subaru confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2012, 09:26 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question subaru confusion!

hi.

i have posted a few posts relating to my sccoby wagon wrx turbo 97 plate, had a few replies so far thanks.
1, does anyone know if a 97 plate has a obd diagnostic socket or just wires to connect to see if any errors are apparent?

problem is this, does anyone have or come across it, its all relating to the maf sensor but uncertain as not changed it as yet but did check pin connections where circuit board is and resolder in case this was it, but clearly not.

the car when driving, seems like a miss/jerk/sometimes as and when driving or when accelerating, othertimes times drives just fine, thought first was brake binding, that kind of feeling when you drive its like a holding back now and then!, brakes are all fine as rolls back on hill!

changed so far plugs, leads, checked maf pins only, leaves me thinking now the coil, or maf unit, the car idles perfectly fine and pulls fine, just that annoying feeling at certain speeds or now and then, like you are going to run out or low of petrol or brake binding on/off feeling!

does anyone know, or if the maf goes wrong is it circuit board related ,component issue rather than connection issue?, if its not coil/maf/leads/plugs then is it the fuel pump now wondering that!

all help appreciated, sorry to go on and on loads of posts but driving me nuts!
Old 05 January 2012, 09:39 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

lol i misread the post and thought it said subaru confession, i thought wtf is he on about confession, what'd e do? lol
Old 05 January 2012, 10:44 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Bad coil packs around that era I think
Old 06 January 2012, 05:11 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

if its got a facelift dash it will have an obd socket, pretty certain yours wont with it being an import. best get the wires connected under the dash to find the problem
Old 06 January 2012, 09:16 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Default reply

ok thanks.

having trouble finding the wires black and green as previous posts show colours etc! cant find them any ideas please on a more exact location?

thanks.
Old 06 January 2012, 09:51 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

the connectorss are black and green !! see here

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...eadingECUCodes

they are to the right of the steering column, near where the plastic edge of the dash ends/begins - you may need to get yr head down on the floor and look up !!

also - u could try cleaning the MAF

Last edited by albob; 06 January 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07 January 2012, 01:52 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Default reply

found the connections for the engine check light issue checking as previous post.

strange tho, i have connected them up green to green black to black, turned on ignition and you hear norm boost control valve clicking, fuel pump going on/off as it should, but engine check light stays on, no flashing etc, turn off ignition and start engine and its not on, is this a sign all is ok as thought by wire connecting in pairs engine check light should flash on/off pulsing to show no errors? it does not do this, stays on perm until you turn off ignition and start engine ,so not sure if its got any errors at all?
anyone know please?

subaru classic 97 wrx wagon turbo!
Old 07 January 2012, 03:19 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Sounds awfully like the maf m8 - tickover ok ? it knocks the fueling all over the place - spray electrical contact cleaner onto the maf blade and see if that cures it

iain.
Old 07 January 2012, 03:33 PM
10bats
Scooby Regular

black plugs only to read faults.
Old 07 January 2012, 06:22 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Default reply

hi ian.

yes tried the contact cleaner trick already mate, not sure if it cured it or not as if it did its back doing same thing.

i am thinking its the maf, someone else said its the pins from the molex plug going into the maf too! tried this opened it and see the pins sit ontop so i have soldered them on, so no bad connections here! common fault too was told..
Old 07 January 2012, 06:25 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Default reply

hi 10bats.

black plugs only?

i found out that you need to drive the car with the green and black all connected then the engine light will illuminate or pulse, which it did showing every second pulse as no faults in the ecu, good sign! it resets it too apparently, unless the black plug only trick is a new one? can you advise on this.
thanks.
Old 07 January 2012, 07:36 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

the scoobypedia page on checking for faults do'es say black plug only!!
Old 07 January 2012, 08:44 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Default reply

SO I NEED JUST TO CONNECT THE BLACK PLUGS THEN TURN ON IGNITION THEN WHAT DRIVE IT AGAIN AND SEE WHAT I GET THIS TIME? AS I CONNECTED THE GREEN AND BLACK AND THEN DROVE CAR LAST TIME ROUND!
THANKS.
Old 07 January 2012, 08:47 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

have you tried resetting?..mine wouldnt start from cold i thot the sensor but i reset usin green and black connectors and it was fine after that..must of cleared never been an issue since...that was a year ago
Old 07 January 2012, 10:23 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stu76
SO I NEED JUST TO CONNECT THE BLACK PLUGS THEN TURN ON IGNITION THEN WHAT DRIVE IT AGAIN AND SEE WHAT I GET THIS TIME? AS I CONNECTED THE GREEN AND BLACK AND THEN DROVE CAR LAST TIME ROUND!
THANKS.
Yep - by connecting both connectors u have cleared any fault codes stored in the ECU (not a bad thing - some may have been on there for YEARS ! ) -- so drive around for a while (plugs UNCONNECTED), park up connect black connector and read flashes..