Notices

Advice please on ECU and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2011, 02:02 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please on ECU and Upgrades

Hi everyone I have a 98 wagon turbo and I have read that I may be a bit fuzzled with the ECU as it may not be mappable. If it isn't what problems will I face with fitting any future upgrades like a sports cat and exhaust, induction kit etc and what are the solutions. What ecu would I be able to fit either aftermarket or other subaru. Will be looking to have a budget of around £1500. Also is the STI suspension(second hand) my best option. Wont be doing any track or street racing but the car as it is seems a bit wallowy if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any advice before I waste any money, Steve.
Old 16 June 2011, 02:05 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As your located in Chesterfield, give Kev a call at scoobyclinic (based in your town)http://www.scoobyclinic.com/contact.htm
Old 16 June 2011, 02:53 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
As your located in Chesterfield, give Kev a call at scoobyclinic (based in your town)http://www.scoobyclinic.com/contact.htm
Thanks fella, I'm only 5mins away from Kevs, he helped me out with the Rad when it went, Very nice bloke and an amazing setup up there, he gave my son the full tour. I've seen the package deal they do at around £1500 for the Simtek/exhuast/induction kit and map setup but would like to do as much as possible myself If I can.
Old 16 June 2011, 02:55 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

You could look at an Apexi ECU or even a Simtek, both would be within budget and could be used for all upgrades to come
Old 16 June 2011, 03:17 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

My last Scooby was a 97 uk car and had same crappy ecu.had full hks decat system,headers and up-pipe.walbro pump and induction kit.went from 208bhp to 256bhp on standard ecu and had spot on fuelling etc when checked by enginetuner.

Last edited by marcevs72; 16 June 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 16 June 2011, 03:40 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcevs72
My last Scooby was a 97 uk car and had same crappy ecu.had full hks decat system,headers and up-pipe.walbro pump and induction kit.went from 208bhp to 256bhp on standard ecu and had spot on fuelling etc when checked by enginetuner.
Ok thanks for that info but the main things I'm worried about if I wasn't to have it mapped after is the fueling and boost spikes. I need to look into this a lot more me thinks.
Old 16 June 2011, 04:01 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

you thinks right. modifications that alter fuelling and air as well as boost require a total remap.
Old 16 June 2011, 04:07 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
you thinks right. modifications that alter fuelling and air as well as boost require a total remap.
Thanks for that fella. I like the sound of the Apexi FC just been reading about it. The fitting side is nice and easy, just the map to sort if I go that route. I also like the sound of scoobyclinics power package and the thought of dropping it off and collecting all done no dirty hands for a change. Anyone had one of the packs fitted to a classic with info would be appreciated.
Old 16 June 2011, 05:54 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

find out first if its an MY98 car or a MY99 car (which started production in Sept 98) if its MY99 its mappable

simple check is where the coil is located on teh engine. MY98 have its slap bang on centre of inlet manifold, MY99 is offset to the right from centre
Old 16 June 2011, 06:13 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
find out first if its an MY98 car or a MY99 car (which started production in Sept 98) if its MY99 its mappable

simple check is where the coil is located on teh engine. MY98 have its slap bang on centre of inlet manifold, MY99 is offset to the right from centre
The coil pack is smack bang in the center of the inlet fella not offset
Old 16 June 2011, 06:47 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

97/98 car. These need an aftermarket ECU and an Apexi will do the job but a better choice would be a Simtek as it has mappable boost but either will do what you need. Start looking in the For Sale Section for a 97/98 auxillary ECU.
Old 16 June 2011, 06:51 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Firez34
Hi everyone I have a 98 wagon turbo and I have read that I may be a bit fuzzled with the ECU as it may not be mappable. If it isn't what problems will I face with fitting any future upgrades like a sports cat and exhaust, induction kit etc and what are the solutions. What ecu would I be able to fit either aftermarket or other subaru. Will be looking to have a budget of around £1500. Also is the STI suspension(second hand) my best option. Wont be doing any track or street racing but the car as it is seems a bit wallowy if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any advice before I waste any money, Steve.
Looks like its a 98 car for definate then,so no ecutec remap(99/00) available then. A 2nd hand apexi maaped to your car should leave you enough to get some sti suspension which is miles better imho than the std uk set up and money well spent when increasing the power of your car.Have a look on here or pistonheads,ebay ,etc.
Old 16 June 2011, 07:11 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Looks like its a 98 car for definate then,so no ecutec remap(99/00) available then. A 2nd hand apexi maaped to your car should leave you enough to get some sti suspension which is miles better imho than the std uk set up and money well spent when increasing the power of your car.Have a look on here or pistonheads,ebay ,etc.
Thanks midnight, that the way I'm going after I've done the brakes this weekend.
Old 16 June 2011, 09:15 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Not much sti suspension on ebay surprisingly ,the only thing i found was this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It is the same set up as mine ,but my springs are blue & struts are silver and not as rusty.This was mega expensive as an upgrade back in 00,but transforms the handling immensley without compromising the overall ride imho.

Last edited by midnight; 16 June 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 17 June 2011, 11:15 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Not much sti suspension on ebay surprisingly ,the only thing i found was this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It is the same set up as mine ,but my springs are blue & struts are silver and not as rusty.This was mega expensive as an upgrade back in 00,but transforms the handling immensley without compromising the overall ride imho.
Cheers for the link midnight, couldn't believe it's ingrams selling it I've dealt with them a lot in the past and always had good parts from them.
Old 17 June 2011, 01:52 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The rustiness of the struts might not be an issue really,its the condition of the damper inside that matters,and being as there bilstein you can always get them overhauled if need be. Maybe offer £240 and see what happens if your interested.