Notices

Buying a Scoob needing an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2011, 12:32 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Scoob needing an engine?

How much would I be looking at for a replacement engine if I were to buy a classic in need of one? Nothing OTT, just a standard WRX/STI spec engine. Not really considering anything modified/upgraded at this stage

Also, how much of a job, in terms of time spent, is it realistic to carry out the swap itself? Am exploring all avenues to get myself into a Scoob sooner rather than later, even if it's just a weekend toy/project.

All advice gratefully received!

Last edited by Nato; 24 June 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 24 June 2011, 12:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

be an expensive way to do it and alot of risk, unless you get an engine built specificly with a warrenty
Old 24 June 2011, 01:11 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Are we talking in terms of initial outlay, or in the possibility of needing major repairs down the line? If the engine is a known good one (warranted mileage, paperwork etc) would this not make it a low risk option?
Old 24 June 2011, 01:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

if its gaurentied then yeah, although you may find the warrenty is a waste of paper, also may be restrictive on who installs it.

have you got a rolling shell already? or seen one cheap?
Old 24 June 2011, 01:35 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

You can pick them up well under a grand but as the others say it's a risk. Unless you already have the car or it's free I wouldn't bother. If you try doing stuff on these cars on the cheap it usually ends up costing you a fortune in the long run. It's worth paying the extra in the first place for a good one. Just my opinion though.
Old 24 June 2011, 01:36 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Just gathering info atm if I'm honest, there a couple of spares or repairs jobs about that I've seen, hence the question, but if it's both simpler and less expensive to wait for a decent, complete car then that's what I'll do. The market seems to be fairly rich with Scoobs at present, so I would imagine the right one for the right price will appear soon enough
Old 24 June 2011, 01:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yeah, markets full of em, def a buyers market.

if you were wanting to have a decent spec engine in one then a rolling shell would be a good idea, but for just a stock engine then buy as a whole.
Old 24 June 2011, 01:40 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Yeah don't want anything to crazy at present. Simple WRX power is good enough for me for now! Thanks for the advice
Old 24 June 2011, 01:58 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi mate depends really ... First depends on who is doin the work I mean if ur doin it then will b much cheaper obviously a person who no's there way around Scoob will have a engine out in about 2 hrs its only about 10 bolts and clips the few around the down pipe generally been the most stubborn .... Bust realistically if all goes well u could def have a engine out and another 1 in, in the space of a day but u would prob need a few hours the next day just to b sure that everything is doin what it should ... .. As for the engine I would prob stay clear of eBay although u get good deals unless u are 100% about the engine I would prefur to get 1 of a SN trader or member and see it running b4 u buy it Is a good idea too.. Also take some 1 that no's what to look for... Price I think u could pick 1 up anywhere around 4-650 really second hand ... But u could get 1 built then the amout will increase drastically ..lol
Old 24 June 2011, 02:28 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nato
Yeah don't want anything to crazy at present. Simple WRX power is good enough for me for now! Thanks for the advice

Its funny how many people want to keep them standard at first, then within a couple of years they write threads starting "what do I need for 500/500". Lol. I am guilty of this as well.
Old 24 June 2011, 02:35 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Hi mate depends really ... First depends on who is doin the work I mean if ur doin it then will b much cheaper obviously a person who no's there way around Scoob will have a engine out in about 2 hrs its only about 10 bolts and clips the few around the down pipe generally been the most stubborn .... Bust realistically if all goes well u could def have a engine out and another 1 in, in the space of a day but u would prob need a few hours the next day just to b sure that everything is doin what it should ... .. As for the engine I would prob stay clear of eBay although u get good deals unless u are 100% about the engine I would prefur to get 1 of a SN trader or member and see it running b4 u buy it Is a good idea too.. Also take some 1 that no's what to look for... Price I think u could pick 1 up anywhere around 4-650 really second hand ... But u could get 1 built then the amout will increase drastically ..lol
It would be an 'out of the box' engine, rather than having one built, but from the sounds of it I'm better off going with a ready installed one in a tidy shell, rather than going down the replacement route
Old 26 June 2011, 11:49 AM
bigpimp347
Scooby Newbie

there's a guy on eblagg doing exchange engines for £650 i think or there abouts, block for block sale, could be a way to go..
Old 26 June 2011, 11:51 AM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigpimp347
there's a guy on eblagg doing exchange engines for £650 i think or there abouts, block for block sale, could be a way to go..
Don't suppose you have a link do you fella?
Old 26 June 2011, 12:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nato
Don't suppose you have a link do you fella?
Wouldnt even go there tbh, a shafted engine goes for 200 quid, so what are you getting for £650? probably a painted pretty engine that will let go at its earliest convenience (google ideal engines and the several other names they also use).
Speak with one of the engine builders, its your best option and the engine is likely to last more than 50 miles.
Look at a cost of around 2k for a standard rebuild.

Tony
Old 26 June 2011, 12:21 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo Tez
Its funny how many people want to keep them standard at first, then within a couple of years they write threads starting "what do I need for 500/500". Lol. I am guilty of this as well.
lol i'm sure the itch will need to be scratched at some point, but i plan on starting slowly.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Wouldnt even go there tbh, a shafted engine goes for 200 quid, so what are you getting for £650? probably a painted pretty engine that will let go at its earliest convenience (google ideal engines and the several other names they also use).
Speak with one of the engine builders, its your best option and the engine is likely to last more than 50 miles.
Look at a cost of around 2k for a standard rebuild.

Tony
So I guess what you're saying is that I'd possibly be looking at around the same cost for a complete car as I would be for a dead one and a decent rebuild, depending on the car of course. What would be the case for a rebuild over going for a complete, running car if any?
Old 26 June 2011, 12:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The advantage is that if a rebuild is done properly, then its like having a new engine with a fresh oil pump and not having that nagging feeling at the back of your mind that after the 100k miles the engine in your car has done, its going to let go....
Have a chat to API (Coventry) or EngineTuner (Plymouth) for your options

Tony
Old 26 June 2011, 12:33 PM
bigpimp347
Scooby Newbie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...ht_2037wt_1026

is one, but i found another too..
don't know where it's gone..
Old 26 June 2011, 01:03 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigpimp347
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...ht_2037wt_1026

is one, but i found another too..
don't know where it's gone..
that telephone number is linked too" smr engines" ,quite a few bad storys on here if you search for them .
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...on-engine.html see post 6 ,

do yourself a favour and get someone reputable to build you one
Old 26 June 2011, 01:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classicgc8
that telephone number is linked too" smr engines" ,quite a few bad storys on here if you search for them .
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...on-engine.html see post 6 ,

do yourself a favour and get someone reputable to build you one
Yup ideal/smr engines (same company just couldnt think of the other names as there are far too many ) not regarded very highly think I mentioned nice silver paint? well they use gunk and dont open the engines up, and their "limited warranty" is until you start it up, then its gone!

Tony
Old 26 June 2011, 01:28 PM
Nato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yup ideal/smr engines (same company just couldnt think of the other names as there are far too many ) not regarded very highly think I mentioned nice silver paint? well they use gunk and dont open the engines up, and their "limited warranty" is until you start it up, then its gone!

Tony
A reputable company indeed then!

I'll look into the two companies you mentioned though, see what they can offer...
Old 26 June 2011, 01:36 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

I only paid £1300 for my 93 wrx with 75k on the clock,full history and lots of expensive goodies fitted so why mess around with engines etc when a decent one can be had cheap as chips???