Help ? is it worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2011, 07:53 PM
triggster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ? is it worth it ?

Guys,
Just after some thoughts on the below, as if I want it, I have not got long to make my mind up

A work colleague of mine has offered me his 51 reg WRX bug eye for a very good price, it does however have high miles - 165k, it had an engine rebuild on 113k with receipts for cost of 3k, it has 12months mot new discs/pads, another recent cambelt and generally good history, it is also in very good order for age/miles, also has 4 new p zero tyres, the only known mods are a full blitz exhaust system and d/valve. I take it it must have been remapped? although there is no mention of this in any of the history? he is the 4th owner and a mature driver not in the modding scene as it were.
Im after some adivce for a few rough costings if the below items need replacing on it;- theres nothing saying they've already been done but worth baring in mind?
Clutch £ ?
Turbo £ can you get recond items ?
Gearbox £

Any help would be great
Old 04 July 2011, 08:08 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Depends how much mate, you can get a lot of scooby for very little now.

Clutch gear box and turbo are quite common failures but are not as expensive as bottom end or Head Gasket. These parts are also inexpensive to buy if you look in the right places (ie scoobynet market place )
Old 04 July 2011, 08:14 PM
triggster
Scooby Regular

around £1700 !! I would hope the rebuild which included, pistons, conrod, crank etc would cover the biggest cost I am also thinking if you had to break it at that money you might not loose too much as a worse case scenario ? alloys are all very good etc.
Old 04 July 2011, 08:21 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by triggster

Clutch £200
Gearbox £500 (done same time as above inc labour)
Turbo £90 for a td04, £100 labour fitting

Total £900

Any help would be great
I would be looking at the rest of the aging parts too such as shocks, brakes etc etc.

Rob
Old 04 July 2011, 08:25 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, think that is reasonably priced tbh. As you say even it you broke it you would probably get that back.

It will have had a new clutch and probably a gearbox in its life time and a rebuild doesnt always guarantee reliability no more than buying one with 70k on. I have a sti type r with a blown HG it has done 4k miles since rebuild (this alone is costing me more than your car)
My mate has one with 135k miles still on same engine, if she is well looked after and you like it buy her up and enjoy it for that kind of cash you cant really go wrong
Old 04 July 2011, 08:25 PM
triggster
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob,
brakes are all good, unknown on the suspension although feels fine.
Is there anyway of checking if it was remapped for the exhaust other than getting a mapper to look??
Old 04 July 2011, 08:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by triggster
Cheers Rob,
brakes are all good, unknown on the suspension although feels fine.
Is there anyway of checking if it was remapped for the exhaust other than getting a mapper to look??
To be honest with the amount of miles its done, I would be getting it looked at anyway. A Open source map would set you back only about £250 which will see your car safe and also make the car more economical as well as a few extra ponies

If the Exhasut has been uprated, I would imagine that the Uppipe and downpipe cat will have been removed already, in which case it really should have had a remap at some point anyway.

Rob
Old 04 July 2011, 08:45 PM
triggster
Scooby Regular

Well the exhaust is all the way to the turbo, could not see if the up pipe has been done ! £250 is not bad for the map either ! yes, its soo cheap for bug wrx just keep thinking of the miles !! but then they are going for 3k ish with half the miles