Hi all Im new and could do with some good advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2012, 05:43 PM
scoobynewbie2012
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all Im new and could do with some good advice plz

Hi Peeps.
av Bought me first 95 import impreza wrx with 98,000 km on.
Had it a month and had to change

Discs and pads all way round
4 new tyres
new battery
cambelt and tensioners
crankshaft pulley
woodruf key
Two weeks ago heaters started blowing cold for longer than normal in a morning, then one day on the way home it started overheating.
There was no water/coolant in the header thank so i filled it up via instructions from haynes manual and burped it accordingly, heaters went back to normal and car did not overheat until today!!
Tried filling header tank again but it hardly took anything to fill and it still overheats.....Do you think its more than likey the headgasket??? All Constructive opinions would be appreciated. much thanks

Oh and if it all does go **** up am planning on having a rebuild so all opinions on what spec to have to run about 320 bhp safely would also be appreciated. Thanks Jack

Last edited by scoobynewbie2012; 22 January 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Did my head in after about half-way.

Needs paragraphs and proper English unless you want only replies from the "new" owners
??
Old 22 January 2012, 06:13 PM
scoobynewbie2012
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
Did my head in after about half-way.

Needs paragraphs and proper English unless you want only replies from the "new" owners
??

lol sound mate i knew it was a bit long winded!! ill be back with a new post....nice one
Old 22 January 2012, 06:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK My reply wasn't meant to drive you away.

Cut to the chase: what's wrong now and what do you need help with?
And has it been mapped? THAT is VERY important for a Scoob engine.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:24 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome to the scooby scene. Sorry to hear you have had few issues with your scoob. From what you describe in regards to you losing coolent and at times seeing steam. i would think you must likely have:
- damaged water hose
- hole in your Rad or crack on the rad end
- possible cracked pipe in your water header tank.

To check if you definatly have head gaskit issue. i would check to see the state off the oil and see what state it is in. if all looks fine then i would go on looking for a water leak.

I have had water leaks on my old WRX. Where i had to replace the radiator which cost me around £70 and i fitted this myself. Then pipe under the water expansion tank had cracked due to age and wear. so i replaced with with a steel one from a newer scoob. i beleive Version 3 onwards have metal header tank. Then i also managed to get water leak on the water pipes on the idle control valve. Again this i fixed myself with some bondo type stuff.

The other option is if you dont want to do the above is take it to the clinc and get them to dianose the problem. hope that helps.

Cheers
Old 22 January 2012, 06:25 PM
scoobynewbie2012
Scooby Newbie

lol its cool mate av changed it now...Yes i believe its been mapped at area 52 i think in kirkby but the info on the map i donot know im affraid... am still waiting on all paperwork its all been a right **** ache to be honest
Old 22 January 2012, 06:29 PM
scoobynewbie2012
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by djquest
Hi and welcome to the scooby scene. Sorry to hear you have had few issues with your scoob. From what you describe in regards to you losing coolent and at times seeing steam. i would think you must likely have:
- damaged water hose
- hole in your Rad or crack on the rad end
- possible cracked pipe in your water header tank.

To check if you definatly have head gaskit issue. i would check to see the state off the oil and see what state it is in. if all looks fine then i would go on looking for a water leak.

I have had water leaks on my old WRX. Where i had to replace the radiator which cost me around £70 and i fitted this myself. Then pipe under the water expansion tank had cracked due to age and wear. so i replaced with with a steel one from a newer scoob. i beleive Version 3 onwards have metal header tank. Then i also managed to get water leak on the water pipes on the idle control valve. Again this i fixed myself with some bondo type stuff.

The other option is if you dont want to do the above is take it to the clinc and get them to dianose the problem. hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply mate....im glad to see theres lots of other inexpensive possibilities it could be as i only paid 1600 quid for it and ive spent nearly the same on it already lol...maybe i was a little naive believing i could buy a mechanically sound wrx for pence but thanks for that i will more than likely ring the scooby clinic with lubrication at the ready preparing for the worst
Old 22 January 2012, 06:33 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

also if you are planning on a rebuild. it be cheaper option for you to buy a used newage sti bottom end and stick your existing heads on it and have it installed. sti newage blocks are very strong for a standard block
Old 22 January 2012, 06:41 PM
scoobynewbie2012
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by djquest
also if you are planning on a rebuild. it be cheaper option for you to buy a used newage sti bottom end and stick your existing heads on it and have it installed. sti newage blocks are very strong for a standard block
Brill mate. thanks a lot for the help i may be back for more info on that depending on what the issues are with this....hopefully nothing major.

Gonna check the oil tommorow first thing and if thats ok then its on too looking for a water leak somewhere.

Ill post back Once i know more, again thanks a lot.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:42 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

nw and good luck