Notices

Fuel vapour smell ai idle and then when coming OFF WOT

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2011, 05:38 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel vapour smell ai idle and then when coming OFF WOT

Its not a constant issue,only when say,driving the car,pull up at lights,you can smell it,if idling for a few minutes,it goes after a while,then comes back again at the next set of lights.

Used to think it was exhaust Fumes but pretty sure it isnt (as i cant find a darn leak anywhere) and it smells just like when you remove the filler cap and get the pressure hiss out (although i thought the carbon canister was supposed to remove this ? )

anyhoo,classic 95 WRX with engine adjustments of 2003 TMIC, blitz exhaust,hks d/v,standard intake system with a panel k&n.

Now,i seem to of only had this issue with the Blitz exhaust,hence thinkin it was a leak,im running the bung also,but at idle,you can smell fuel vapour thru the air vents inside the car and when giving it WOT no smell but when throttling off wow,big smell of fuel vapour.
i tighten down the boot thinking maybe exhaust fumes,still does it,windows open or shut,still does it.door seals replaced,still does it.
Ifi have a quick smell in the engine bay after driving,i can smell a faint whiff but cant pinpoint it to any exact location.

ive checked the carbon cansiter lines for pipes fallen off etc,all piping seems to be intacked.

could the canister be "full" or all charged out of absorbing these vapours ?

im still running the Z4 ECU.

cheers

Last edited by The Rig; 11 April 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11 April 2011, 05:52 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try smelling around where the turbo is, as on my classic there is a little ruber pipe that come from the fule rail and runs under the turbo by where the turbo inlet pipes joins the turbo. that can get old mine smelt it but i could not see the drips as it was very slight but then one day i saw it when the sun light was shining in the right palce to just see it
Old 11 April 2011, 06:01 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

o.k bud,will check

cheers
Old 11 April 2011, 06:07 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Also having a similer problem. Ill watch this thread.

Just a quick note though, have you checked your fuel filler pipe? Mine looks like it has seen better days, so i imagine any kind of hole in that will let out fuel vapour. I am trying to get the b@stard off to have a good look at it.
Old 11 April 2011, 06:11 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah,thats all in good nick,i can clearly smell it thru the vents in the dash,which leads me to point into the engine etc,very annoying,at idle,not too bad,bit embarrasing but bearable for a few mins,if i give it large,well,very embarrasing,the vapour smell is very very strong but only when off the throttle pedla,when on it,no issues,i could give it beans on full throttle for ages with no smell,throttle off,pow,vapour smell

i did think it was the 2003 TMIC maybe not fitted properly,but i shouldnt get any fuel/vapour smells from there o i have been told even if it were fitted wrong/leaky
Old 11 April 2011, 06:15 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

No you wouldnt get such a strong smell from the TMIC. I have spent weeks trying to locate my smell aswell. I am putting mine down to either the filler pipe or dodgy injectors. Any missing during acceleration at all?
Old 11 April 2011, 06:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

No missing at all,car drives as good as it can,for being on a Z4 with the slight mods i have (forgot to mention the Ninja sports CAT) it could do with remapping but dont want to go down that route LOL,plenty of £££
Old 11 April 2011, 06:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

if i could find a cheap enough one new i would swap the charcoal canister to remove that from my list,but i can only find 2nd hand ones
Old 11 April 2011, 06:26 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

maybe try one from a newer car, like a 1999. is it using more fuel than normal? (which is a hard question i know, it is a subaru after all lol)
Old 11 April 2011, 06:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah,could do.

LOL @ MPG,yeah,it varies depending on journeys as it does,but just done 75 miles on £20 @1.40 alitre so,24 mpg

i could do a few more miles to increase the mpg but then i will be brimming the tank.
Old 11 April 2011, 08:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

16 year old rubber fuel hoses ?
Old 11 April 2011, 09:11 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

had fuel smell at idle sometimes just like you did. turned out to be a weak clip on one of the fuel lines around the fuel filter.
go for a spin, pull over n lift the bonnet n have a look?
my leak was small enough not to leave any wet patches as it evaporated quickly, but with the bonet up, i could just about see fuel leaking
Old 11 April 2011, 10:25 PM
gordy07
Scooby Regular

I just found a leak on a fuel pipe going from my fuel pressure regulator to the injector,mine has fuel modifications but you could have a similar leak on possibly a return pipe the smell i used to get through the heaters and when you walked round the car was really strong its now gone.
Old 12 April 2011, 03:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,ive had a good look round and cant find ny visible leaks.

I did have a look at the purge canister pipes etc and noticed the outlet goes direct to the throttle body when the pressure builds up.

Since i have fitted the 2003 TMIC to my 95 classic i have always wondered if its this,but as discussed aa few posts back no fumes should be coming from here,but,the purge canister pipe goes into the throttle body so if this is purging and the silicone pipe from intercooler to throttle body has a gap,maybe ?

so i had a look and the silicone pipe does kinda have a gap underneath,where its cut short theres not alot of give when the TMIC and throttle body mate via this pipe,so i have splurged some silicone around the inside of the pipe and also on the outside underneath to try and seal it,will update when i can etc
Old 12 April 2011, 05:46 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Lets hope thats it mate...
Old 12 April 2011, 05:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah,fingers crossed,just cluchting at straws now really as every other feasable option draws a blank,so edging towards the weird/unlikely but you never now

it has only done it since the Blitz/newer TMIC so maybe just conicidence etc but hey,gotta try these things LOL

If this doesnt work,next on the list is the breathers,if this can cause anything ? as i see some small black boxes on top of the block that breather pipes go into,maybe these are blocked,dunno,another clutch at some straws LOL

cheers