Notices

Remap for economy?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2011, 10:51 PM
viio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap for economy?

Is it possible to remap a car to be more economical? Not necessarily a subaru, but wondering if it's do-able.

Or... could a WRX STI be remapped to run on regular unleaded for example?
Old 25 November 2011, 12:29 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Yes a WRX sti could be mapped for whatever fuel you want.

I personally found that after a remap i gained MPG as it basically optimized that map. Meaning that i needed less throttle to get the car to XXmph
Old 25 November 2011, 01:22 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viio
Is it possible to remap a car to be more economical? Not necessarily a subaru, but wondering if it's do-able.

Or... could a WRX STI be remapped to run on regular unleaded for example?
I have spent a lot of time on my own cars playing with economy and difference fuels.

I actually found no benefit from running on 95ron. As due to the reduction in power even at low boost levels I found monitoring logs that I used more throttle to get to my cruise speed without conciously know and mpg suffered as a result. I guess if you drove exceptionally gently then this issue maybe reduced but in what was for me normal driving it worked out the same using super unleaded to 95ron cost wise but I had a quicker car when going for it.

I have only recently stopped using my 600bhp 03 sti as my daily driver and was seeing around 300miles to a tank, it Has seen 340miles but I cant drive that saintly very often.

I always try and clean up the cruise fuelling and by custom mapping you should gain mpg wise.

Plus it is also possible to load a twin boost map so you can have high boost fully power and low boost economy mode at the push of a button.

Simon
Old 25 November 2011, 01:29 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i seen improved mpg after my car was mapped(370bhp) if driven in the correct manner , also i think the better mpg was seen on the meth map(duel map , v power and v power + meth) i might be wrong but this was calculated over a long distance. i.e. when it was mapped for meth
Old 25 November 2011, 05:56 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

I have seen very good fuel economy by turning off closed loop lambda and leaning out my AFR's to 15.2 through the gears (below 1000mbar) then 16 at motorway cruise speeds with ignition at 42*.

I tried to see how lean I could go but at 16.2 I started to get a misfire so I settled for 16.

I can now get just under 700km to the tank but I am using 100ron 10% ethonol if it makes a differnce.

When looking into lean cruise I read that some cars especially Hondas can be as lean as 22>1 at cruise!!!!!

Last edited by petedotuk; 25 November 2011 at 05:57 AM.