Notices

overboost after fitting hks mushroom...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2011, 10:12 PM
sti_shwa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overboost after fitting hks mushroom...HELP!!

Hi guys, newly registered and in need of a bit of sound advice please.

ive got an early classic wrx that ive bought with a few light mods (free-flow exhaust and elbow, k&n cone filter, uprated bov and powerchips remap).

this week ive added an uprated ARC top mount intercooler and a hks mushroom induction kit.

on the drive home tonight the car started overboosting on full throttle.

previously it would hold solid at 1bar but now swings round to over 1bar at full throttle openings.

what is likely to have caused this? i noticed when fitting the hks filter that compared to the k&n cone that came off, theres a hose that comes off the bottom of what i think is the boost solenoid that now goes to the metal tube that came with the induction kit (tube has 2 takeoffs, one for a breather and the other for this pipe), on the k&n, the tube went directly into the base of the cone filter. could the revised position (after the airflow meter instead of before) have something to do with this?

also, because of the new position, i have had to use some silicone vacuum hose (of same diameter, but seems a fair bit softer than the stock hose) from the solenoid to the metal intake pipe, could this be collapsing under suction from the turbo and causing a false signal?

any help, experience or advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated. in the mean time im going to have to potter the car about and see what info i can get.

thanks
Old 09 June 2011, 11:47 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

the bottom hose of the boost sellunoid that connected to the filter has a restrictor pill fitted inside the tube, it needs to be refitted and piped back to the intake so the sellunoid know whats going on

you could always just knock it back on the actuator for a quick fix but idealy you need an esl, apexi, simtec etc etc to run all that safely.
Old 10 June 2011, 08:10 AM
sti_shwa
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that. teah was thinking last night that first step should be to refit that bottom hose with an extended piece to reach.
i'll give that a try and see what happens.
Old 12 June 2011, 07:43 PM
sti_shwa
Scooby Newbie

excellent stuff, just to confirm, ive refitted the original hose with the little pill in and extended it to reach. OVERBOOST FIXED!! thanks dbay.

as mentioned the car has been mapped anyhow, effectively the only difference now is the addition of the arc top-mount. do want to look into esl mapping though and some supporting mods to get the car to 300hp.

cheers