Notices

Thermostat info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2011, 07:30 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat info needed

Can anyone tell me how much a stat opens, I've got overheating issues tried everything n this is my last option.

Took it out put in a small glass jug and filled with boiling water out of the kettle,well instantly opened but only say 2/3mm then closed 2 mins later. Is this sufficient , I've never had issues with stats before so a new one to me, any comments appreciated cheers in advance
Old 12 April 2011, 09:43 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 12 April 2011, 09:50 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds fine to me mate tbho,3-4mm would be all they open too and its surprising when you drop a thermometer into the water that comes out of the kettle how quickly it starts to cool so the stat wouldn't stay open long.
Have you had a flow test done on the radiator?
Old 12 April 2011, 10:02 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Sounds fine to me mate tbho,3-4mm would be all they open too and its surprising when you drop a thermometer into the water that comes out of the kettle how quickly it starts to cool so the stat wouldn't stay open long.
Have you had a flow test done on the radiator?
ive plumbed a hose into it and seems to flow ok. did the pump couple weeks ago while i changed the cam belt. not had any overheating issues really .seems to get to temp fan kicks in and dont turn off and left long enough the water boils in the header tank,temp still normal ,bottom hose cold.and only overheats when you start to drive 100 yds up the road, as you slow the temp slowly comes down
Old 12 April 2011, 10:06 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a air lock to me mate,have you back filled through the turbo water pipe that comes up to the header tank?
Also it can have an air lock in the heater matrix which can need the engine running and pull the pipe on the bulk head off and on a bit to let the air lock out.
Old 12 April 2011, 10:13 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a air lock to me mate,have you back filled through the turbo water pipe that comes up to the header tank?
Also it can have an air lock in the heater matrix which can need the engine running and pull the pipe on the bulk head off and on a bit to let the air lock out.
i emptyed the system and filled via the top hose never really had beading issues with these ,just burped it for half hour of so all goes calm ,as said in previouse boils over big time ,i had water in the passenger footwell sunday then it exploded in an overheating incident yesterday (steam out the vents) so bypassed the matrix tonight and still overheating
Old 12 April 2011, 10:16 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esxboy1
i emptyed the system and filled via the top hose never really had beading issues with these ,just burped it for half hour of so all goes calm ,as said in previouse boils over big time ,i had water in the passenger footwell sunday then it exploded in an overheating incident yesterday (steam out the vents) so bypassed the matrix tonight and still overheating
You do have over heating issues there don't you,it must really be building up some pressure which would lead me to think about having a sniff test done for HG failure.
Have you tried to run it without a stat in?
Old 12 April 2011, 10:25 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

You do have over heating issues there don't you,it must really be building up some pressure which would lead me to think about having a sniff test done for HG failure.
Have you tried to run it without a stat in?
no not yet ,after i bypassed the matrix i got 7L of water in it ,bled it , eventually boiled over.temp gauge still in centre so stuck the cap on drove round corner and temp shot up soon as i started driving.limped back home.ripped rad out ,then thermostat out out.gave up for the night .so googled the stat test ,tried it,opens like a *** paper size gap. seems like a pretty slim marging for a 3" hose of water to squeez past
Old 12 April 2011, 10:30 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when i was testing my stat a kettle wasnt good enough to test it.

i was lucky enough to have one of those infared beams that measures heat etc,the water out the kettle was only like 75 degrees,the stat opens at 78 but if old,nearer 80 degrees (bit lazy etc)

i put a jug of water in the microwave to test,stat should open up near an inch,so if its only a couple of mm,either the water isnt hot enough or stat is fecked
Old 12 April 2011, 10:47 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

ok ,so i just put it in a pan of boiling water on the hob while it was boiling and it opened up to about 5/6 mm, little bit more but is it enough
Old 12 April 2011, 10:51 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no,5-6mm is not enough,when i tested my old one,it opened about 1" (the cork part "grew" LOL 1")
Old 12 April 2011, 11:05 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
no,5-6mm is not enough,when i tested my old one,it opened about 1" (the cork part "grew" LOL 1")
dont get me wrong i want the problem to b the stat,but thinking about it has a gap although a small one ,so surely over time enough water will pass. if i bung the elbow back on the pump minus the stat while i wait for the new one to arrive, will it that show if the stat is the problem,will it just take ages to heat up enought for the fans to kick in ?.

to add a note i bought the car real cheap a little while back because it had a bad water leak ,it had a **** load of rad weld in the system to which he admitted because i could smell n c it straight away,when i changed the pump did not think to buy a stat so new pump in hand ,car in bits i just chucked in the old stat,could the contamination feckked it.ive flushed the system like 4/5 times now and its very nearly clear now ,dont wanna put in antifreeez till ive sorted overheating issue ,because its money down the drain literally
Old 12 April 2011, 11:10 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

maybe the system is blocked somewhere else with all that rad weld.
Old 12 April 2011, 11:14 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

that thought has crossed my mind but what to do,dont think there is any thing to use that will break that sh$t down in a flush
Old 12 April 2011, 11:32 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

just refering back to another post to which no one replyed to ,does it matter which way the two hoses go back on the two 1/2" outlets on the water pump because i forgot which one went on where so just plumbed in regardless asuming both pipes are just pumped