Notices

Block & pistons recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2011, 10:16 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block & pistons recommendations?

Hi guys,
I want more power, and I enjoy building myself a nice shiny new engine so I've been thinking about building one for the Scooby.
It's a 96 uk turbo, but I've been offered a decent open deck block very cheap & thought buying this would mean I could build it while using the car as my engine is good.
Now the open deck block should be fine for around 350-400bhp right?
I was thinking of using that block, maybe JE .5mm oversize pistons & eagle or cosworth rods with a decent standard crank & ACL bearings & ARP studs.
I'll be aiming for about 350bhp, but I'd like the engine to be able to take a bit more for the sake of reliability.
What do you all think of this spec? I've searched on here & this seems a pretty good base engine, but I'd be interested to hear from people who have run these parts & can give true opinions.
Anywhere in particular you'd recommend to buy the parts? JE pistons can be had for 400 delivered on eBay.. Seems very cheap to me?
Thanks in advance for any replies & advice
James
Old 26 November 2011, 11:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The open deck blocks good (easily) for that power level, but your base isnt any good.
You could start with any of the above pistons/rods, a new crank and bearings, bigger injectors and turbo, a nice new ecu to run it all and then your stuffed again as your gearbox/clutch/brakes aint up to it.... (and trust me they wont be), so your going to have to replace all that, then your suspension is old and creaky, that'll need replacing... by the time you have done all this you may have well have purchased a newage STI which will happily run 400bhp.

Tony
Old 27 November 2011, 12:03 AM
James N
Scooby Regular

That's true, although the gearbox/clutch shouldn't be an issue as hopefully I've sorted a 6spd conversion for it.
Brakes were also on the list of things to do..!
Youre right of course, I could go & buy a newage, but I really don't want too! I thought my classic with a bit more power would be excellent.
The shell is mint, and to be honest I'd like to keep the car even if it isn't really cost effective, I did similar with my Skyline & Evo, I know it may technically be a waste of money but I don't know what I'd replace the car with! I'd have to go back to an Evo & then I'd be in the same boat as I only really like the IV,V & VI!
I do understand what you're saying mate, but to me the fun is as much in the building the car as it is driving it!
What would you suggest? (Not having a go, you may have a more cost effective & fun idea!)
Id be happy with 300-350bhp, and it would be done over a period of time with brakes & suspension being looked at first
James
Old 27 November 2011, 07:24 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

If you're forging the engine, hang on for at least a semi-closed deck block and I'd get a stroker kit as well to take it to 2.1 - won't cost significantly more and will be good for a hell of a lot more power if you ever decided to go that way.

All the components listed sound good but have you considered WMS rods (far cheaper). Also you could go for the Nitrided crank if you want that bit extra. I'd also replace the oil pump, water pump, cam belt tensioner, uprated head gaskets, uprated head studs (11mm) and oil modine as well - soon starts to stack up!
Old 27 November 2011, 03:55 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

Nver actually heard of WMS rods to be honest, are they pretty good then? Where would i find some?
I may go for a semi closed deck block, although it seems like it my be a waste of money to go for closed or semi closed when an open deck will do what i need just as well, & been offered an open deck block with crank & pistons, although with a slight knock, for £75.
If i were to find a semi closed or closed deck block for good money then i'd use it.
In terms of replacing oil/water pumps etc, the only reason i didn't list all that is because i consider that a matter of course with any engine build.
James
Old 30 November 2011, 05:24 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

WMS - Andy Williams Motorsport - have a search on here for him or eBay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wms-deals4u?_rdc=1
Old 30 November 2011, 06:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't see where you have mentioned a crank, but I'd go for a later one, the early cranks aren't that strong.

Have you thought of going 2.5 litre, since you are going 6-speed? Plus the crank would then not need changing

Yes, they do need forging, but the extra torque is easily gained and VERY usable.........