Notices

Remaps via the post.....

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2011, 12:13 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remaps via the post.....

Ok, Before anyone bites my head off, I am not talking Ebay jobs here.

I have a vf24 turbo sat here in a box beside a decatted uppipe. I have a full 3" Cobra turbo back system fitted. Higher performing fuel pump hopefully sorted this week.
Locally there arnt many mappers and to be honest, can be quite expensive.
Is it possible to take the ecu out, post it to a reputable mapper bearing in mind I am not after every single HP possible, just a good healthy upgrade.

I understand that rolling roads and live mapping on the road are the preferred methods, I have seen other petrol motors mapped with the ecu out and wondered if it was possible at all on Subarus as they seem to be fussy buggers.
Old 25 August 2011, 12:59 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each car is different and i for sure wouldnt be going down that route even if it is possible.
Most of the good mappers also travel to you so that shouldnt be a problem.
As for the cost, just think how much a blown engine can cost and suddenly its seems alot cheaper for a nice safe map
Old 25 August 2011, 01:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

will it be returned next delivery by rail fail?

simply put dont bother, get it done properly, even if it means traveling.
Old 25 August 2011, 01:02 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, Ideally I want it done locally so any tweaks can be made. I suppose I was wanting confirmation that it isnt such a good idea. Ta.
Old 25 August 2011, 01:04 PM
Pyrotechnic
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine has a 200sx and was telling me that's how they map those; you send your ECU off with a list of the mods you've done, they map it to those mods and send it back. Never liked the sound of that though :/
Old 25 August 2011, 01:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Technically can be done,something like run-in map/safe map until you come/or mapper come to you.

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 01:42 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
Fair enough, Ideally I want it done locally so any tweaks can be made. I suppose I was wanting confirmation that it isnt such a good idea. Ta.
I see your from Co.Down in Northern Ireland E.C.C are not far from you
Old 25 August 2011, 01:55 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

I dont think this forum likes sharing info like this or people getting maps done know apsolutely nothing about maps..
On almost every car I have owned,turbo Ive had mail ecu re map.
Mappers will have a safe stage 1-2-3-4 and work off that should the buyer require any thing different,to tell me every ecu map is different is bollox,if you have the same car as me completely stanard but your ecu is 250bhp and mine is 200bhp,why is it,with no engine mods,your ecu wont work in mine??

Obviously OP will nee a map on a dyno to get max performance but im pretty sure theres a standard stage 3 at 320 bhp that he could use as his replaced the major parts..

You know what I honestly think? alot of traders/mappers are taking the mick,never in my life have I payed over £100 for a map an thats been on cars completely standard an fully tune..

You can run live if you have the laptop recorfing and sen your logs to mapper,he can tweek,email file to you and you re flash your ecu with the new file..

It really is cake,If I were you I really start stuying ecu,Id say that for any one who has to spen more then £200 on any map on any car as you could buy a old laptop,canbus or what not and make your own software..

I just cant believe scoobys are still getting milked,even the ol ones like mine were talking 500 for ecu an 250 every map change,seriously las were getting mugged off,here go on volvo,saab,skyline,vauxhall forums an ask how much you can get a re map for threw post..

Heres a example, I run also a saab 9-3t lpt se 170 ish bhp,I can have that put on any stage 1-2-3-4? ecu sent and mapped up to 700bhp for £50 which includes the boost control solenoid,obviously I nee bigger turbo and clutch with injectors,I think if I spent 800 on my saab I coul havee 450 bhp no probs,but to get that out my scooby I have to spen tripple what the cars even worth,what 2-3k?? for 350 bhp?

Good luck what ever you lot do but I tell you this,mappers have a standard map they will tweek to your wants and they do have a standard stage what ever for you,but they want serious money,yea Id travel to for a grand a day driving some one else is car..

Been really stressed on this forum on how much of a big deal people think re mapping is and its very easy to do,if you can power the ecu out of the car,get can bus or some thing wire to copy the ecu,then you mess with the right power sections and change the right ones a bit at a time..

I know there may be some thing on the scooby that may not let it be this easy but I dont care,500 ecutek the 250 for every map??

I think if you have ecutek,you can map it your self,,Il get a few of my oler mappers to take a look as they map to stop dealers/manufacturers andd laws controlling what we can and cant do with our cars an not for our MONEY
Old 25 August 2011, 02:08 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by RSF1
I dont think this forum likes sharing info like this or people getting maps done know apsolutely nothing about maps..
Mappers will have a safe stage 1-2-3-4 and work off that should the buyer require any thing different,to tell me every ecu map is different is bollox,if you have the same car as me completely stanard but your ecu is 250bhp and mine is 200bhp,why is it,with no engine mods,your ecu wont work in mine??

