Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2011, 11:10 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default handling setup advice

Pro drive springs
CDC drop links front and rear
Rear 24mm arb white line adjustable (currently on softest setting)
Anti lift kit White line
Geo setup

Above is my current setup, what else could I add to this to improve the handling of the car, is it worth going for a front arb too?

Thinking also of some BC coilovers with 5 / 4 springs to keep ride not too harsh, with doing this make much difference?
Old 23 August 2011, 11:33 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Front 22mm ARB
Subframe Lock bolts
Solid Pitch Stop
Uprated Engine Mounts
Diff Brace
Strut braces
Camber bolts
Solid Prop Mounts
H-Brace
Diff Outrigger Bushings

etc etc etc

Done so much on mine to stiffen and hone the lateral movement to a minimum. Drives like a gokart
Old 23 August 2011, 11:39 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Front 22mm ARB
Subframe Lock bolts
Solid Pitch Stop
Uprated Engine Mounts
Diff Brace
Strut braces
Camber bolts
Solid Prop Mounts
H-Brace
Diff Outrigger Bushings

etc etc etc

Done so much on mine to stiffen and hone the lateral movement to a minimum. Drives like a gokart
Thanks for that, in order which give the biggest improvement and did you do it all at once? Where the best place to purchase these bits? I'm more than happy with the power just want the care to handle as good as my brothers Megane r26 team f1
Old 23 August 2011, 11:53 PM
Scooby Senior

Front ARB first, Strut braces, H-Brace, Pitchstop, lock bolts and then take your pick Obviously camber bolts needed for the alignment

ONE important caveat. DONT buy cheap ****, best not bother in that case.

Whiteline obviously all good.

Summit Racing make the best Strut Braces, H-Braces and most underbody scaffolding I can pm you my supplier

The replacement subframe kit blew my mind ! handling is so much flatter and chuckable it's awesome...

Beatrush make the best Pitchstops and Diff Bracing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beatrush-P...item3a695e229f

New Age is listed at request and looks like mine

Whiteline gear and everything else I use Tim at ScoobyParts as he is a diamond discount and top bloke ta'boot

Eibach make the best value camber bolts, (whiteline are a ripoff price for essentially the same part !)

Anything else give me a shout. I have tried most bits so feel fairly qualified to comment. Not a fan of the 'you don't need it brigade' that have never experimented beyond a cheap ebay strut brace
Old 23 August 2011, 11:57 PM
Scooby Senior

Other one is to look at the RCM solid gearbox mounts and engine mounts. Fitted these to my classic and even more roll disappeared. Was less dramatic when I repeated the parts on the MY06 SPecD, but this car had only done 10k miles and was still tight as a drum compared to a 15 year old classic
Old 24 August 2011, 08:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
Pro drive springs
CDC drop links front and rear
Rear 24mm arb white line adjustable (currently on softest setting)
Anti lift kit White line
Geo setup

Above is my current setup, what else could I add to this to improve the handling of the car, is it worth going for a front arb too?

Thinking also of some BC coilovers with 5 / 4 springs to keep ride not too harsh, with doing this make much difference?
Is this on a classic? First thing I'd try, if it is, is putting the rear arb onto the middle setting.

You don't say what wheels and tyres you are using, nor whether the car is lowered.

On a classic, you keep the FRONT arb weaker than the rear, which removes understeer. Tightening up the front the same as the back will put it back again.

Who did the geo setup? When mine was done at Carnetix, it handled beautifully, same mods as you but including the BC coilovers. Mine is on 215/40 17" Toyo T1's.

As for the Renault, well they are a far more modern car, designed to handle, not modded to do so. They essentially have a wheel on each corner and you are going to be going some to handle like one. My eldest has a Clio 197 Sport, he can keep up with me through most DRY twisties.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:22 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Is this on a classic? First thing I'd try, if it is, is putting the rear arb onto the middle setting.

You don't say what wheels and tyres you are using, nor whether the car is lowered.

On a classic, you keep the FRONT arb weaker than the rear, which removes understeer. Tightening up the front the same as the back will put it back again.

Who did the geo setup? When mine was done at Carnetix, it handled beautifully, same mods as you but including the BC coilovers. Mine is on 215/40 17" Toyo T1's.

As for the Renault, well they are a far more modern car, designed to handle, not modded to do so. They essentially have a wheel on each corner and you are going to be going some to handle like one. My eldest has a Clio 197 Sport, he can keep up with me through most DRY twisties.
sorry for te lack of information in the op.

Car is 2003 sti
Wheels 18" with Toyo T1's

The prodrive springs, geo and anti lift is to be installed this Friday however I thought whilst the car is having the work done I may as well add anything else which will compliment the setup. maybe I'm being a little too keen before I have tested the car after Friday however my previous 05 sti had the same mods plus adjustable suspension and handled well but still i wanted a little more.

The main reason is I don't want to go coil overs as I want to maintain oe ride quality so any other additions bar coil overs that won't kill the ride quality but still improve the handling is what I'm after.

A few have suggested bc and soft springs 5/4 but I don't want some coil overs that will only last me 3years before leaking and knocking etc.. Kw, ohlins, ast are out of budget. I won't be doing any track work so it's a a competent road setup that I'm after really, competent meaning it can handle the Yorkshire roads bumps, holes, undulations and also be firm on motorways and a roads

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2011, 09:23 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Also what about a full Polly bushing kit??