Notices

Fuel Pump Problem with Link ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2011, 03:47 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Problem with Link ECU ?

Hi,
Car is WRX MY98, Link ECU with yellow 440 cc injectors. Car performs well for over 10 years with the classic Link ECU till this year that it fail to start. When engine fires up, it will run flawlessly for next 2-3 weeks then it will fail to start up again. After several attempts, sometimes a day or two, if lucky, engine will fire up again and function normally. 3 weeks ago, I couldnt start my car for a week. I noticed fuel pump wasnt running. I pulled out the pump and a mechanic applied 12 volts DC to it and pump runs. Below were the efforts I tried and couldnt get the car started:
1. Main relay and fuel pump relay replaced, nil fix.
2. Both crank and cam shaft sensor swapped with another WRX, nil joy
3. All fuses checked, all satisfactory.
4. Ignitor coil replaced, nil joy.

Managed to contact Link Electro System in New Zealand and they willing to check my ECU as they reckon loose connector or poor contact or soldered joint, etc,etc. I sent my Link ECU to them and they just told me that they cant find anything wrong with my ECU but they resoldered all joints, micro socket and components related to fuel pump and ECU are now being sent to me which I reckon I will get in 2-3 days. In case I am unable to start my car again with my "refurbished" Link ECU, any advice what I should be looking at ? Appreciate your expert advice.
Thanks.

Chan
Old 10 August 2011, 04:17 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

i have had the same problem with a Link ecu,
all i had to do , was to remove the chip and plug it in again, i have also had 2 ecu were the daughterboard with the trigger input have been destryed

Both was a easy fix

/Skassa
Old 10 August 2011, 04:49 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Quite often the wiring loom under the back seat going to the pump gives trouble. check all power and earth. I had to wire my fuel pump to the tailight to get me home one dark and wet evenng(with the speaker wires)!
Old 10 August 2011, 06:38 PM
classicscoob
Scooby Regular

The pump could still be the problem, they do run intermittently sometimes, how old is it?
Old 10 August 2011, 11:32 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

it could also be the alarm (immobilising the fuel pump)
Old 11 August 2011, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My LINK had a dodgy connection when Bob Rawle/Harvey mapped it. It would suddenly cut everything at full boost.

Took Harvey an age to sort it.
Old 11 August 2011, 03:59 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,
My fuel pump is as old as the car, MY98, 13 years old.
The thing is once engine is started, car will run perfectly,low, medium and full boost, no hiccup at all. Then after 2-3 weeks times it just will not fire up at all. Usually between an hour and 2 days after failing to start, it will start beautifully and run beautifully. Only last month it wouldnt want to fire up at all for a week till I decided to sent my Link ECU to Link Electro New Zealand for a health check nd passed with flying colours. No immobiliser on this unit.

Denmark, are you saying that if I reseat the chip it will fix the problem, permanently ? I will try this and will also look for fuel pump. I am still waiting for my ECU to reach me. Should have it in next 24 hours time. Will have to check the wire loom as well in case some rat chew it !!

Chan
Old 11 August 2011, 04:16 PM
classicscoob
Scooby Regular

Mate my fuel pump gave up a couple of months back and its a 1998,it was slightly intermittent before it failed too, for the sake of £70 get a walbro and eliminate that as the problem, it will need changing soon anyway.
Old 11 August 2011, 04:44 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

funny you mention this i got a newage sti with similar problem, randomly cuts out some mornings, last night it cut out on the motorway with me at 70! lost all power steering as engine stalled!

started this morning and its fine and drive to work without trouble? will check the wiring for the fuel pump under back seats, dont give up though mate some of us are in the same boat
Old 12 August 2011, 03:59 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, guys. My pump so far has never failed while engine is alive and kicking. This is why I never suspected the pump. I am in the Far East and here HKS, Power fuel pump are most popular but according to a friend who fitted Power Fuel pump, it lasted for a year.
I am still waiting for my classic Link ECU to reach me and DHL seems to be slow. BTW, anyone got the part number for the OEM pump ? Better now wait for it to fail while doing "Fast and Furious" driving !

Chan
Old 13 August 2011, 04:08 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Greetings to all,
Finally I received my serviced Link ECU from Kiwi this afternoon and fitted to my car and to my dismay, fuel pump refused to work. I took out the pump assembly and applied 12volts DC through the connector and pump works ! I check the pump relay and it click every time ignition switch is turned to ON. Cut the story short, I found the pump wire harness connector under passenger seat RH side partly MELTED ! The melted part connects the electrical power wires to the pump. Cut the wires and directly connect them together bypassing the connector, turn the ignition key to ON, pump RUNS ! And engine comes to life after 4 weeks.
Next question is how the hell this connector can melt. Melt due to heat from electrical resistance. I have to change my fuel pump as a precaution. So no passenger seat this weekend and till I replace the pump so I can keep an eye on the wire repair I did. My advice to those who have this fuel problem, remove your rear base passenger seat and check on the electrical connector on the right hand side, it's a square type electrical connector. Heat,spark and fuel is a formula for "KABOOM".
Any opinions on this ? Thanks.
Old 13 August 2011, 04:51 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

This is a very common problem as mentioned earlier in the thread. Its caused by load on the wiring causing the connector to get hot. Over years of use it adventually melts. Theres minimal risk as if it shorted the fuse would blow and its not in contact at all with fuel