Notices

Dropped 6 litres of engine oil?!?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2011, 08:52 AM
Morzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped 6 litres of engine oil?!?

Morning all,

A little confused, changed my oil last night as it was long overdue, put 4.5 litres in as the book says.

Came to empty the old oil into the oil can and it filled it, and another 1 litre bottle!! little worried that it was overfilled before, but the dipstick was showing as normal?

Hope mine will be OK as ive only put 4.5 litres in it!!
Old 30 March 2011, 09:11 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it show up as high on the dipstick before you emptied it?

Also was the engine cold or hot?
Old 30 March 2011, 09:27 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

was the oil really thin and smelling of petrol? could be a sign of the engine bore washing and running rich. If its changed and sitting at the right level now then there is nothing else you can do, so dont worry about it!
Old 30 March 2011, 10:45 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Morzy
Morning all,

A little confused, changed my oil last night as it was long overdue, put 4.5 litres in as the book says.

Came to empty the old oil into the oil can and it filled it, and another 1 litre bottle!! little worried that it was overfilled before, but the dipstick was showing as normal?

Hope mine will be OK as ive only put 4.5 litres in it!!
I hope you pre-filled/oiled the oil filter first and did it by the book and primed the system properly subarus are particularly sensitive to oil changes and a lot fail within 200miles of a change if not done 'by the book' - if not do a search on here on oil change or big end failures!
Old 30 March 2011, 10:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
I hope you pre-filled/oiled the oil filter first and did it by the book and primed the system properly subarus are particularly sensitive to oil changes and a lot fail within 200miles of a change if not done 'by the book' - if not do a search on here on oil change or big end failures!
When you say "done by the book" I assume you simply mean 'done as per the many threads on Scoobynet' as there is no mention of even pre-filling the filter, let alone priming the system, in the handbook!

JohnD
Old 30 March 2011, 11:11 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
When you say "done by the book" I assume you simply mean 'done as per the many threads on Scoobynet' as there is no mention of even pre-filling the filter, let alone priming the system, in the handbook!

JohnD
Best not to take things to literally, i believe the handbook gives oil amounts with or without filter changes, meaning how much 'extra' to allow with a filter change. i was always told to prime any filter before fitting it to a car, not just Subaru's and really it is common sense. Also i have always primed the oil system by cranking the car with the coil/ignition disconnected. My old and wise car mechanics teacher and also my dad taught this as best practice and it is common sense
Old 30 March 2011, 12:28 PM
Morzy
Scooby Regular

I filled the filter before it was put on the car, but with regards priming the engine first, no.

I see no point in this, as you dont prime your engine in the morning before you go to work? so why should you prime it after the oil has been out for 10 minutes - there is still plenty of oil to lubricate the system.
Old 30 March 2011, 12:29 PM
Morzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaffe
was the oil really thin and smelling of petrol? could be a sign of the engine bore washing and running rich. If its changed and sitting at the right level now then there is nothing else you can do, so dont worry about it!
Yeah all changed now so fingers crossed it will be OK.

I have just taken a crappy dump valve off as i suspected it was overfuelling, so all being well that should be the end of that!

Thanks for your help.
Old 30 March 2011, 12:54 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

i was always told to prime any filter before fitting it to a car, not just Subaru's and really it is common sense. Also i have always primed the oil system by cranking the car with the coil/ignition disconnected.
Not posible with most engines, especially bmws, and vw, as when the oil filter cap is off all the residual oil goes to sump, and so all you would do is fill the sump if you poured oil into this cavity, but prehaps those engines were not around in the time of your old mentor. And most other systems the filter is horizontal and so cannot be filled with oil. Im not saying it doesnt help, but it certainly is not nesesary, especiallly with such a small oil filter as a subaru one. The fact the pump is full of oil and the pickup pipe is well primed, and the fact the engine was probably running only a few minutes prior means there will be ample oil round the bearings and the pump, unless it is knackered will draw the oil within seconds. Hence the one main thing to do with any oil change is watch the oil light go out upon startup. Mine does this instantly, fialure to do this would posibly mean a knackered oil pump, or worse.
Old 30 March 2011, 01:42 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

quick question what tool (size) is used to remove the sump bolt, going to summon up the energy/inclination to change oil and filter next week.
Old 30 March 2011, 02:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Not posible with most engines, especially bmws, and vw, as when the oil filter cap is off all the residual oil goes to sump, and so all you would do is fill the sump if you poured oil into this cavity, but prehaps those engines were not around in the time of your old mentor. And most other systems the filter is horizontal and so cannot be filled with oil. Im not saying it doesnt help, but it certainly is not nesesary, especiallly with such a small oil filter as a subaru one. The fact the pump is full of oil and the pickup pipe is well primed, and the fact the engine was probably running only a few minutes prior means there will be ample oil round the bearings and the pump, unless it is knackered will draw the oil within seconds. Hence the one main thing to do with any oil change is watch the oil light go out upon startup. Mine does this instantly, fialure to do this would posibly mean a knackered oil pump, or worse.
Hardly 'most engines', some engines have horizontal filters and again common sense would dictate that you cannot and do not pre-oil it and am surprised i would need to spell that out.

priming the engine has gone on since engines have been about and common (good) practice. Heh each to their own however Subaru engines are sensitive to oil changes being done a specific way and a search on here would be a wise move
Old 30 March 2011, 02:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Morzy
I filled the filter before it was put on the car, but with regards priming the engine first, no.

I see no point in this, as you dont prime your engine in the morning before you go to work? so why should you prime it after the oil has been out for 10 minutes - there is still plenty of oil to lubricate the system.
Its advice, take it or leave it

Last edited by The Zohan; 30 March 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 30 March 2011, 02:26 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
quick question what tool (size) is used to remove the sump bolt, going to summon up the energy/inclination to change oil and filter next week.
17mm spanner i think, wasnt taking notes lol
Old 30 March 2011, 04:49 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

I agree its sensible to fill the filter only really because you can and it wont do any harm but to be honest a lot of the threads ive read about bigend failure on here were proberly because the engine was knackered before the oil change as when asked nearly everybody says they pre filled the filter.That said when i kept ohv fords i always pulled the plugs out and primed the system as thats what i was taught.
Old 30 March 2011, 04:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Best not to take things to literally, i believe the handbook gives oil amounts with or without filter changes, meaning how much 'extra' to allow with a filter change. i was always told to prime any filter before fitting it to a car, not just Subaru's and really it is common sense. Also i have always primed the oil system by cranking the car with the coil/ignition disconnected. My old and wise car mechanics teacher and also my dad taught this as best practice and it is common sense
I've been pre-filling oil filters since the '60's

JohnD
Old 30 March 2011, 04:58 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
I've been pre-filling oil filters since the '60's

JohnD
a lot has changed since then lol, people used to lap valves in too!
Old 30 March 2011, 05:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Except during the period that (certainly with Ford) inlet valves had an 'aluminised' coating.

If you're re-building, you still do!

JohnD
Old 30 March 2011, 05:23 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

You missed out the golden years Burtons performace stage 3 chambered heads on lotus flat top pistons in a 1700ohv block twin 40s 150+ bhp mind you back then we had mans oil filters not these piddly things nowadays

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 30 March 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 30 March 2011, 05:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A very old picture of my engine bay as it was from japan,alot has changed,anyhoo,try pre-filling my oil filter ! (behind the drivers headlight)

Old 30 March 2011, 05:50 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

That might get slightly messy