Notices

Advise on turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2012, 06:34 PM
Mickkee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on turbo upgrade

Ok.. after owning my 2000 classic WRX for 10 years ive final decided to change my turbo!! Ive bought a TD05 with a upswept air intake with 90 degree elbo to convert the oil breathers and airfilter etc rather than converted it to a streight out let!! So yesturday i final put it in.. Not easy.. 7 hours later with nearly every pipe changed!! What i would like to no if anyone has heard of doing it this way..and if they have did they go to the extreme measures of having to cut the fuel vacum of the inlet and block it off etc have picture if wanted?? The car runs buity full now.. boost lovely etc but except for remamping which is booked in next week is there anything else ive maybe missed or would advise adding or doing before the re map??

Cheers
Mickkee
Old 10 January 2012, 07:32 PM
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping to put either a TD05 or a VF35 in my 97 Turbo 2000, have never heard of it being quite that tough a job, 7 hours to change a turbo does seem a bit extreme! I did think maybe it would be cheaper to leave the top entry housing on it and just get a few bits of silicone hose to fit it, but if it was that much of a nightmare I might just get the FE housing for £60!

Got a few mods I'm planning to do to support my turbo change, uprated fuel pump and injectors being the main bits going for a 255lph Walbro and yellow 440s, but I think you'll already have the right injectors in yours anyway? Obviously you want to make sure you've got uprated discs and pads and good rubber on as well, and try not to drive it on boost too much before getting it mapped!
Old 10 January 2012, 08:40 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Md321T have one for sale in the sale section

Steve
Old 11 January 2012, 11:24 AM
Mickkee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Guest
I'm hoping to put either a TD05 or a VF35 in my 97 Turbo 2000, have never heard of it being quite that tough a job, 7 hours to change a turbo does seem a bit extreme! I did think maybe it would be cheaper to leave the top entry housing on it and just get a few bits of silicone hose to fit it, but if it was that much of a nightmare I might just get the FE housing for £60!

Got a few mods I'm planning to do to support my turbo change, uprated fuel pump and injectors being the main bits going for a 255lph Walbro and yellow 440s, but I think you'll already have the right injectors in yours anyway? Obviously you want to make sure you've got uprated discs and pads and good rubber on as well, and try not to drive it on boost too much before getting it mapped!
Defently the cheaper option I done but would never recommend it to anyone!! It's wasn't macanics!! It was engineering lol!

My injectors and fuel pump is standard!! Have a twin flow decat down pipe with 5 inch strengt threw and air filter and dump valvel!! Rest is standard! Personally I've been in a Subaru with a vf35 and don't think they as good as a td05 if ya want to run abt 330- 350 but that is just my personal opion.. The guy who does my maps recommended me vf35 so it's jus down to personal choice I think!!

Defently breaks as u say are needed.. Saving up for a big break kit and ya had abt half an play yesturday on boost to test it all but got to drive the car slow now till next week till get remapped!! If I don't blow it up before hand lol

As I had to cut and block my fuel vacuum of the inlet manifold could some recommend the best way to permantly block this hole rather than the gasket sealer I have over it now :/ ??

Cheers
Mickkkee
Old 10 March 2012, 07:08 PM
skubinis
Scooby Newbie

Default turbo

hi is md321t still available?