Turbo Whistling

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2011, 03:37 PM
jamieparr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Whistling

Hi all

Bought a new WRX two weeks ago, it's an 05; has a 3" downpipe, standard centre pipe and 2.5" prodrive backbox, a bit of a mismatch but thats due to be replaced. No other mods that I am aware of.
The car was running fine until today when the turbo started making a whineing noise when driving. The noise kicks in at around 3000rpm and gets worse the more I accelerate, if I accelerate slowly the noise is not so noticeable but if I put my foot down it gets quite loud. The noise sounds like what people describe on forums as a "fire engine siren".
I have removed the tmic and checked all pipes, everything looks fine. There is no oil in any of the pipes connecting the tmic. From what I have read this sounds like the turbo needs replacing. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in checking whether this is the case, if this is possible? I have a warranty that covers the turbo so I can get it replaced if needs be.
Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 22 June 2011, 04:12 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Take it back mate, if it's covered then you shouldn't have any issues. Even if they find it's not that surely the peace of mind is worth it alone.
Old 22 June 2011, 05:00 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

Could be a turbo issue but could also be an airleak. If under warranty get it checked sooner rather than later
Old 22 June 2011, 07:00 PM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it's the turbo and not the power steering pump? The power steering pump noise when low on fluid or damaged sounds exactly like a siren.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:21 PM
jamieparr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saiklon
Are you sure it's the turbo and not the power steering pump? The power steering pump noise when low on fluid or damaged sounds exactly like a siren.
Just checked the power steering fluid mate, levels are fine.

Had another ride out in it and I can hear the turbo spool at a normal volume, then the whirring noise starts when the turbo really gets going i.e drawing in more air. I have checked all the pipes in the engine bay I could see with the tmic off. Could this be exhaust related?

The car is going back to the garage on Saturday so they can take a look
Old 22 June 2011, 07:44 PM
jamieparr
Scooby Regular

Another quick note, when removing the BPV from the intercooler there was no gasket in between the two. Is this normal?
Old 23 June 2011, 02:01 AM
frodge
Scooby Regular

i had an issue very similar to this , i had no observed leaks anywhere but when i removed the inlet manifold and had a look at the large air intake pipe to the turbo i found a small hole in the flexible part just before the turbo where it bends round the inlet
i have replaced it with a silicone one and the noise has gone .
may not be the same issue with yours but thought i would pitch in an idea
Old 23 June 2011, 08:49 AM
jamieparr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frodge
i had an issue very similar to this , i had no observed leaks anywhere but when i removed the inlet manifold and had a look at the large air intake pipe to the turbo i found a small hole in the flexible part just before the turbo where it bends round the inlet
i have replaced it with a silicone one and the noise has gone .
may not be the same issue with yours but thought i would pitch in an idea
Thanks, I will check this tonight and update with my findings
Old 23 June 2011, 09:09 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to try if you suspect an air leak is get a can of the spray for checking smoke detectors and go round the bay spraying it in areas you suspect. If there is a leak the smoke will be drawn in and you will see white smoke from the exhaust. I tracked down a small crack on an inlet manifold using this method, its pretty effective. Spray should be available from the likes of B@Q.