Urgent help needed, engine = BOOM

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2011, 08:07 PM
elferdo624
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help needed, engine = BOOM

Hi Gents
Im new to the site, and really need some advice on my car. I drive an important WRX classic shape (1996).
It is an awesome car, and I've had it for 5 years, and any work done on the car I have done myself if I've had the correct equipment.
So I took on its first track day today, and it blew everything else out of the water.... until the 5th session, when the car died!!! I think the turbo failed. I think this as I can see a big oil leak from the top mount intercooler, smoke poured out of the bonnet, oil was smoking and the coolant was boiling off in a big way from the radiator / coolant fill. I think the turbo was leaking oil, then failed. As its water cooled I think this is the reason for the radiator issues. However once everything cooled down, I checked the water level and there was still some in there, therefore assumed the car could still drive but with no turbo. Unfortuantely it doesn't even turn over now!!! Why is this??
I was hoping a new front mount and new turbo might sort it, but this doesn't fix or explain why it doesn't turn over. Please help. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Old 12 August 2011, 08:21 PM
russellgarwood4174
Scooby Regular

if your turbo is leaking oil your engine oil level would of dropped!! you should of checked your oil level as well as your water before attempting to run it, im guessing you might of siezed your engine!!
Old 12 August 2011, 09:25 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

if the turbo fails it is possible to hydrolock the engine on it own oil i do believe?
Old 12 August 2011, 09:42 PM
tarrano
Scooby Regular

Why is yours important, mines only imported?
Old 12 August 2011, 09:51 PM
elferdo624
Scooby Newbie

Ha, whoops, yes import, although it is still important .

If it is hydrolocked, how do I go about checking this is the case / fixing it?

Will check oil level tomorrow also, but only just changed it this week, so I know there was a full amount in there, and when it all went wrong on the track, it didn't seem as if all the oil from the engine had been released.

Thanks for the responses gents
Old 12 August 2011, 09:58 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much oil did it drop roughly?
Old 12 August 2011, 10:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd say you've actually melted a piston from the engine running lean and getting too hot...that'll also explain the overheating, which may have popped a head gasket(s) too.

A holed piston will send oil all over the place, breathers, turbo seals (crankcase presurises forcing oil past the seals). Head gasket going pop could fill the bores with coolant and cause hydro lock.

To remove hydrolock, remove all spark plugs, disable the fuel injection (diconnect the crank sensor underneath the alternator), and crank it over on the starter. If it turns over ok, then at least its not seized.

Then get the cylinder compressions checked, then take the next course of action based on what the cylinder pressures are.
Old 13 August 2011, 05:32 PM
elferdo624
Scooby Newbie

Well gents I've spent the day looking at the problem. As recommended I removed the spark plugs and tried to turn it over. .......Nothing. Looks like it the engines is dead, ceased I think. On removal of all the plugs one of them was damp with oil, so my guess is the piston has a hole in it. Oh dear. I haven't go the time or resources, or money for that matter to take the engine out and begin inspection / rebuild.
Goin gto put it up for sale as spares / breaking now and get a new motor. Anyone know anyone who may be intersted?

Thanks again for the replies
Old 14 August 2011, 12:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I take it you've already tried to turn to over by hand just to rule out something silly like the starter solonoid playing funny beggers.