Obviously OP will nee a map on a dyno to get max performance but im pretty sure theres a standard stage 3 at 320 bhp that he could use as his replaced the major parts..

You know what I honestly think? alot of traders/mappers are taking the mick,never in my life have I payed over £100 for a map an thats been on cars completely standard an fully tune..

You can run live if you have the laptop recorfing and sen your logs to mapper,he can tweek,email file to you and you re flash your ecu with the new file..

It really is cake,If I were you I really start stuying ecu,Id say that for any one who has to spen more then £200 on any map on any car as you could buy a old laptop,canbus or what not and make your own software..

I just cant believe scoobys are still getting milked,even the ol ones like mine were talking 500 for ecu an 250 every map change,seriously las were getting mugged off,here go on volvo,saab,skyline,vauxhall forums an ask how much you can get a re map for threw post..

Heres a example, I run also a saab 9-3t lpt se 170 ish bhp,I can have that put on any stage 1-2-3-4? ecu sent and mapped up to 700bhp for £50 which includes the boost control solenoid,obviously I nee bigger turbo and clutch with injectors,I think if I spent 800 on my saab I coul havee 450 bhp no probs,but to get that out my scooby I have to spen tripple what the cars even worth,what 2-3k?? for 350 bhp?

Good luck what ever you lot do but I tell you this,mappers have a standard map they will tweek to your wants and they do have a standard stage what ever for you,but they want serious money,yea Id travel to for a grand a day driving some one else is car..

Been really stressed on this forum on how much of a big deal people think re mapping is and its very easy to do,if you can power the ecu out of the car,get can bus or some thing wire to copy the ecu,then you mess with the right power sections and change the right ones a bit at a time..

I know there may be some thing on the scooby that may not let it be this easy but I dont care,500 ecutek the 250 for every map??

I think if you have ecutek,you can map it your self,,Il get a few of my oler mappers to take a look as they map to stop dealers/manufacturers andd laws controlling what we can and cant do with our cars an not for our MONEY
Honestly, just for a second there, I thought this was a serious post..
Very good, most amusing!
Old 25 August 2011, 02:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

No every ECU is different,just mods are different and engine are different this is problem.

For maximizing BHP best is get map car by mapper and not post.
By post mapping/email is popular in USA and other countries its possible as you are said by emailing logs/ROM.

You are probably don't know about the mapping on Subaru nothing,stages and no mapping will result in big bang or dodgy mapping will result in big bang,just search here for Subaru mapping and Birmingham and you will know what i mean.

Your lpt have as standard TD04 and this turbo hardly see 400bhp.And you can done for £800 450bhp,this must be proven 450bhp or just mapper you said,modified Saab is little bit harder than Subaru and for £800 you have nice new TD04,which can make with 280bhp ask Abbott racing,which turbo you can have for £800

No Ecutek you can't map yourself,only OS tune is available for mapping yourself...

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 02:13 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
Mate of mine has a 200sx and was telling me that's how they map those; you send your ECU off with a list of the mods you've done, they map it to those mods and send it back. Never liked the sound of that though :/
It dont soun right but trust me 9/10 tunable cars are mapped this way.. You can then go rolling r,prefferably one with knock sensor and all the bells,say your cars standard 210 bhp like my scooby,its safe to run at 300bhp with stanard engine, mapper will have a map for a safe bhp,simply get you to sen your ecu an re map it,2 min job or he can sen you a file which you can use to reflash your self.. You go rolling rd,its knocking at bla bla,note it,I want more torque in lower gears or less boost,note it, email mapper and he can change certain values and either re map or sen file.. I bet theres a website some were with scooby map files stored that are 100% safe or the owner will tweek for peanuts.. Here, Take a look,if you IT techy,you can do this no probs. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuni...e-electronics/ http://trionic.mobixs.eu/ check this one,this is what you need but for a scooby!!!!! http://forum.ecuproject.com/forum.php Excellent if you want to learn.. I think this forum is more focused on making money out of traders and scooby,as much as possible and before its to late,you got folk that would rather break there car then sell it for 2-3k.. I kind of feel sorry for the scooby,I cant spend 2k on 350hp from this car,Id sooner pay £2500 for a fresh import doing 400,so many more options for your money oh an how much you get back on re sale of the car?? Seen people spending 50k,people like this is why theres others so quick to charge top oe for easy work.. From what I see,all you need is some one to copy one or the main mapper software and work out there hardware,Id happily pay 500 for ecutek as I know for a fact,I would get what I need to know and charge peanuts for re maps,thats just me though.. Take care
Old 25 August 2011, 02:18 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Very good, most amusing!
I know exactly how you feel on that one, for a second I thought I was browsing a Scoobynet post in the Twilight Zone
Old 25 August 2011, 02:20 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
No every ECU is different,just mods are different and engine are different this is problem.

