Notices

Bizzarre problem...

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2011, 09:29 AM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizzarre problem...

I swapped the front speakers from my MY93 wrx with my MY99 Type R yesterday and all went well apart from when i tried my passenger window on the 99, it went down but won't come back up. Nothing is obstructing the mechanism, its as if the switch isn't working, neither the drivers door switch or passenger switch. The motor is making a noise when you press down, but nothing when you press up. After stripping the doors again and trying all the connections, with no difference, i tried the door on the MY93 and low and behold the passenger window isn't working on that at all! I'm assuming its got to be something silly with the wiring as both were working before i started.

Speakers that came out of the Type R were OE Kenwood components, and speakers i took out of the 93 and refitted to the 99 are Infinity components. I only refitted the Kenwood mids from the 99 in the 93, but installed both in the 99.

Any idea's, as im pickled?
Old 21 June 2011, 10:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Speakers will have nowt to do with it, except that while fitting them you have disturbed a connection.

Since afaik you need to remove the window switches to get the door cards off to get at the speakers, (I know you do on a 99 car), that would be my first area for looking: window switches.

Look for bent/corroded pins on the switches. Then it's down to getting hold of a working switch and trying it.

Incidentally: does it work with the speaker off again?
Old 21 June 2011, 11:31 AM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the response Alcazar
Haven't had chance to take the speaker off and swap them back yet, thats my next port of call. Checked the connection on both switches on both cars and all seems fine, no bent/corroded pins. There seems to be no power at all to the 93's passenger window, however the 99 has power to passenger side switch when you press down as you can hear the motor click, however when you press down on the drivers side switch for the passenger window, you don't get anything. Seems unlikely that both cars switches would have developed a fault at the same time, but it is possible i suppose. I'm away for 2 days from today, but when back i'll try to clean all the contact points of the switches, then if no joy, i'll try swapping the speakers back to see if that makes a difference.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:24 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 24 June 2011, 05:35 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Quick update, when i took the door card off the 93 wrx, the clip wasn't connected properly, popped it back in and everything was fine, so thats one car sorted. Swapped the speakers back in the 99 to eradicate them from the problem and it didn't make any difference. So getting hold of 2 spare switches from a mate to try on the weekend to eliminate them, if not the switches, i'd say its most prob the elctric window motor, ah well, the joys of motoring eh!