40 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you buy the top mounted DIN unit, what they use for PSi3 and gauges, you can put a flip out screen in that. They come up for sale from time to time,. but are only 60 quid new from Subaru.
Old 07 February 2012, 04:31 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got two genuine Subaru storage thingy's here - the one with the damped flip up lid. Were used in the Newage when I replaced the double DIN stereo with a single DIN. (My son did the same when he had an STi) I then replaced it with the PSi3 unit.
In perfect unmarked condition. I've no idea if it will fit your facia but it's cheap if it does!

JohnD
Old 07 February 2012, 04:40 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
i just did the same thing joz,its up to you but im gonna go for a double din as single with a pocket is a pain in the ****!i have a 7" flip up and everytime i use it, i say"wish i bough a double din instead,it gets right in the way of the heater dial etc and would highly recommend fitting a decent double din,the pocket is ok but like i said im probably going to swap back to a good double din.it would be a better overall fit and nothing would get in the way of anything.
Yeah the heater controls issue isn't lost on me.

I'm worried though, that a double DIN won't fit properly - as you often hear on here that aftermarket ones have fitting issues/lots of butchering to the fascia needed, etc.(?)... Hence the single DIN flip-up option instead

Anyone know the maximum WxHxD that a double DIN H.U. should measure, so as to properly fit in the MY99/00 double DIN slot. If someone can defo say for sure, then I will indeed go double DIN route...

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2012, 04:46 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
If you buy the top mounted DIN unit, what they use for PSi3 and gauges, you can put a flip out screen in that. They come up for sale from time to time,. but are only 60 quid new from Subaru.
Awesome! That'd be even better for ergonomics i.e. keeping eyes on road when operating, as well. Plus, ease of viewing too!!

Thing is, how much of a ballache is it to extend the wiring/wire up - given the extra distance and stuff in the way?

Do you have to remove just the hinged lid, or the whole of that module - inc. the heater vents - to fit this top mounted DIN unit?
Old 07 February 2012, 08:21 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

joey, is this the pod you're on about:-

Subaru dash-top pod

(Obviously, this particular one looks a bit worse for wear though ).

Last edited by joz8968; 07 February 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07 February 2012, 10:44 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats it. But thats got the compass pack you get with foresters. Once that unit comes out, it should have a metal cage. But as mentioned, its still sold at dealers, and was 65 quid when I bought one last. I might have the part number on one of my posts still.

As for the wiring, a couple of these should do it, and make it a rversable option:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-EXTENS...item56456ed9e4
They are half that price fron China.

To fit, you have to remove the whole toip cubby, and hacksaw the heater vents off. Its easier than it sounds, and I have a PSi3 manual, that shows you how to do it. PM me your email and I'll send it over.
Old 08 February 2012, 05:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Cheers joey.

...As for the wiring, a couple of these should do it, and make it a reversable option:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-EXTENS...item56456ed9e4
They are half that price from China...
Good call re. the ISO extension harness!

Yeah, if you could send the manual.... And also the part number (if you have it) for the dash top pod thingy, then I'd be indebted (well, for a little while anyway lol).

Will PM email in a bit....

Last edited by joz8968; 08 February 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08 February 2012, 05:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
I've got two genuine Subaru storage thingy's here - the one with the damped flip up lid. Were used in the Newage when I replaced the double DIN stereo with a single DIN. (My son did the same when he had an STi) I then replaced it with the PSi3 unit.
In perfect unmarked condition. I've no idea if it will fit your facia but it's cheap if it does!

JohnD
Cheers John.

I'll defo keep you in mind (should I decide to going single DIN H.U. in the OEM double DIN aperture).
Old 09 February 2012, 12:57 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

joz, manual sent. It is easier than it looks. I bought a spare top cubby pod, incase I messed mine up, or wanted to go back to oe.

can't find the part number at all, so it might be worth giving subaru a ring.
But this is it, on a Yank site: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=826
Old 09 February 2012, 03:55 AM
cary2012
Scooby Newbie

I was ready to buy a double din dvd for my car,Is still under consideration,and I'm though that a double DIN fit or not properly
Old 09 February 2012, 09:54 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

joz, manual sent. It is easier than it looks. I bought a spare top cubby pod, incase I messed mine up, or wanted to go back to oe.

can't find the part number at all, so it might be worth giving subaru a ring.
But this is it, on a Yank site: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=826
Many thanks for the PDF - yeah it looks straightforward enough.

I too have another old pod lying around... I'll have to check it over to see if it's usable (can get 'em on eBay though.)

One Q: the cubby pod thing's DIN aperture looks relatively set back with respect to the cowling... Do you reckon the H.U.'s flip-out screen will motor forward enough to be able to clear the leading edge of the cowling when it goes upright?!

Last edited by joz8968; 09 February 2012 at 03:01 PM.