Notices

WRX Import V2 320-340 bhp?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2011, 07:52 AM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Import V2 320-340 bhp?

Hi guys i am sure this subject has been covered before so i apologise in advance, i have a V2 WRX import that i al looking to get to 320-340 BHP, now my question is what will i need to change to achieve this figure, from my research i know i will need to have fitted

ESL Daughter Board or aftermarket ECU (pros and cons of each?)
Larger TMI or FMI
Exhaust system with decat (got this already)
Bigger injectors (what size?)

thanks in advance for your answers !
Old 18 April 2011, 08:12 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

is it a jdm or uk?

to be honest i reckon your bhp figure is abit optimistic for standard wrx internals & gearbox. at that sort of power upwards its going to start costing large amounts of money for the car to run safely & well

Needs to be mapped with something like an apexi power fc by a pro, front mount intercooler, bigger injectors, hows the ageing turbo? over 340/350 the tdo5 turbo will possibly be running flat out. then there is the old pistons & bearings etc.

If you want to keep it safe & run 280 - 300 bhp (like me) then fit a pre programmed chip in the 4th socket in your ecu - i would recommend the scoobyecu chip. This will alter the fuel to run on super unleaded & the supporting mods are decat system, good panel filter & a healthy engine.
Even this power can make coil packs play up if they are getting old & cracked.....

sure someone though will be along with a more detailed bit of info
Old 18 April 2011, 08:19 AM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
is it a jdm or uk?

to be honest i reckon your bhp figure is abit optimistic for standard wrx internals & gearbox. at that sort of power upwards its going to start costing large amounts of money for the car to run safely & well

Needs to be mapped with something like an apexi power fc by a pro, front mount intercooler, bigger injectors, hows the ageing turbo? over 340/350 the tdo5 turbo will possibly be running flat out. then there is the old pistons & bearings etc.

If you want to keep it safe & run 280 - 300 bhp (like me) then fit a pre programmed chip in the 4th socket in your ecu - i would recommend the scoobyecu chip. This will alter the fuel to run on super unleaded & the supporting mods are decat system, good panel filter & a healthy engine.
Even this power can make coil packs play up if they are getting old & cracked.....

sure someone though will be along with a more detailed bit of info
Hi mate it is a JDM so i believe it should be 260 bhp, the ageing transmission and engine was a little worry to me tbh, i am sure the engine is healthy as i keeps up with my freinds STI that has a RR for 276 bhp.
whats this scoobyecu chip ? it is a generic chip to raise fueling and boost ? where are they avalable from ? have you had any problems ?
thanks
Old 18 April 2011, 08:39 AM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

i have a 95 wrx v limited, standard 260ps. i have been told 300 is about the limit on standard injectors. exhaust and top mount are good for 350 i think.
as above, i have also sourced an alternative map on a chip to go into the ecu,s spare socket. although mine is a jap spec map that requires 100ron, i am currently using evoscan to log what my ecu is doing before i use the alternative map.

esl daughterboards are about 500-550 supplied and fitted.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:46 AM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greendragonkungfu
i have a 95 wrx v limited, standard 260ps. i have been told 300 is about the limit on standard injectors. exhaust and top mount are good for 350 i think.
as above, i have also sourced an alternative map on a chip to go into the ecu,s spare socket. although mine is a jap spec map that requires 100ron, i am currently using evoscan to log what my ecu is doing before i use the alternative map.

esl daughterboards are about 500-550 supplied and fitted.
yeah i may just get a chip for my ecu then, and less power, not sure if a esl is a little over kill for the mods i got planned

Last edited by wazzawrx; 18 April 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 18 April 2011, 08:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

If you want to do it properly and safely, see my garage No guarantees though. Mine is capable of more power with some ignition advance on the map, but its been mapped to save the box.