For maximizing BHP best is get map car by mapper and not post.
By post mapping/email is popular in USA and other countries its possible as you are said by emailing logs/ROM.

You are probably don't know about the mapping on Subaru nothing,stages and no mapping will result in big bang or dodgy mapping will result in big bang,just search here for Subaru mapping and Birmingham and you will know what i mean.

Your lpt have as standard TD04 and this turbo hardly see 400bhp.And you can done for £800 450bhp,this must be proven 450bhp or just mapper you said,modified Saab is little bit harder than Subaru and for £800 you have nice new TD04,which can make with 280bhp ask Abbott racing,which turbo you can have for £800

No Ecutek you can't map yourself,only OS tune is available for mapping yourself...

Jura
I get you,but surely this stuff could of been copied and what not long time ago,we have the technology.. I appreciate your advice,youve explained a little more then any one,I was using the saab as a example,obviously at 350bhp + you have to start changing things..I just cant understand why virtually every other car can be done easy yet theres nothing for a scooby unless you have deep pockets.. What I was saying is,most tuners tend to have standard stage 1-2-3-4-5 set ups which are tried and tested,they simply map them values in,or tweak to how you want.. So,If I haf the ecutek,you think thats possible to map your self?? I mean,I totaly amit its not for the ammateur but you can learn and do this stuff in no time.. Dont think for 1 sec im bashing here,Im just trying to find a answer for a problem like OP If there is mail mappers,please contact me but for now il go to old mappers and see whats up as it dont sound right. Nothings impossible..
Old 25 August 2011, 02:23 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Very good, most amusing!
I almost thought you were going to try help OP. Not going to argue,you post done nothing to help any one.. Funny how another trader jumped on too and im not here to get ganged up on,I just want to know why and what can be done..

Last edited by RSF1; 25 August 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 02:33 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I get you,but surely this stuff could of been copied and what not long time ago,we have the technology.. I appreciate your advice,youve explained a little more then any one,I was using the saab as a example,obviously at 350bhp + you have to start changing things..I just cant understand why virtually every other car can be done easy yet theres nothing for a scooby unless you have deep pockets.. What I was saying is,most tuners tend to have standard stage 1-2-3-4-5 set ups which are tried and tested,they simply map them values in,or tweak to how you want.. So,If I haf the ecutek,you think thats possible to map your self?? I mean,I totaly amit its not for the ammateur but you can learn and do this stuff in no time.. Dont think for 1 sec im bashing here,Im just trying to find a answer for a problem like OP If there is mail mappers,please contact me but for now il go to old mappers and see whats up as it dont sound right. Nothings impossible..
If you looking map your car yourself,have look at RomRaider and OpenECU forums,where you can explain how to do...

But this is available only on New age ECU,classic ECU can be mapped only via EcuTek,i'm afraid.

For mapping you will need RomRaider/EcuFlash Tactrix cable,Det cans,good wideband and lots of patience and best is log on Open ECU or RomRaider forum for help and questions,if you understand how engine works,you should be able map your car yourself.

This is about the mapping,on other question hope someone will answer sooner or later

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 03:01 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I almost thought you were going to try help OP. Not going to argue,you post done nothing to help any one.. Funny how another trader jumped on too and im not here to get ganged up on,I just want to know why and what can be done..
I wasn't referring to the OP..
Old 25 August 2011, 03:39 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Ok, Before anyone bites my head off, I am not talking Ebay jobs here.

I have a vf24 turbo sat here in a box beside a decatted uppipe. I have a full 3" Cobra turbo back system fitted. Higher performing fuel pump hopefully sorted this week.
Locally there arnt many mappers and to be honest, can be quite expensive.
Is it possible to take the ecu out, post it to a reputable mapper bearing in mind I am not after every single HP possible, just a good healthy upgrade.

