dooda
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitos oxide

Hi all,

Can you put nos on a scoob ?

if so whats the gains?

whats the possible damage?

my engine is pretty well built and is running 447 bhp, will it f*ck it ?

Just read on the internet that there is possible gains of 150 bhp ?

Has any one done this to there classic, apparently you have to spray it in you inter cooler?
Old 04 November 2011, 09:36 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Fitted it to a bike once - damn near killed me
Old 04 November 2011, 11:52 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Mate its not like fast and furious where u bolt on the kit and yr good 2 go. if you want to use it effectivly you definately need a map that will compensate for it. Also its better to tune the engine properly.

example. your car is at 500bhp. with the nos it goes up to 650bhp.

if u tuned the car properly with injectors etc you could reach the 650bhp. now before people start saying just add nos to that remeber that every engine has its limit.

say the max amount you could squeeze is 1000bhp that doesn't mean you could add nos to it. so its either 1000bhp alone or 800bhp with a 200bhp nos kit.

Not sure if I explained that properly lol. I have a mate who is a mapper and he was trying to talk this next guy out of getting nos and was explaining it all.
Old 04 November 2011, 11:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its cheaper just to buy a bigger turbo/injectors and get it mapped if you have a built engine, nos doesnt really do much on a turbocharged car tbh, far too much hassle and you run out in no time.

Tony
Old 05 November 2011, 12:00 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice, this is my specs, will my engine take it ?

Closed deck block
New under piston oil squirters
Wiseco 92.5mm forged pistons
Manley forged H beam rods
STI V3 heads polished and ported
3 angle valve seats
Supertach valve stem oil seals
Brand new API supplied genuine subaru V4 STi crankshaft
ARP head bolts and rod bolts
Cometic 1.3mm head gaskets
ACL race spec big end and main bearings
RCM modified oil pump
740cc injectors
Parallel fuel rail conversion using stainless steel braided hoses
Sard FPR
Forge dump valve
MD321T turbo with custom 3" intake and air filter
RCM headers, heat wrapped
Harveys special up-pipe, heat wrapped
HKS 3" bell mouthed decat downpipe
HKS silent hi power 3" exhaust system and backbox
Autobahn88 FMIC with custom candy red pipework
Magnecor 8.5mm HT Leads
Mocom Racing oil catch can
Underdrive pulleys
Blue autobahn 88 silicone hose kit (coolant)
PPG straight cut gearbox in a P1 housing with kazz plated front diff
Exedy API clutch and API lightened flywheel
P1 rear diff and drive shafts
Redline shock proof gear oil
whiteline drop links
pink powder coated anti roll bar
cusco front H brace
STI carbon fibre strut brace
Hard race uprated engine mounts and transmission mounts including the dog bone gearbox mount
MAC 3 port boost solenoid
NGK PFR7B with gap down to .65mm
Silkolene Pro S 10w50 oil
Bilstein prodrive suspension.
Rota torque alloys with TOYO T1R tyres.
Autronic SM4 ecu with antilag (off) and launch control (on) (removes the MAF)
Car mapped by B Rawle
D2 8 piston braked calipers and 330mm discs
STI V6 carbon fibre rear spoiler
PIAA wipers
STi ally bonnet (much lighter than uk steel version)
Jap spec water bottle
RCM carbon bonnet vent
Guages & pod - boost, water, oil
Old 05 November 2011, 12:05 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You won't get 150 bhp, but 100 bhp kit and a progressive controller is possible, expect a bill for around £2K though.

If your ecu can control the NOS kit, then bigger injectors are needed. You can either use the nitrous to help spool the turbo up, or add top end power, the former for trackwork, the later for the dragstrip.

You will consume around 5lbs of nitrous per 100 bhp per minute, so an 11lb bottle gives you a days drag racing. In theory you might get 150 bhp extra, but the engine could die if it isn't set-up properly by someone who knows what they are doing.

Huge figures tend to come from the US of A where huge motors make few bhp as std.

Have a look over at "The wizards of NOS".... Google is your friend.

Once I have an ecu sorted I fancy a play myself.

HTH

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 05 November 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05 November 2011, 12:09 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cheaper to get AVCS on your engine

Tony
Old 05 November 2011, 12:19 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I have it, but still like to play...
Old 05 November 2011, 01:44 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
nos doesnt really do much on a turbocharged car tbh,

Tony

If you really think that then you dont understand forced induction tuning at all.
Nitrous Oxide has been used for decades now for forced induction cars aswell as NASP cars and has many benefits. Being able to offset a larger turbo by getting the Nitrous in early to help spool it up, putting it in late to keep the powerband longer on smaller turbos and or standard cams, the charge temp benefits alone are staggering. Had you have watched an intercooler pipe when Nitrous is being fired into it, you'd know what I mean, it practically freezes right infront of your eyes.
I had a recent example of how effective even the simplest of forms of Nitrous can be when an owner dropped off a car for tuning, it was fitted with a DEI cryo kit inc intercooler spray bar and the bottle was filled with Nitrous.
Running the car a few times for base settings 377bhp was achieved from the mans set up. Switching on the cryo kit gained 15hp and slightly more torque throughout the rev range. Denser air, bigger bang and no additional timing reqd, just pure gains from the kit. Bare in mind also that the owners car was already fitted with an effecient front mounted intercooler.

