hesitation / misfire

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2011, 10:19 AM
gary79
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation / misfire

hi all
my n/a wagon has a hesitation / misfire under load , read on many forums and web . So far i have changed plugs and leads, moved and cleaned knock sensor as suggested ,helped for a little bit but know come back , checked for fault codes and not showing anything !
I can't pin point it to any sort of time does it when car is warm or cold . it seems to use alot of fuel aswell !

Any info or ideas to get it sorted would be very helpfull

cheers Gary
Old 16 June 2011, 10:51 AM
ccamgem
Scooby Regular

Could be your front O2 sensor if it's using more fuel.

Thanks and how many miles on it.
Old 16 June 2011, 11:49 AM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary79
hi all
my n/a wagon has a hesitation / misfire under load , read on many forums and web . So far i have changed plugs and leads, moved and cleaned knock sensor as suggested ,helped for a little bit but know come back , checked for fault codes and not showing anything !
I can't pin point it to any sort of time does it when car is warm or cold . it seems to use alot of fuel aswell !

Any info or ideas to get it sorted would be very helpfull

cheers Gary
My n/a daily had similar problems a while back, I changed the 02 sensor and it didn't do the trick. Ended up being the MAF at fault but it didn't throw up the code until the problem had occurred for quite a while (2months).

Now my leads are causing some misfire problems (can tell as it only occurs when its wet) so I'm changing my leads and plugs today!

I'd look at the possibility of the coil pack (look for cracks etc), 02 sensor or failing that the MAF. The MAF is expensive (around 300 for a genuine new green label one) so give it a clean with some carb cleaner and a cotton bud but be careful with it. Try the 02 sensor first though (around 70 squid).

I swear my N/A has caused me more trouble than my wrx over the past year or so my wrx has been brilliant not a thing wrong with it
Old 16 June 2011, 01:49 PM
gary79
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ccamgem
Could be your front O2 sensor if it's using more fuel.

Thanks and how many miles on it.
its done 150k ish i will try that next cheers
Old 16 June 2011, 01:51 PM
gary79
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sunny1989
My n/a daily had similar problems a while back, I changed the 02 sensor and it didn't do the trick. Ended up being the MAF at fault but it didn't throw up the code until the problem had occurred for quite a while (2months).

Now my leads are causing some misfire problems (can tell as it only occurs when its wet) so I'm changing my leads and plugs today!

I'd look at the possibility of the coil pack (look for cracks etc), 02 sensor or failing that the MAF. The MAF is expensive (around 300 for a genuine new green label one) so give it a clean with some carb cleaner and a cotton bud but be careful with it. Try the 02 sensor first though (around 70 squid).

I swear my N/A has caused me more trouble than my wrx over the past year or so my wrx has been brilliant not a thing wrong with it

where is the MAF been loooking for it but cant seem to find it forget to say car is 1999 version 5
Old 16 June 2011, 01:58 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Failing Fuel pump can also cause this and will not throw any CEL.
Failing MAF will usually cause erratic idle and stalling and a CEL in worst case scenario.
Failed/ing Lambda will usually store a code.
Old 18 June 2011, 10:18 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary79
where is the MAF been loooking for it but cant seem to find it forget to say car is 1999 version 5
on the earlier model mine (its on the intake) slotted into the air box pipework assembly at the front of the engine bay, but on the version 5 its towards the top of engine bay and is in the form of a plug thats slots into the airbox assembly (just before the airbox).

good news for you is if it is the maf its a damn site cheaper on the v5 as its a different design. about 70 quid instead of 300!!!