Notices

Top Metal heater pipe failure.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2011, 11:48 AM
Scott D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Metal heater pipe failure.

Hi folks, got a MY00 (Last of the classics) 2.0l Sport Wagon as the factory intended/no mods. It's got 147k on the clock.

Last night after short drive it dumped all it's coolant. A quick check in the dark revealed the top of the radiator where it's crimped has let go in the middle. Great I thought. So set about to strip it this morning and just for pace of mind I filled it and started it to confirm it was the radiator (as it was dark when I checked last night). Sure enough water spurting out through the top.

I went underneath and removed the tray only to find water running off the back of the block next to the heads. My heart sank!! Further investigation though revealed it's leaking at the underside of the top metal heater pipe. The one that's bolted on with a single M6 bolt under the inlet manifold. I've removed the bolt and it's still solid, what's holding it? Is it gasketed or are there 'o' rings sealing it?

Is this pipe a common failure?

Thanks
Scott D

Last edited by Scott D; 30 November 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 30 November 2011, 06:39 PM
Scott D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok for reference purposes. Car's stripped now top pipe is holed as is the one under it which feeds from the waterpump. The top steel pipe is not availble on it's own from Subaru!! Oly comes with the alloy pipe which comes across under the inlet manifold and it's about £270 plus vat!! Got one from a breakers, it's impossibly tight in the new oso replacing the whole thing.

Unbolted the inlet and swung it backwards to do the job. Remove power steering pipes from pump/resevoir. Remove fuel pipe from filter (top one only). Remove pipes from carbon canister. Remove air box completely. Disconnect plug leads at coilpack and unclip. Remove throttle cable for access. Disconnect all the plugs you can see on the block down the back of the alternator and also the knock sensor and the cam sensor. Then undo the manifold and tilt backwards. I used a screwdriver to hold it up placed between the manifold and the back of the alternator.

Hope this helps someone else.