My own Prostreet Drag car is undergoing it's build for next season now and Nitrous will be featuring heavily on the car in at least one capacity.

Martyn

P.S What you may have meant to say is, that Nitrous isn't cost effective for use on a daily basis and that a larger turbo may be a better way to spend the money
Old 05 November 2011, 09:53 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Nitrous Pete

TX.
Old 05 November 2011, 10:20 AM
A.D.Edmundson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ

If you really think that then you dont understand forced induction tuning at all.
Nitrous Oxide has been used for decades now for forced induction cars aswell as NASP cars and has many benefits. Being able to offset a larger turbo by getting the Nitrous in early to help spool it up, putting it in late to keep the powerband longer on smaller turbos and or standard cams, the charge temp benefits alone are staggering. Had you have watched an intercooler pipe when Nitrous is being fired into it, you'd know what I mean, it practically freezes right infront of your eyes.
I had a recent example of how effective even the simplest of forms of Nitrous can be when an owner dropped off a car for tuning, it was fitted with a DEI cryo kit inc intercooler spray bar and the bottle was filled with Nitrous.
Running the car a few times for base settings 377bhp was achieved from the mans set up. Switching on the cryo kit gained 15hp and slightly more torque throughout the rev range. Denser air, bigger bang and no additional timing reqd, just pure gains from the kit. Bare in mind also that the owners car was already fitted with an effecient front mounted intercooler.

My own Prostreet Drag car is undergoing it's build for next season now and Nitrous will be featuring heavily on the car in at least one capacity.

Martyn

P.S What you may have meant to say is, that Nitrous isn't cost effective for use on a daily basis and that a larger turbo may be a better way to spend the money
Couldnt agree more! Been using NOS for years on turbocharged cars with unbelievable results, we dyno'd one particular car with a WON system which had a 40bhp jet and it made 60bhp!

if used /tuned correctly is far cheaper than bigger turbo / injectors!! Massive help in spool, midrange and topend !

Ant
Old 05 November 2011, 11:16 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I remember being at a dyno run when a guy hit the nos buttin in the guys cav turbo.. turned the engine off but the nos was still spraying..... BOOM! huge loud bang and blew the welds on the inlet... (f&F take there)

Last edited by RobsyUK; 05 November 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05 November 2011, 12:50 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by A.D.Edmundson
Couldnt agree more! Been using NOS for years on turbocharged cars with unbelievable results, we dyno'd one particular car with a WON system which had a 40bhp jet and it made 60bhp!

if used /tuned correctly is far cheaper than bigger turbo / injectors!! Massive help in spool, midrange and topend !

Ant
And of course the 60bhp gain would probably have netted 80-110lbft more too depending on where in the rev range it was.
Love the stuff !
Old 06 November 2011, 09:18 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

And of course the 60bhp gain would probably have netted 80-110lbft more too depending on where in the rev range it was.
Love the stuff !
Ooow i carnt wait ;-)
Old 06 November 2011, 09:35 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Nitrous does have it's merits but there is no such thing as a free lunch. It is a worthy addition to an already tuned engine with a big turbo to aid spooling but not a good idea for big power on a standard engine. It's all too easy to get giddy with the gas if you pardon the pun.
Old 06 November 2011, 10:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Martyn

Martyn, the reason I said its better to fit avcs than nitrous, its not a cost efficient option, where as twin scroll and avcs would be far better in the long run, you dont run out of either, it wont strain your engine with those "150" bhp shots, which really does nothing for a road car, where can you use it?
There are just better options, and the ammount of people who have had cars go pop on nitrous, well it could be bad setups but we wont go there...

Tony
Old 06 November 2011, 12:22 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Martyn, the reason I said its better to fit avcs than nitrous, its not a cost efficient option, where as twin scroll and avcs would be far better in the long run, you dont run out of either, it wont strain your engine with those "150" bhp shots, which really does nothing for a road car, where can you use it?
There are just better options, and the ammount of people who have had cars go pop on nitrous, well it could be bad setups but we wont go there...

Tony
Whilst AVCS is an effective option if you already have it, it isn't cost effective either. Lets say you manage to find a good set of heads cheap(And remember they crack all the time around the plug holes), say £500, on top of that you require an after market management system that will run them, all the wiring associated with that, mapping time and in then end you still gain very little at the top only better spool.
Nitrous gives you whatever you want, wherever you want it with decent control and you don't have to go mad. Nobody is suggesting that you all go and chuck 150bhp shots through your stock engines.
An extra 25bhp throughout the rev range would be a start and of course it's instant power.

Really looking forward to seeing yours ARF

Martyn
Old 29 November 2011, 02:58 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack an old thread!

But, I have a WON NOS kit with Extreme progressive controler for sale if anyone is still interested??