<-------------------
Old 18 April 2011, 10:36 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

Hi im doing a similar power increase on 95 import wrx bin told to get 440cc injectors also a Carl Davey fitting kit because diff fitting on v2 cars walbro 255 fuel pump fmic a fuel pressure reg also a full decat system with a esl board and ported exhaust headers plus a map and shud get about 340 any more and your internals mite wave goodbye hope this helps
Old 18 April 2011, 10:57 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

Plan for 300 bhp then look to the cars handling. Power is nothing without control. Thats my plan. Chasing these big bhp figures can be a waste of time and money. Look for a fast road setup. Reduce weight, look at the cars power to weight.
Old 19 April 2011, 08:20 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stucooper
Hi im doing a similar power increase on 95 import wrx bin told to get 440cc injectors also a Carl Davey fitting kit because diff fitting on v2 cars walbro 255 fuel pump fmic a fuel pressure reg also a full decat system with a esl board and ported exhaust headers plus a map and shud get about 340 any more and your internals mite wave goodbye hope this helps
no need to get or port your headers unless 400bhp+ is your target, the subaru ones are perfectly adequate

dont forget your internals on that power, you will be pushing them very hard.

as mentioned, 300 max is ok, but work on also the handling & definately the brakes....
Old 19 April 2011, 08:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brakes (a good 4 pot setup, subaru 4 pots min, AP's are much better though ), injectors will be pushing it, so will the top mount, your going to have to go front mount really for over 300bhp on that age of car, a 2.5 inch exhaust will suffice also, if you go fmic then you need a caik (cold air induction kit) really as you cant use your airbox but in reallity you would have to change alot to get that sort of power out of your car properly (fuel pump, injectors, brakes, maybe suspension as its going to be a little tired, fmic, induction, exhaust, ecu/chip etc).

Tony
Old 19 April 2011, 06:04 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
no need to get or port your headers unless 400bhp+ is your target, the subaru ones are perfectly adequate

dont forget your internals on that power, you will be pushing them very hard.

as mentioned, 300 max is ok, but work on also the handling & definately the brakes....
hi yeah mite leave the headers thanks and yeh as tony says brakes big defo ive got kyb suspension and 4 pots already on also when raising power on a classic try not to get hung up on bhp numbers the classic is much lighter than the modern cars and have bin known to be quicker than bigger bhp newer cars power to weight etc
Old 20 April 2011, 08:29 AM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

i think after listening to alot of peoples views on here and because i dont fancy a engine rebuild or gearbox swap i think i will aim for a healthy 300bhp.
To achieve this i am going to go for a chip as mentioned by timmyajmy93wrx, but also change the slanty TMI as i was out yesterday and noticed a drop in power, can only assume a rise in intake temps because of the hot weather.
The rest of my budget will be spent on handeling mods, I already have belstein shocks with Eibach springs, 21mm front arb, 24mm rear arb, front and rear strut braces, need four decent tyres and geometry set up and see how she is from there.
Any suggestions to what i have planned would be great !
Thanks
Warren
Old 22 April 2011, 05:30 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Utter bollocks. Ported headers will improve the performance of any Subaru whether standard, slightly modified or fully modified. Anyone fitting a set of these done properly will immediately feel the benefits and the willingness or urgency that would not have been there before. Coupling this with a matched uppipe leads to significant improvements in torque and bhp.
Perhaps you were thinking of tubular headers???
Old 22 April 2011, 10:40 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

sorry my bad yeh i meant no need to change from subaru ones as they can handle the power.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:56 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad we cleared that up Tim as most of your posts are very sensible.
Ported headers with a matched uppipe will give a good improvement on any car, standard or otherwise. At some point tubular headers become an option but unfortunately the uppipe supplied with the 3 bolt tubular headers GT2 type is a complete disaster hence my specially designed 3 bolt uppipe that provides tremendous performance enhancements with the tubular headers.
The critical factors in getting the best from these cars is the selection of the right turbo for what you want to achieve, the right headers and uppipe and the right mapper. Everything else falls in to place.