I understand that rolling roads and live mapping on the road are the preferred methods, I have seen other petrol motors mapped with the ecu out and wondered if it was possible at all on Subarus as they seem to be fussy buggers.
Your question is perfectly reasonable.
The difficulty is the fact you are making a number of fundamental changes that require specific tuning to accurately deal with.
There are a number of variables, including comp ratio, boost input and output including wastegate spring loading and preload, injector outputs, fuel pressure variations etc..
Added to that is the fact of the Impreza using a MAF sensor, which gives very fine control relative to air volume, and is subject to wild voltage fluctuations from such as air filter choice.
If you're keen enough to buy the parts, you should be keen enough to have it properly mapped, on the basis that the gains from mapping will be more than the gains from just slappin' stuff on.
Considering the fragility of Impreza engines at times, I'd say the cost of careful mapping is cheap as opposed to a blown engine.
I very often tell people not to attempt to tune their car if it isn't viable. Go check out my "question and answer" page, you'll find loads!
I don't know anybody who says it's ok to map an Impreza remotely, and I certainly wouldn't attempt to.
Old 25 August 2011, 05:22 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

When a car is live mapped you're constantly making adjustments, fueling, ignition, boost just some of the parameters that are changed and trust me, just a few degrees of ignition can mean the difference between a 350bhp very quick Scooby and serious failure. The idea of allowing someone to map these values into my ecu remotely without seeing the real time results of these changes is too risky.

Mapping an ecu isn't some mystery and to anyone who is considering trying it themselves my advice would be, take your time, read as much information as you can, talk to people who are already mapping and also be patient, your first map isn't going to be great, just focus on making it safe and it helps if you have a degree of mechanical knowledge.

When you pay for a map with a professional tuning company such as us or Alan Jefferey above, you're paying for the experience, knowledge and time of the person doing the mapping and also the peace of mind knowing that we're not going to push your car past safe levels but will use the engine and modifications to their true potential.
There is a higher cost involved with EcuTek because there's a licence fee and alot people have said to me why don't you guys use open source? As a company we use EcuTek because of the support they provide to us which passes through to our customers and when we have a customer in spending a good few grand on an engine build, that support is paramount.
Old 25 August 2011, 05:52 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Brendy, have you priced AI to do it for you? they do Ecutek on bugeye onwards - just not classics
Old 25 August 2011, 05:56 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Not spoken to johnny, no. Ecutek is an option Craig but i dont see it being the only one.

As I said in my original post, I understand how it is done, the need to see how the car performs etc then tweaking again etc.
I think the time for ecutek to lower their pricing has been and gone, R&D does cost them yes, these cars have been about 10 years now. Time to give the customers a break?

Last edited by brendy76; 25 August 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 06:39 PM
Ami
Scooby Regular

brendy76 - as Baz82 said - you have East Coast Customs pretty close, in Lisburn, where they do remaps on Subarus - maybe it's worth to give them a try?

A bit further, but nothing critical I think, you have also Couture Auto in south, in Dunboyne.
Old 25 August 2011, 08:29 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

brendy, have you given Michael at OMA a ring? I am slightly biased here but he does produce good results.
Old 25 August 2011, 08:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

send it to Honda and ask for a Lewis Diesal Map itll be faster than a Bugatti then.

Jk jope you get sorted m8

ted
Old 25 August 2011, 09:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Op

Subaru engines are too different and I have never used the same map on more than one car.

Have you tried www.scoobyireland.com as you local knowledge/forum.

Simon
Old 25 August 2011, 10:05 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon, yea Im a regular on there matey.
I have no doubt that Ecutek is a decent product, I have no reason to knock it (other than price I suppose) and have no desire to turn this into a slanging match about who is better than who. From my time on here there are a few guys on here who excel at mapping cars, yourself included. I recently saw another very reputable mappers' thread showing prices virtually half the price of Ecutek which made me bring this question to the forum. I know Open Source is not "owned" by anyone in particular hence the lower prices.
I realise I could have asked the guy directly but thought I would throw it open to the forum.

I think its time to start putting away a few more pennies as Id like to get the turbo/bits on sooner rather than later. Thanks all for the replies.
Old 25 August 2011, 10:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yes I dont see getting into an open source/ecutek argument but there is more into it than that.

Regardless via email is not going to end well imho.

Lol
Simon
Old 25 August 2011, 10:25 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

hehe yea I just needed that reinforced I guess!
As you know there arn't many mappers over here nevermind OS etc. but hey, different argument for different people on a different day
Out of sheer interest, when are you due back over, may tag along for a chat.

Last edited by brendy76; 25 August 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 10:32 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Brendy I think ECC are able to Open Source map, Im not certain but worth a phone call
Old 26 August 2011, 12:01 AM
scotty44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Yes I dont see getting into an open source/ecutek argument but there is more into it than that.
Been there before

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-mapping.html

And after 2 years im still not 100% sure
Old 26 August 2011, 12:25 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

hehe yea I just needed that reinforced I guess!
As you know there arn't many mappers over here nevermind OS etc. but hey, different argument for different people on a different day
Out of sheer interest, when are you due back over, may tag along for a chat.
Sept / oct the actual date hasnt been sorted yet.

Simon

Quick Reply: Remaps via the post.....