New age noob - petrol / remap questions

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 10:12 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New age noob - petrol / remap questions

Hi all,

Over the next few weeks I am looking to buy a bug eye (which is dependant on when the 172 cup sells). However as I have only owned a jdm classic before I want to check on a few things

A) petrol - do the bugs (uk) need to be run on super unleaded like my jdm classic did or are they fine with 95 RON?

B) remap - at what stage do you need to remap a bug to keep it safe? Would adding a cat back system need a remap?

Thanks

Pete
Old 25 January 2012, 10:20 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

its its a uk, 95 is ok, iirc
imports run super unleaded

remaps always bring best out of upgrades, but adding a exhaust will be fine with no remap
Old 25 January 2012, 10:28 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
its its a uk, 95 is ok, iirc
imports run super unleaded

remaps always bring best out of upgrades, but adding a exhaust will be fine with no remap
That's correct.

If you have a straight through decat and panel filter/cold air induction kit then you will need a remap.

Most people at this stage get it mapped to 99 super unleaded to get the most out of the car.
Old 26 January 2012, 07:26 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks for the replies
Old 26 January 2012, 07:42 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Any changes to do with the way the engine breathe's, fuels, and exhausts need mapping for really. Small modifications will be safe such as swapping out a oem air filter for a Green Cotton etc.

Generally speaking if you are considering a direction you are going to take the car in, then buy the parts you need until you have everything for one foul swoop of installation followed by an instant map.

Mapping varies from type and service, but expect anything from £250 > £550, and mapping tweaks from £80 >. So its best to get everything installed in one followed by remap.

I had a mate who fitted a Walbro and decat, mapped for it. Then installed a larger turbo a month later, mapped for it. Then installed larger injectors, CAI and 3 port, and again mapped for it another 3 weeks later more money than sense

You can pretty much map for any fuel (within reason), but obviously this has a knock on affect on the power output, and in some cases by quite a lot. I cant recall exact numbers, but on a WRX some years ago, 95Ron offered sub 300, where as 97RON offered 335+.

Rob
Old 26 January 2012, 08:42 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Any changes to do with the way the engine breathe's, fuels, and exhausts need mapping for really. Small modifications will be safe such as swapping out a oem air filter for a Green Cotton etc.

Generally speaking if you are considering a direction you are going to take the car in, then buy the parts you need until you have everything for one foul swoop of installation followed by an instant map.

Mapping varies from type and service, but expect anything from £250 > £550, and mapping tweaks from £80 >. So its best to get everything installed in one followed by remap.

I had a mate who fitted a Walbro and decat, mapped for it. Then installed a larger turbo a month later, mapped for it. Then installed larger injectors, CAI and 3 port, and again mapped for it another 3 weeks later more money than sense

You can pretty much map for any fuel (within reason), but obviously this has a knock on affect on the power output, and in some cases by quite a lot. I cant recall exact numbers, but on a WRX some years ago, 95Ron offered sub 300, where as 97RON offered 335+.

Rob
I am looking to possibly change the exhaust at some point (assuming it was an OE exhaust - i havent bought a scoob yet) but not planning on doing much more than that really, pretty much keep it as it is and enjoy it.

However if i was to buy one with a few bits already done i wanted to understand if this type of thing needed to be remapped in order to keep it safe.

Its also nice to know that i could run it on 95RON in standard form.
Old 26 January 2012, 01:01 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

personally i would never put anything less than 99RON in my scoob, even before it was mapped.
It even says 98RON+ only on the petrol flap.
Old 26 January 2012, 01:21 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
personally i would never put anything less than 99RON in my scoob, even before it was mapped.
I didnt know that, cheers for that
Old 26 January 2012, 03:57 PM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

Agreed, i only put super unleaded (Tescos99) in my bug and it was mapped for that, there have been occassions where i have had to put 97 in it but stayed off the throttle a bit.
Old 26 January 2012, 04:28 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DonNedly
Originally Posted by fingerscooby
Agreed, i only put super unleaded (Tescos99) in my bug and it was mapped for that, there have been occassions where i have had to put 97 in it but stayed off the throttle a bit.
The point I was making is you can map the 'said' car to suit the fuel you want to use, ie 95 RON, im not saying put any RON fuel in a car that has been mapped for other specific higher RON.

Take America for example, if you were to emigrate out there and wanted to take your car with you, you would be forced to remap due to the low octane content in their fuels, 93RON rings a bell.

Also plenty folk on here, myself included have run on cars on dual maps, one for 95RON and one at 99RON.

And for what its worth my last car was mapped for 99RON with 20% meth, and the other map at 95RON

So for the OP the answer is yes you can run the car on 95RON, and on a newage car you can usually have two maps if that help, whereby you can simply toggle between the two depending on the fuel and cause.

Rob

Rob