Notices

H&s complete catback any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2011, 07:35 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&s complete catback any good?

hey, i just bought a new bellmouth 3" to 2.5" downpipe cant remember the make of it, a straight through de-cat centre section again cant remember the name, and i have a H&S 2.5", 3" tailpipe classic style backbox, for my 98 turbp 2000..

I just been looking up about the noise of the h&s and supposingly it wont be that loud does anyone have the same setup or no if its loud quiete or what?

maybe i need to go and get a vortex afterburner after all as i was looking at that backbox first?

Thanks!
Old 04 September 2011, 11:47 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have bought the one in the link below,then you will be a tad dissapointed if you want a loud exhaust system as this is on par with a racebox /prodrive system.An afterburner vortex believe me is in a total different league,it is loud but not so when it settles down on tickover,where you get a nice bassy burble.

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subar...s-backbox.html
Old 04 September 2011, 11:56 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

I got one and hes right im dissapointed, is not much different from norm and i doubt it gave 18bhp wouldt get another for the price
Old 05 September 2011, 07:04 AM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

I just sold my blitz for a H&S and im looking forward to silence!!! The constant noise from the blitz even with a bung on the motorway was just rediculous and its not comfortable at all it you have kids but if thats what you like then yes a vortex/blitz/cobra is more suited for over 100db.
Old 05 September 2011, 07:18 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The beauty of the afterburner vortex is that when you have the bung inserted , the system is quieter than a prodrive backbox.
I have driven my car a fair few miles on the motorway at a constant 70 - 80 mph(off boost) and there is no cabin drone at all.
Old 06 September 2011, 10:19 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
if you have bought the one in the link below,then you will be a tad dissapointed if you want a loud exhaust system as this is on par with a racebox /prodrive system.An afterburner vortex believe me is in a total different league,it is loud but not so when it settles down on tickover,where you get a nice bassy burble.

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subar...s-backbox.html
hi, have you actually heard one of these fully decated then, because there are vids on youtube and they sound pretty loud and growly? so im not sure i might get the rest fitted (downpipe and centre pipe) and see how it sounds.. i wouldnt think it would be quiet with a decat down pipe and straight centre section though
Old 06 September 2011, 10:50 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99jdee
hi, have you actually heard one of these fully decated then, because there are vids on youtube and they sound pretty loud and growly? so im not sure i might get the rest fitted (downpipe and centre pipe) and see how it sounds.. i wouldnt think it would be quiet with a decat down pipe and straight centre section though
Yes I have about 30 minutes ago when i have just got home.I am on my 3rd afterburner vortex full decat in 24 months.As i stated in my previous post they are a loud exhaust,but once they settle down they give a nice bassy rumble,and the real beauty is when the bung is inserted you can drive to London and back without having to take 24 paracetomol in the glovebox for good measure..

Listen to this when the guy stops accelerating(tickover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k8b-Ucwj2A
Old 06 September 2011, 10:58 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

i was on about the hayward and scott mate? also if anyone is interested in a H&S 2.5" classic backbox for trade for an afterburner vortex plus cash there way please message me! lol
Old 06 September 2011, 11:19 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99jdee
i was on about the hayward and scott mate? also if anyone is interested in a H&S 2.5" classic backbox for trade for an afterburner vortex plus cash there way please message me! lol
Sorry mate ,H & S was the 1st backbox i bought on my 99 car.I eventually fitted a decat downpipe to it and the sound got no louder .I then took out the centre resonator in the std centre section and welded a pipe in place and still not much louder.. Finally went the whole hog and bought a straight through centre section and still not loud enough.,and it was exactly the same with the prodrive backbox i bought off ebay afterwards. Then had a HKS system ,scoobysport & a ninja2 which were all ok,but then

Took no chances and bought an afterburner vortex ,never regretted it since. .
Old 06 September 2011, 11:22 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

ok i have made my mind up, it just i have the downpipe and decat centre section here and i was gunna get it fitted but now i have to save my pennies up for a vortex afterburner so it will be a bit untill i have that loud grumble, oh well i guess its what they say eh, all good things come to those who wait! lol
Old 06 September 2011, 11:44 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

It is well worth checking out ebay or the for sale section on hear imho.the quality of the backboxes means they wont rust and can be picked up quite cheaply. My 1st one I bought off a breaker from Leicester for £80,which needed a hangar bending up.The 2nd one was from a lad called Tazz on this site for £110 and my mate has it on his car now.The one I currently have, and it really is in mint condition,which seems to pop more on overrun than the others cost me £60 posted off ebay.All 3 were and are genuine afterburner vortex backboxes,so they do come up.
None on ebay at the moment but you missed a couple which ended 2 weeks ago,will pm you if i see any more come up.

Last edited by midnight; 06 September 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:44 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

thanks although, i am going to see someone next next week to buy a RCM Team Ice! rofl! bring on the DB's!!! mwhahahaha!