Notices

restrictor pill , help !

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2012, 10:37 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face restrictor pill , help !

hello all , ok so earlier today i was determined to get to the bottom of why my boost guage has stopped working ? so i checked all the pipework for splits etc and checked all wiring for visible damage and all was good for some reason i wanted to check the silicone hose that t's off the boost solenoid to turbo actuator so i removed it and inside was a small plastic bit which i believe is called a restrictor pill ? i took it out the pipe to check it out as i couldnt think why it would be in there ? anyway to take it out i had to cut the pipe , so i replaced it with a new one and put the restrictor back in but couldnt remember where abouts it goes in the pipe ?? ive put it right next to the "t" piece . now my car feels more responsive at low revs but on full chat lacks the boost ? in 5th gear at 90mph i put my foot down and it doesnt pull ? the the boost kind of surges high and low , is the restrictor pill meant to be fitted further up the pipe nearer the turbo ?
thank you for any help guys

Dave

Last edited by initialD; 12 January 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 13 January 2012, 08:32 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

VF35? If so mate very common .
Old 13 January 2012, 09:17 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by initialD
hello all , ok so earlier today i was determined to get to the bottom of why my boost guage has stopped working ? so i checked all the pipework for splits etc and checked all wiring for visible damage and all was good for some reason i wanted to check the silicone hose that t's off the boost solenoid to turbo actuator so i removed it and inside was a small plastic bit which i believe is called a restrictor pill ? i took it out the pipe to check it out as i couldnt think why it would be in there ? anyway to take it out i had to cut the pipe , so i replaced it with a new one and put the restrictor back in but couldnt remember where abouts it goes in the pipe ?? ive put it right next to the "t" piece . now my car feels more responsive at low revs but on full chat lacks the boost ? in 5th gear at 90mph i put my foot down and it doesnt pull ? the the boost kind of surges high and low , is the restrictor pill meant to be fitted further up the pipe nearer the turbo ?
thank you for any help guys

Dave
I'm sorry, i've read this about 3 times now and still cant believe you've posted it.

So you actually cut the pipe to get the restrictor pill out, without making note of where it was installed and now you wonder why it runs differently? Do you know anything about turbo engines/imprezas etc or do you just start cutting stuff?

If you do ever come to sell your car i'd pray its not to a member on here as you're leaving a trail of threads that arent making you look very clever. Proberbly why this thread has had so many views and so little replies.
Old 13 January 2012, 09:22 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Old 13 January 2012, 03:05 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
I'm sorry, i've read this about 3 times now and still cant believe you've posted it.

So you actually cut the pipe to get the restrictor pill out, without making note of where it was installed and now you wonder why it runs differently? Do you know anything about turbo engines/imprezas etc or do you just start cutting stuff?

If you do ever come to sell your car i'd pray its not to a member on here as you're leaving a trail of threads that arent making you look very clever. Proberbly why this thread has had so many views and so little replies.

cheers for the help hamster thought it may be the reason my boost guage is not working ? no , i dont know much about impreza engines or turbocharged engines we are not all born a know it all like yourself . thing is now ive done this and found out exactly what it does first hand ive learnt something new about my engine from trial and error as many others do ! bet theres thousands out there that dont even know what a restrictor pill is ? let alone what it does ? in years to come ill know more about engines like you do now ? but at the moment im still learning , so dont make come across stupid just cos im not scared of getting my hands dirty and having a dabble in "my" engine bay !
Old 13 January 2012, 03:09 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

hia pal since youve started at one end of the pipe best bet is to move it slightly each time untill it feels right again, youl find itl be somewhere nearer half way
Old 13 January 2012, 03:29 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Is this any help?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2218100
Old 13 January 2012, 04:32 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

thans guys does it make much difference where the pill goes in the pipe ? at the moment ive put it just over half way closer to the turbo . it feels alot better now but boost at high revs still a bit on - off ? it seems to boost then slow then boost again and just doesnt seem to pull as much as it did
any ideas as why ? thanyou for the help
Old 13 January 2012, 04:32 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
VF35? If so mate very common .

vf34 mate
ive heard they can suffer boost creep ? but its not that old and tfs sourced it for me , so should be a decent turbo

Last edited by initialD; 13 January 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 13 January 2012, 04:36 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by initialD
thans guys does it make much difference where the pill goes in the pipe ? at the moment ive put it just over half way closer to the turbo . it feels alot better now but boost at high revs still a bit on - off ? it seems to boost then slow then boost again and just doesnt seem to pull as much as it did
any ideas as why ? thanyou for the help
Does the pill move in the pipe?
Old 13 January 2012, 04:40 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

dont think so ill check it tomorrow after driving it more but i think its got a good grip ? also do you think the length of the pipe makes a difference or not ?
Old 14 January 2012, 12:16 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Silly question but isn't the TD04 got a different restrictor pill to say a VF34 or VF35?

If so, I may have one at home mate.

Steve
Old 14 January 2012, 12:24 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

hmmn i think so but api did the engine build and replaced the pipe with a silicone one so they would of put the correct pill in i would imagine ? to be fair mate im not sure if its this lovely cold air ? but my car boosts lovely now its like its running nitrous it feels quite a bit quicker actually !! it scarred me earlier havnt tried 4th 5th on boost yet so hope all is good ? cheers though mate