Notices

Reliability mods for a classic

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2011, 07:29 PM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability mods for a classic

Hi, I own a MY94 wrx with a fews mods, and I have owned it for around half a year, and seems over half of it has been time spent working on mending the car.

around 150k kilometers on the odo and things that have broke are: The clutch, the vehicle speed sensor, and a fusible link/alternator blowing up causing massive electrical damage including all electrics in the interior, and some of the engine bay electrics going kaput aswell.

Well, things got fixed and my wallet got lighter, having replaced all the fuses and whatnot, fixed the electrical wiring, changed clutches and had all that stuff done.

And now, being scared s***less and not even driven my car for a few months, Ive saved up some money (am a student so money come only so often) and looking for "budget" reliability mods for my scoob. Ive been looking at a new 255 walbro and a zero/sports thermostat atleast..

Any opinions on good mods for me?

Regards

James
Old 05 October 2011, 07:55 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

an 18 year old car mate you have to expect a few thing to go wrong.a good service, cambelt change, oil changes as well and you can prevent a major engine failure that will cost you a lot. no point in having the car sitting there. drive it, enjoy it, don't drive it at warp speed everywhere. let the other young lads race each other. i know it is hard but if you race and something happens are they going to give you money to fix your car.
Old 05 October 2011, 08:49 PM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
an 18 year old car mate you have to expect a few thing to go wrong.a good service, cambelt change, oil changes as well and you can prevent a major engine failure that will cost you a lot. no point in having the car sitting there. drive it, enjoy it, don't drive it at warp speed everywhere. let the other young lads race each other. i know it is hard but if you race and something happens are they going to give you money to fix your car.
Sure, I know that an old car will start having things going wrong but still anything that adds reliability is always a plus in my book. Cambelt was changed not a too long time ago (while the car was still in England) and oils should have been changed here and there. Cv joints etc. have been renewed and driveshaft was fixed.

Dont really enjoy racing against fellow motorists but rather take the car just on joyfull spins around some woodland roads
Old 05 October 2011, 09:37 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

then you have done everything you can. just enjoy your car. no pint in spending all that money just for it to sit unused. i wish i had an impreza when i was a student. you are a very lucky fella.
Old 06 October 2011, 04:12 AM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
then you have done everything you can. just enjoy your car. no pint in spending all that money just for it to sit unused. i wish i had an impreza when i was a student. you are a very lucky fella.
Thanks, I am lucky fella indeed (but in debt )
Old 06 October 2011, 05:49 AM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

3 port boost solenoid, STi 3 onwards intercooler, running some octane booster & upgrading the fuel pump would be a good start.
Old 06 October 2011, 07:45 AM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C
3 port boost solenoid, STi 3 onwards intercooler, running some octane booster & upgrading the fuel pump would be a good start.
As in:
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1839 for instance?

Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2011, 10:46 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a 1994 wrx it should have a 3 port boost solenoid on as std shouldn't it iirc ???,fuel pump will want doing irrespective as it wont be as efficient as when the car was 1st made.